Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Spring Trip: South East

Hector_Bravo
Explorer
Explorer
Afternoon All,

It is a rainy cold day in NJ so what is there to do but plan the following trip for 2016:

NJ

Raleigh, NC

Charleston, SC

Savannah, GA

Atlanta, GA

Nashville, TN

Pigeon Forge (Dollywood), TN

NJ

We usually stay in full hook-up campgrounds when spending several days visiting a specific area. I am looking for any suggestions for campgrounds, must sees, routes, etc.

Also, we are thinking about late April into May for the trip. Thoughts about the weather in this area at this time of year?

Thanks in advance.
The Bravos
2013 Jay Flight 26 RLS
2014 Ford F 250 Super Duty 6.2
34 REPLIES 34

michigansandzil
Explorer
Explorer
We stayed at the Smokies in April a couple of years ago. It was about 60* for our stay. Some days cooler and some were warmer. The traffic and crowds were not an issue at all, we must have gotten there before the summer rush. Our highlights were kid related, but we all enjoyed walking to the top of Clingmans Dome. It's a paved trail, but steep to the top. Spectacular view when you get there.
Pigeon Forge was extremely touristy, busy multi-lane roads, tons of go cart places, etc.

Enjoy your trip.
2017 Coachmen Catalina 323 BHDSCK
2018 Ford F150 FX4
3 growing kids and 1 big dog

Hector_Bravo
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the tips. I always keep an eye to the sky, both literally and digital when traveling. One if the many things we love about RVing s the ability to divert and still have a great time.

We don't have a lot of surprise dangerous weather in NJ so I do have a radio with weather alert on order for our travels.

We were traveling in the Midwest years ago and saw a sign pointing the way to the storm cellar in the main office. I explained to the guy behind the counter of my lack of experience in judging bad weather so I asked how I would know it was time to take shelter. He said, "It is a lot like going to the bathroom: if you feel the urge you should go." Clever but I've decided I need better information.
The Bravos
2013 Jay Flight 26 RLS

tatest
Explorer II
Explorer II
Just what time of year? Spring is March-April-May towards the south, April-May-June in the North.

I've been in the southern Appalachians during the traditional "Spring Break" mid-March, one trip was nice with a tendency toward chilly, the next year was cold and wet, miserable for the whole week. A year later, from same area and south to Great Smoky Mountains in early may, it started out chilly and drizzly, turned sunny and warm durn day, clear and chilly at night.

Several trips to Nashville March through June (while my daughter was living there 2007-2013) I saw the same variability, but late April was when it was starting to be consistently warm. In 2010, we were there for the 1000 year flood at the beginning of May, not only got caught out in the rain, but got trapped there for five days because we to refuge in a place where there was no way out.

I say plan to take this trip, but watch weather forecasts and be flexible, ready to cancel or change some part of it for weather.

Most of these trips were pre-RV, tent camping, so no recommendations for RV parks. A couple Nasville trips were RV, we used the KOA on Music Valley Drive, liked it. There are other parks along the drive as well. KOA got flooded in 2010, but that's not where we were that trip.
Tom Test
Itasca Spirit 29B

terrytrailertra
Explorer
Explorer
Another vote for James Island Co. Park in Charleston, Skidaway in Savannah. Yes Atlanta is crazy...but lots to do. We've stayed at Stone Mountain and like it. The Aquarium is fabulous. There is a new state park outside Atlanta that looks promising. It might be worth a look. One of the best state parks we've ever been in is Fall Creek Falls SP in TN. It is between Chattanooga and Nashville. Please check it out!
17 Keystone Sprinter
'17 Dodge Ram
DH, DD-15, DS-12, and Me (Mom)

lawnspecialties
Explorer
Explorer
Maybe its because I was born, raised, and still live here but I can't think of much to see in Raleigh. Yes, we have conventions and such but unless there is a specific thing you want to see, there isn't much else. A few museums but everybody has those.

As for campgrounds with full hook-ups, I think most everyone does the fairgrounds. Once again, no big deal but its about the only place with full hook-ups and its quite close to downtown.

Hector_Bravo
Explorer
Explorer
Wow, that does look nice. Thanks for the tip B&A!
The Bravos
2013 Jay Flight 26 RLS

Bob___Ann
Explorer
Explorer
Hector Bravo
If you are going to spend some time in Pigeon Forge check out Anchor Down in Dandrige TN. It is not far from Pigeon Forge and is a beautiful resort where everybody in it has a great view of the lake. Check it out.
Bob and Ann
Schnauzer - Della (Rainbow B 3/31/17)
Chihuahua - Lola (Rainbow B 12/26/18)
Autumn-Red Poodle
2019 Tiffin 40 IP Bus
Powerglide Chassis
Cummins 450
Onan 10,000 Watt
Four Slide/ 1.5 Bath
2021 Jeep Unlimited Sahara Toad
Demco Dominator & Airforce One

Hector_Bravo
Explorer
Explorer
Hey GreenSalsa,

Raleigh is definitely on the list for my wife but nothing says I can't add Fayetteville so thanks for the tip.

Thanks for the info TenOC: I'll check out your link and the availability of campgrounds at the time of the run. I think I want to avoid that.
The Bravos
2013 Jay Flight 26 RLS

TenOC
Nomad
Nomad
Charleston SC around the 1st or 2nd week in April to visit the Gardens. There are 3 or 4 worth visiting. One is in Monce Corner (30 mile away) where the movie Patriotic was filmed. The "Bridge Run" with 10,000 runners on April 1 (?) weekend. No room at the inn or campgrounds (?).

What is in bloom when?
Please give me enough troubles, uncertainty, problems, obstacles and STRESS so that I do not become arrogant, proud, and smug in my own abilities, and enough blessings and good times that I realize that someone else is in charge of my life.

Travel Photos

GreenSalsa
Explorer
Explorer
Hector Bravo, In my opinion one never appreciates your own hometown, but instead of Raleigh, how about a stop over in Fayetteville NC (right off of I95) on your way to Charleston?

If your an Army vet there is the Airborne and Special Operations Museum, and other attractions to see if you want to pass on through.

Just some thoughts.
GreenSalsa lives in North Carolina, but dreams of life on the road...

bakerkids
Explorer
Explorer
I enjoy James Island County Park when staying near Charleston SC. I don't know if you travel with pets, but they have an awesome dog park. Great bike trails, too.

My favorite in Nashville is Seven Points, a COE campground on Percy Priest Lake, east side of the city. No FHU, but if you didn't camp there it's still a nice visit. Very close to I-40. Matter of fact I'll be there ten days from now on my way SE.

About a half hour NW of Atlanta is Lake Allatoona, a COE area that's very nice. I think they have 8 campgrounds near the lake. I love McKinney. It's close to I-75 and has 150 sites. I don't believe they have FHU, either, though.
Me '62, DH '59, DS '89, DD '90, DD '92
1 shih tzu
Our photos

BamaVan
Explorer
Explorer
Alabama Jim wrote:
Piegon Forge has great weather. We like Clear Creek Campground in Pigeon Forge. Full Hook Up and pull through sites.

Jim, did you mean Creek Side, cannot locate a Clear Creek in Pigeon Forge?

Hector_Bravo
Explorer
Explorer
We don't have a specific timeframe for this but I'm thinking three weeks or so.

So Raleigh and Atlanta don't seem to be favorites. Savannah, Nashville and Dollywood were the anchor stops for this trip anyway. The others were just ideas. I like the idea of Ashville. It is a place that I've been curious about.

Research to be done. Thanks all.
The Bravos
2013 Jay Flight 26 RLS

Hector_Bravo
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks John. I will check out you route suggestion. I also plan on setting weather alerts on my phone and radio on.
The Bravos
2013 Jay Flight 26 RLS