cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

So who's in the class of 2013/14?

John_Joey
Explorer
Explorer
I always enjoy seeing who is just starting out, and those that are keeping it going. Hopefully it will be a large class this year and not a dying lifestyle (FWIW, it's a good lifestyle if you're thinking about it.)

For us it will be our 6'th year. Big change is we sold the Class A and picked up a 5'ver which we now store down south. Will drive the SUV down like so many other snowbirds taking just a few days and then staying in one spot for the winter (that we've come to enjoy.) It sure does help make the bank roll thicker I'll say that much.

I can truthfully say that DW and I are already getting hitch itch, and we haven't even packed (plus, we no longer have a hitch to itch:(.) I'm betting that before next snowbird season we'll be mobile RV'ers once again. Just can't seem to shake the need to see what's around the next corner :). As long as we're young in body, mind, and physically capable, why not!

How about you?
Thereโ€™s no fool, like an old fool.
61 REPLIES 61

Poppo1
Explorer
Explorer
I Retired Nov 1st and we're headed to Arizona in January ... me and DW are counting the days. Still keeping the S&B, it's party central for the kids and grandkids. The taxes are a killer but can't let go yet. We are going to make our way to Quartzsite and see the big show. Then to Lake Havasu City booked at the Refuge Golf and Spa Resort for the month of Feb ... all the golf we can play. I'm a little concerned that after a few lessons and all that golf the DW might beat me. In March we plan to head to Roswell and Carlsbad then to San Antonio, Galveston on to New Orleans and the Gulf coast. Hope to make the FMCA Rally in Perry GA then to Myrtle Beach, Charlotte, State College PA then home for April 1st.
The rig is winterized, covered and fluffed and buffed...I just can't wait to get in the seat and drive away ... I should have been a bus driver! Safe travels to all!
Jim (Poppo) & Ellen Cunha
45' 2009 Sportscoach Legend 500TG
500 HP Cummins ISM, Allison 4000 MT
Freightliner XCP Chassis
TOAD 2008 Jeep Commander, Blue Ox Aventra /Patriot Brake

bob_nestor
Explorer III
Explorer III
Well, I'm already in Texas - been here for the last 30+ years. But I got RIF'd two weeks ago and decided the hell with it, I'll just retire since I've been ready for the last couple of years anyway. Got the retirement toys already purchased and everything is paid off, so it's about time to enjoy new things. The GF still has a couple more years to go before she can retire, but planning vacations is quite a bit easier now.

Since I'm originally from the far north I'm curious what the term is for a reverse snowbirder, i.e. one who lives in the sunbelt and travels north for the summer?

John_Joey
Explorer
Explorer
Saco River Rambler wrote:
... Our goal is 4 months out of this nest where we already have seen snow. Florida till April then back to Gulf Shores, AL is the loose plan for now so it seems we will fall into the group known as Snowbirds!

Sounds like a great plan, welcome to snowbirding.
Thereโ€™s no fool, like an old fool.

Saco_River_Ramb
Explorer
Explorer
Yo - Just us chickens ready to abandon the roost. Have done 2 - 100 day trips to AK in the summer about 14,500 miles each. Have been doing Gulf Shores, Alabama end of March all of April going home the first week of May for the last 4 years In our Nash 19-B.

The Nash is gone and now & we are rolling along in a new Bullet Premier 22RBPR w-1 slide. Our goal is 4 months out of this nest where we already have seen snow. Florida till April then back to Gulf Shores, AL is the loose plan for now so it seems we will fall into the group known as Snowbirds!
13-Tundra 4.6 - 14-Bullet Premier 22-RBPR TT
Hensley Arrow Hitch
Favorite Quote from Jim & Mary: "If not now - when?"

Falcon35
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks that would be nice.
Paul
2012 Georgetown 378TS 2008 Honda Fit
ReadyBrake Surge Brake System integrated with ReadyBruteโ„ข Elite RV Tow Bar

her_I
Explorer
Explorer
Falcon35 wrote:
her&I wrote:
Falcon35 wrote:
her&I wrote:
Now officially on our way to the RGV. Left a cold, wet Ontario this morning and are now just out of Chicago where we are staying for the night.

Have a safe trip.
We will be coming your way in the new year make sure you get the weather nice and warm. Have you got reservations? I'm planning on finding a park when we get there. We have always made reservations but want to try a new park this year.

We have a nice small place at Sun N Fun in San Benito. Lots of activities and great people. Should give it a look.

At one time I know two fellows from Sun and Fun and they liked it there. We have friends in the center valley and want to be further west.

Maybe you can arrange to drop over for one of our monthly Canada dinners

Falcon35
Explorer
Explorer
her&I wrote:
Falcon35 wrote:
her&I wrote:
Now officially on our way to the RGV. Left a cold, wet Ontario this morning and are now just out of Chicago where we are staying for the night.

Have a safe trip.
We will be coming your way in the new year make sure you get the weather nice and warm. Have you got reservations? I'm planning on finding a park when we get there. We have always made reservations but want to try a new park this year.

We have a nice small place at Sun N Fun in San Benito. Lots of activities and great people. Should give it a look.

At one time I know two fellows from Sun and Fun and they liked it there. We have friends in the center valley and want to be further west.

her_I
Explorer
Explorer
Falcon35 wrote:
her&I wrote:

Have a safe trip.

Falcon35
Explorer
Explorer
her&I wrote:

Have a safe trip.

her_I
Explorer
Explorer

miner1
Explorer
Explorer
We are 'younger retirees' ages 54 & 55 joining the class of 2013. Unfortunately, we are still in the cold of the north ๐Ÿ˜ž Aren't quite prepared to head out for an extended time. Wife has small home-based hobby/business, then there is the cat, and finally, trailer not big enough to spend extended time in. We will get there though....still adjusting to the 'new life', but very much enjoying ourselves!! Hope to see you all for happy hour in warm temps sometime soon.
2021 Grand Design Reflection 297RSTS
Equalizer Hitch
2020 F350 Powerstroke
2-2000 Honda Gennys

Albertaguy
Explorer
Explorer
John S wrote:
Alberta guy,

What was the problem with the Yuma weather last year?

We are thinking of visiting Yuma this winter..

I was there Dec. 31st to Mar. 1st and the weather during this time was cold and I might say fairly windy. This was my 5th time down there and this was the worst winter I had seen. I will say that there were some nice days but really not the norm. I am going down again this year in the same time frame and hope that last year was an anomaly, but time will tell.

John_S2
Explorer
Explorer
Alberta guy,

What was the problem with the Yuma weather last year?

We are thinking of visiting Yuma this winter..
John & Peg S.
99 Coachman Class C - 24ft

Wolf3gang
Explorer
Explorer
Both retired in August. Left Chicago area Oct 1, spending time with sons, wives, and grandchildren on way. Will end up in FL for our 1st "snow birding" season. What a new beginning in the journey of life.