cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

South California Coast above Santa Barbara

powerscol
Explorer
Explorer
Planning a trip to Joshua Tree, then bypass LA somehow and end up on the coast. Looking for a good State Park/National Forrest, etc with full hook up with easy beach access that takes reservations. Wife is slightly disabled and cant hike very far. Towns with good fishing charters nearby would be a plus. So looking for a good spot to sit for a week above Santa Barbara and below Monterey. Trip would start second week of June.

Thanks for any help.
30 REPLIES 30

bikendan
Explorer
Explorer
powerscol wrote:
Thanks folks for the suggestions. After looking and calling almost everyone, no one has availability to fit my 28' 5er and truck. We can stay a day here and there, but nothing for 3 to 5 days straight.

So were headed to the gulf coast for 5 days at Quintana beach below Huston, near Freeport.

Thanks for the help and suggestions. Ill plan an lot earlier for next year.

Yep, welcome to the rat race, that is summer camping on the West Coast.
Families out here, often pool all their computers to get a group of sites, the first 5 minutes they become available.

I've seen every SoCal state beach campsites gone in less than 5 minutes.
Dan- Firefighter, Retired:C, Shawn- Musician/Entrepreneur:W, Zoe- Faithful Golden Retriever(RIP:(), 2014 Ford F150 3.5 EcoboostMax Tow pkg, 2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255 w/4pt Equalizer and 5 Mtn. bikes and 2 Road bikes

powerscol
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks folks for the suggestions. After looking and calling almost everyone, no one has availability to fit my 28' 5er and truck. We can stay a day here and there, but nothing for 3 to 5 days straight.

So were headed to the gulf coast for 5 days at Quintana beach below Huston, near Freeport.

Thanks for the help and suggestions. Ill plan an lot earlier for next year.

CarlGeo
Explorer
Explorer
leesan wrote:
How about Pismo the Oceano campground Electricity and water only, no sewer. One block from the beach

BEWARE, Oceano campground is being totally rebuilt and is closed until???
However, Pismo Coast Village would be a good spot if you can get reservations, full hookup.
Another possibility is Pismo State North Beach, however, no hookups.
There are several other private, smaller RV parks in Pismo Beach that may be available, and that fits your requirements.
Good Luck

murphysranch
Explorer
Explorer
Yes, Betabel is nice. Marina Dunes RV park is just OK, but right over the sand dune from the ocean. Grands loved it along with the Monterey Bay Aquarium.
Empty nesters
2 cats
2 cattle dogs too!

aerbus32
Explorer II
Explorer II
Couple of things . . .
Generally going inland will you'll find sites available. Case in point, we use Betabel RV park near Gilroy to access the Monterey area. El Chorro, located between SLO & Morro, is pretty nice with both dry camping & FHU's. I doubt if availability would be an issue if you arrive midweek.

Naio
Explorer
Explorer
nevadanick wrote:
So if you are travelling the Ca coast and dont have this previous knowledge of having to have reservations where do you go ? Eventually you have to stop and sleep.

You keep driving, or you go inland, or you get a motel for $$.

My dad and I were tent camping in the 80s, and we drove and drove, looking for a place. Now I make reservations.
3/4 timing in a DIY van conversion. Backroads, mountains, boondocking, sometimes big cities for a change of pace.

nevadanick
Explorer
Explorer
So if you are travelling the Ca coast and dont have this previous knowledge of having to have reservations where do you go ? Eventually you have to stop and sleep.

Tiger4x4RV
Nomad
Nomad
This competition for California campsites is not new. I remember long lines at coastal state parks, campers waiting to go in when someone checked out. There were no reservations then, back in the late 1950's.

Perhaps the only difference was that back then folks had smaller rigs/tents/whatever, so once you got a site and settled into it the place did not seem as crowded as it might now with huge slide-out RV's or 2-bedroom tents and tons of gear around. Also back then no generators or dogs as far as I remember. No televisions. Mostly just mom, dad, and the kids having fun.
2006 Tiger CX 4x4, 8.1 L gas V-8, Allison 6-speed

bikendan
Explorer
Explorer
Jbrowland wrote:
I hate to be a spoil sport but having looked at many of the previously mentioned camping spots above Santa Barbara online recently myself, you will likely also find that they have already been booked for months. Some may have open spots for a single week day if you get lucky. Plaskett, for example, had sporadic, one day availability through August. Moro Bay will be your best bet for late reservations of all the ones mentioned so far IMHO. It also gives you the charter boats and the hookups.

We went to big Sur last year from LA and stopped at six camping spots between here and Monterey on the PCH. Every single one was packed to the gills. We made our reservations several months in advance and so do most people for beach side locations on the Cally cost in the summer from about the end of May to the end of August. It's crazy how quickly they book up.

THIS!^^^^^^^

people from out of state have no idea how competitive coastal campsites are in California, even off-season.
Dan- Firefighter, Retired:C, Shawn- Musician/Entrepreneur:W, Zoe- Faithful Golden Retriever(RIP:(), 2014 Ford F150 3.5 EcoboostMax Tow pkg, 2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255 w/4pt Equalizer and 5 Mtn. bikes and 2 Road bikes

Jbrowland
Explorer
Explorer
I hate to be a spoil sport but having looked at many of the previously mentioned camping spots above Santa Barbara online recently myself, you will likely also find that they have already been booked for months. Some may have open spots for a single week day if you get lucky. Plaskett, for example, had sporadic, one day availability through August. Moro Bay will be your best bet for late reservations of all the ones mentioned so far IMHO. It also gives you the charter boats and the hookups.

We went to big Sur last year from LA and stopped at six camping spots between here and Monterey on the PCH. Every single one was packed to the gills. We made our reservations several months in advance and so do most people for beach side locations on the Cally cost in the summer from about the end of May to the end of August. It's crazy how quickly they book up.

WishWeWereCampi
Explorer
Explorer
I don't know about fishing charters in the area but we've stayed at Morro Dunes RV Park several times.
clickyhttp://morrodunes.com/morro_dunes/sites.html

bikendan
Explorer
Explorer
OutdoorPhotographer wrote:
Make sure to check your rig size and Pacific Coast Hwy if that is the route you are taking. Breathtaking views but I wouldn't do it in larger rigs.

Depends on whether it's 101 or Highway 1.
Parts of PCH can have both.
101 is fine for large rigs.
Parts of Highway 1 are not.

OutdoorPhotogra
Explorer
Explorer
Another vote for Morro Bay. Roughly half way between Santa Barbara and Monterey. You will find fishing charters. Paso Robles, Cambria, San Luis Obispo all near by.

Make sure to check your rig size and Pacific Coast Hwy if that is the route you are taking. Breathtaking views but I wouldn't do it in larger rigs.
2008 Rockwood Signature Ultralite 5th Wheel
F-250 6.2 Gasser

Former PUP camper (Rockwood Popup Freedom 1980)

bikendan
Explorer
Explorer
Strabo wrote:
Naio wrote:
Jalama beach!

Beach X?

don't know what your post means?:h

Jalama Beach is a great place. close to Hollister Ranch surf spots.
but it's a drive to get there and very popular with the locals.
so getting a site takes some planning.