cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Starting to plan an Alaska trip what are the boon docking

Hobo2
Explorer
Explorer
Bubba (wife) an I are just got our copy of The MILEPOST book. Does anyone know about boon docking laws. Bubba and I are conceal carry permit holders. But says they can confiscate your RV if caught carrying. We are full-time RVING any suggestions. Could ship to one of our kids by gun brokers, that's kind of a pain in the a$$. Wouldn't mind have my judge pistol with buckshot load hiking. Another question can you carry in national parks in Alaska?. Could look for gun broker in Alaska still another pain in the a$$. Should I roll the dice??????
36 REPLIES 36

harley4275
Explorer
Explorer
pyoung47 wrote:
Great boondocking sites are easy to find both in Canada and Alaska. Look for turnout listings in the Milepost. Often, they will also indicate if there is a view. We are currently on the Cassiar, and although we haven't boondocked on this highway, there are several spots where folks were doing so. We are currently stuck in Stewart, hoping that the salmon return.

Along the cassier , there is a spot on the west side along a river just north of Dease Leke.Big open area that you can see from the road ,but far enough away for quiet.
2013 Sunset Trail 25RB TT
2015 Silverado 2500HD 4x4 6.0 l gasser.
Equilizer 4 pt
From Belle River, Ontario
2003 Mountain Star 890sbrx Truck Camper

pyoung47
Explorer
Explorer
Great boondocking sites are easy to find both in Canada and Alaska. Look for turnout listings in the Milepost. Often, they will also indicate if there is a view. We are currently on the Cassiar, and although we haven't boondocked on this highway, there are several spots where folks were doing so. We are currently stuck in Stewart, hoping that the salmon return.

AK_Old_Timer
Explorer
Explorer
garyhaupt wrote:
Or, if you wish, you could take the Marine Highway Ferry from Bellingham to Alaska. Avoids Canada altogether and allows you to carry your guns.

As to boondocking...if you choose to drive up and back...in BC and Yukon there is an abundance of boondocking spots and although some Rest Areas are actually signed 'No Camping'...there is no issue with overnighting. Or you can just turn up a likely looking road and find a wide spot. Google Maps and Earth is ideal for the planning of this.

Gary Haupt

Gary is correct. The AMH Ferries traveling between Bellingham and Ketchican do not stop at Prince Rupert. Something to do with the Maritime laws.

On a side note, the Ferry from Ketchican to Prince Rupert does not leave Prince Rupert for the northbound trip until all passengers and vehicles have either cleared Canadian customs or have been denied entry into Canada. If you are denied entry into Canada, the ferry will transport you and/or your vehicle back to Ketchican. I don't know if there is a fee for this return trip. The ferry will not leave you stranded in no-man's land at the AMS parking lot in Prince Rupert.

RGar974417
Explorer
Explorer
I won't go to Canada because they are so paranoid about guns. But there are gun shops near the border that will store your fire arm for a fee and you can retrieve it when you return.As to carrying in US National Parks,yes you can,BUT you cannot take your weapon into any building,even a bathroom.We were in Yellowstone last year and I left my gun in the truck when I went into a building.

OLYLEN
Explorer
Explorer
As far as Boodocking as soon as you reach the Alcan there are so many places you may do like we did drive much less and camp near some beautiful lakes and mountains. There are also many smaller CHEAP camp grounds. The only time we stayed in campgrounds all over Alaska was when visiting in towns or in Denaili NP.

LEN

nickdarr
Explorer
Explorer
Heed others advice and do not take handguns through Canada without proper paperwork. Maybe ship to yourself in Alaska?
Darren, Peggy, two kids, and the Poodle pair
2006 Ford F-350 Crew Cab PSD
2016 Outdoors Creekside 27DBHS

Old_Islander
Explorer
Explorer
deleted

harley4275
Explorer
Explorer
If you guys want to get back on topic of boondocking...try Hatchers Pass . I got on below Denali and above Palmer. It goes east to a beautiful area there are.creek side areas and side Rd stops . We stayed on a spot just off a gold mine Rd. Fish hook Rd rings a bell too .
2013 Sunset Trail 25RB TT
2015 Silverado 2500HD 4x4 6.0 l gasser.
Equilizer 4 pt
From Belle River, Ontario
2003 Mountain Star 890sbrx Truck Camper

OLYLEN
Explorer
Explorer
To the OP, might do what I have done "leave hand guns in the US" purchase a shotgun a pump makes a distinctive sound , mine holds seven rounds and a box of heavy buckshot and a few slugs. Then pay the fee for one long gun through Canada. Have the paperwork filled out and ready, don't forget the US return paper work also. And like above read the law in Canada, don't ever take the word of anyone when it comes to jail time and laws in another country.

LEN

LenSatic
Explorer
Explorer
I worked for a major airline for several years. I don't know how it works with a ferry service, but our passengers were not on foreign soil until they passed through immigration and customs control. That's what the 2004 movie Terminal was about.

LS
2008 Casita SD 17
2006 Chevy Tahoe LT 4x4
2009 Akita Inu
1956 Wife
1950 LenSatic

DownTheAvenue
Explorer
Explorer
Tom/Barb wrote:
DownTheAvenue wrote:
Tom/Barb wrote:
DownTheAvenue wrote:
Don't even think about trying to take your handguns into Canada. The consequences are very severe, and would probably include jail time. Respect their laws and cultures and you will have a great time.

As a side note, I have found the Canadian people to be more friendly and helpful than many Americans, and traveling in the western and northern provinces, you will have no need for self protection.

You should actually read the Canadian law prior to posting.

I am intimately familiar with Canadian laws, having lived there. Yes, the statutes would seem to indicate that an American can bring a handgun into Canada while enroute to Alaska by just merely filing a piece of paper. The reality is the casual traveler almost never gets the approval. As I posted, the consequences are severe if one tries to bring them in without the paperwork previously filed and approved, whether they announce them at the border or not. For you to imply otherwise is irresponsible and dangerous.

Yep it's really irresponsible of me to tell him to read the law, and comply.

You did not tell him to read the law...you told me! And that does not change what I said. Attempting to bring a handgun into Canada without prior approval could lead to severe penalties including jail time. And implying that all one has to do is file a form isnt going to grant him permission.

I await your reply as you seem to have to have the last word on everything!

Tom_Barb
Explorer
Explorer
The ships that are used on the Alaskan marine highway are documented US vessels, they are under international law a US territory and the Canadian Law does not apply until a violation occurs off the vessel.
You walk off the vessel, is the same as you walking across the border.
2000 Newmar mountain aire 4081 DP, ISC/350 Allison 6 speed, Wrangler JL toad.

garyhaupt
Explorer
Explorer
pigman1 wrote:
garyhaupt wrote:
pigman1 wrote:
garyhaupt wrote:
Or, if you wish, you could take the Marine Highway Ferry from Bellingham to Alaska. Avoids Canada altogether and allows you to carry your guns.

From the horses mouth..Kyle at Alaska Marine Highway offices...their ships DO NOT sail to Prince Rupert..it is a thru sailing to US/Alaska waters.

Gary Haupt
Perhaps they've changed the schedule since we rode the ferries. Regardless, they're in Canadian waters a long distance from Bellingham to the southern area of Alaska. A problem and they'll put in where they have to.

And a meterorite might hit the ship, and then there is the plague, and a let's not forget a tsunami...so so many things to fear. My God..how do you even get out of bed?

Gary Haupt
I have a Blog..about stuff, some of which is RV'ing.

http://mrgwh.blogspot.ca/

pigman1
Explorer
Explorer
garyhaupt wrote:
pigman1 wrote:
garyhaupt wrote:

From the horses mouth..Kyle at Alaska Marine Highway offices...their ships DO NOT sail to Prince Rupert..it is a thru sailing to US/Alaska waters.

Gary Haupt
Perhaps they've changed the schedule since we rode the ferries. Regardless, they're in Canadian waters a long distance from Bellingham to the southern area of Alaska. A problem and they'll put in where they have to.
Pigman & Piglady
2013 Tiffin Allegro Bus 43' QGP
2011 Chevy Silverado 1500
SMI Air Force One toad brake
Street Atlas USA Plus