Sometimes we win... Newest National Park

Yosemite_Sam1
Explorer
Explorer
31 REPLIES 31

agesilaus
Explorer II
Explorer II
Does it really give you pleasure to play word games like I recall my seven year olds enjoying so much. Adults usually grow out of that stage.
Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2018 RAM 2500 6.7L 4WD shortbed
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper

Yosemite_Sam1
Explorer
Explorer
tomman58 wrote:
agesilaus wrote:
I already posted the link, and without stupid political commentary about 20 messages ago. I really doubt that anyone is looking to create new coal mines since the existing ones are on life support. As for other mines unless you live in a cave and wear animal skins and eat what you catch or grow, you have no right to criticize what provides you with food, shelter, clothing and transportation. You are a hypocrite in other words

Hardly, As I said "the coal industry to pollute rivers and streams again You choose the words you wanted to read.. The coal industry is dead but as the tRump put forth his "executive" mandate to allow polluting the rivers and streams for the dying coal industry show little care for us or the USA.
This not a political message but fact, period.
As for someones comment as to where the lands are kept for us, it is in places of lesser public disadvantage where possible.
I have never been to the north shore of Alaska but still think it shouldn't be lessened from oil drilling.
I am hardly a hypocrite but am an American interested in saving as much as possible for other future RVers and their kids.

Thank you!

tomman58
Explorer
Explorer
agesilaus wrote:
I already posted the link, and without stupid political commentary about 20 messages ago. I really doubt that anyone is looking to create new coal mines since the existing ones are on life support. As for other mines unless you live in a cave and wear animal skins and eat what you catch or grow, you have no right to criticize what provides you with food, shelter, clothing and transportation. You are a hypocrite in other words

Hardly, As I said "the coal industry to pollute rivers and streams again You choose the words you wanted to read.. The coal industry is dead but as the tRump put forth his "executive" mandate to allow polluting the rivers and streams for the dying coal industry show little care for us or the USA.
This not a political message but fact, period.
As for someones comment as to where the lands are kept for us, it is in places of lesser public disadvantage where possible.
I have never been to the north shore of Alaska but still think it shouldn't be lessened from oil drilling.
I am hardly a hypocrite but am an American interested in saving as much as possible for other future RVers and their kids.
2015 GMC D/A, CC 4x4/ Z71 ,3.73,IBC SLT+
2018 Jayco 338RETS
2 Trek bikes
Honda EU2000i
It must be time to go, the suns out and I've got a full tank of diesel!
We have a granite fireplace hearth! Love to be a little different.

Yosemite_Sam1
Explorer
Explorer
agesilaus wrote:
Yes the coasts are theoretically public but these big new parks grab a lot more land than a narrow coastal strip occupies. Is there a 10,000 acre Big Sur National Monument for example, one that would suck in lots of Monterrey real estate? (If I have my geography right, it's been years since I was there.) I'd say that area certain deserves more than the tiny state park.

Florida coastal lands to the high tide mark are public too, but developers just build above that point and eliminate all parking spaces, effectively blocking access. Try to get to the beach in Sarasota for example. There is actually a narrow public access corridor with the nearest public parking miles away.

On that they can learn from Cali. Main coastal roads are free (or minimal fee metered) parking during the day. And there are gaps between houses than turns into permanent access paths to the beach. Hawaii are like that too except that tourists appear to abuse it with some with screaming notices not to block their driveway.

agesilaus
Explorer II
Explorer II
Yes the coasts are theoretically public but these big new parks grab a lot more land than a narrow coastal strip occupies. Is there a 10,000 acre Big Sur National Monument for example, one that would suck in lots of Monterrey real estate? (If I have my geography right, it's been years since I was there.) I'd say that area certain deserves more than the tiny state park.

Florida coastal lands to the high tide mark are public too, but developers just build above that point and eliminate all parking spaces, effectively blocking access. Try to get to the beach in Sarasota for example. There is actually a narrow public access corridor with the nearest public parking miles away.
Superbumper

Yosemite_Sam1
Explorer
Explorer
agesilaus wrote:
I'm all for preserving appropriate land for public use. Strange that no appropriate land is found in New York, New Jersey or other states in that area. It almost all comes from west of the Mississippi. And still the people from NY, NJ, Md, De, Ct and so on are the ones demanding more land should be taken from Ut, Co, Mt, Id, Az and NM. I will concede that Cali at least does give up lots of land, tho almost all in non-coastal non-liberal parts of the state.

Ah, all of Cali's coast are public. Rich home and land owners cannot block public access to their frontage to the ocean. Not to mention the many coastal state parks, public beaches and reserved marshlands.

Wonder also how the "take from (the states presumably)" actually takes place.

agesilaus
Explorer II
Explorer II
I'm all for preserving appropriate land for public use. Strange that no appropriate land is found in New York, New Jersey or other states in that area. It almost all comes from west of the Mississippi. And still the people from NY, NJ, Md, De, Ct and so on are the ones demanding more land should be taken from Ut, Co, Mt, Id, Az and NM. I will concede that Cali at least does give up lots of land, tho almost all in non-coastal non-liberal parts of the state.
Superbumper

Yosemite_Sam1
Explorer
Explorer
agesilaus wrote:

Sorry but we RVers and campers should be fighting to preserve the natural places and resources for our recreation.

Unfortunately, miners and some politicians siding with them are on the opposite side of the spectrum.

Also, as taxpayers too continuing to pay for the clean up of the mines and dumpsites they've abandoned.

Yosemite_Sam1
Explorer
Explorer
tomman58 wrote:
"Years in the crafting, the measure will designate 367 miles of new scenic rivers and 2,600 miles of new national trails. It protects nearly 500,000 acres in California alone, and enlarges both Death Valley and Joshua Tree national parks. And it reauthorizes a crucial funding mechanism for land and water conservation that had lapsed."
So this was actually created and drawn up by other not tRump. I don't think it offsets all the public and protected lands from his pen as many now can have their resources harvested by big oil and mining. Also allows the coal industry to pollute rivers and streams again.
While a good thing we still need to overcome the stealing of our precious park and lands by private group for profit.

Article

That and among the priorities, take back those millions of public lands being used discounted penny-to-a-dollar to ranchers who don't even bother to pay the small fees. There are more efficient ranching of planting their own feed crops for their cows.

Also little improvements for BLM, USDA and National Forests lands for access to RV campers. Like better road maintenance, water, electricity and, if it's not too much, WiFi please.

agesilaus
Explorer II
Explorer II
Superbumper

tomman58
Explorer
Explorer
"Years in the crafting, the measure will designate 367 miles of new scenic rivers and 2,600 miles of new national trails. It protects nearly 500,000 acres in California alone, and enlarges both Death Valley and Joshua Tree national parks. And it reauthorizes a crucial funding mechanism for land and water conservation that had lapsed."
So this was actually created and drawn up by other not tRump. I don't think it offsets all the public and protected lands from his pen as many now can have their resources harvested by big oil and mining. Also allows the coal industry to pollute rivers and streams again.
While a good thing we still need to overcome the stealing of our precious park and lands by private group for profit.

Article
2015 GMC D/A, CC 4x4/ Z71 ,3.73,IBC SLT+
2018 Jayco 338RETS
2 Trek bikes
Honda EU2000i
It must be time to go, the suns out and I've got a full tank of diesel!
We have a granite fireplace hearth! Love to be a little different.

Yosemite_Sam1
Explorer
Explorer
agesilaus wrote:
...we probably are not going to spend a lot of time in Cali and the NE because of the unfriendly political environment and elevated prices.

I won't encourage you because you'll just add to the congestion, lol.

But Cali has the best sights of all the places I've been camping.

This might cause a debate but Yosemite (hence, my handle) the best of them all -- even if compared side-by-side with Yellowstone.

Just driving through North from Santa Barbara via Pacific Coast (well, we all the way to WA) was a glorious one-in-a-lifteime experience.

agesilaus
Explorer II
Explorer II
Ozlander wrote:
Anybody been to Fort Jefferson at Dry Tortugas National Park?

No, you can get a ferry from South Florida but since we stopped SCUBA it has reduced interest. No water on the island you have to bring your own and if you sail over the anchorage is very deep and you have to carry a lot of extra anchor cable.
Superbumper

Ozlander
Explorer
Explorer
Anybody been to Fort Jefferson at Dry Tortugas National Park?
Ozlander

06 Yukon XL
2001 Trail-Lite 7253