cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Summer tip up thru MI, WI and Mn

agesilaus
Explorer III
Explorer III
I am thinking about a summer trip up to Wisconsin, Minnesota and maybe the Upper Peninsula. The UP part is in doubt because of the black and sand fly infestation. My wife has a clear memory of the other time we were up there and it isn't a pleasant memory.

We are not urban types and prefer parks and national forests. We'd like to boondock at least 50% of the time. So I'm looking for suggestions of places to camp and visit. We do moderate amounts of hiking and walking but no 10 mile trips.

We will probably proceed west on Hwy 2 when we are done. Time frame is early June for several weeks anyway, we have all summer so no time pressure.

I did post this on the boondocking forum 2 days ago, but got no responsive replies.
Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2018 RAM 2500 6.7L 4WD shortbed
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper
27 REPLIES 27

Bob806
Explorer III
Explorer III
We love the UP too, but if you're looking to stop in Northern Michigan elsewhere, check out Hoeft SP or Wilderness SP. Wilderness is larger, so the crowds will obviously be larger, but it's great.

We discovered Hoeft this summer and really enjoyed it. Lake Huron side, a little quieter.

Trekkar
Explorer
Explorer
The UP in the fall is spectacular. In most areas, bug season subsides by early July. Great stuff to do all year long.
2014 Dodge Ram 1500
2021 Salem SFX 167RBK

michigansandzil
Explorer
Explorer
I earned the nickname "mosquito ninja" from our UP trip a few years ago in the first week of July.
Sure, it's beautiful, but the mosquitos and 28 degree weather at night on July 6th, made it not a fantastic trip.

My sons are going with their scout troop in the end of June...... I'm buying them hats with bug nets for their trip.
2017 Coachmen Catalina 323 BHDSCK
2018 Ford F150 FX4
3 growing kids and 1 big dog

timandsusan
Explorer
Explorer
In 2015 we traveled to MN, UP, and Mich. in late July to the end of September. No bug problems and great scenery and places to visit. We stayed in Munising and traveled around that part of the UP, stayed in Traverse City, MI, for 3 weeks and visiting the National Parks along Lake Michigan as well as other spots in the area. Also great bicycle trails in MN and MI. Enjoyed salmon fishing near Traverse City. Enjoy the area and expect some rain. Try to go to Interlochen Arts center for a performance while in Traverse City.

travelnutz
Explorer II
Explorer II
The U.P. is simply gorgeous and so much to do and see. We have been going up there for over 50 years now and have been there in every month of the year on trips or for snowmobiling etc. Yes, the black flies can be bad in May and the 1st half of June but it's usually only bothersome about a 2-3 week long period and varies a little from year to year depending on when well above freezing at night starts. Needs to be above freezing for them to hatch.

Usually quite cool in early to mid June yet but when it finally warms up it's quite dependably warm from then on until about into mid October. We've gone up every year for the last 56 years for 1-2 weeks for the spectacular colored leaves time which usually peaks in mid October. It's about a 350 to 500 mile trip up there from our home on the Lake Michigan Shoreline in west Lower Michigan. We have NO black fly season down here and flies are rare and usually have very few skeeters also. Actually just got back from the U.P. almost 2 weeks ago and the colors were so fantastic+. So bright were the red and dark red, oranges, yellows, and in many areas mixed in with the many different hues of greens and pines. So bright were the colors that it Was almost iridescent to the eye! Just wish the camera could show the iridescent like it really is.
A superb CC LB 4X4, GM HD Diesel, airbags, Rancho's, lots more
Lance Legend TC 11' 4", loaded including 3400 PP generator and my deluxe 2' X 7' rear porch
29 ft Carriage Carri-lite 5'er - a specially built gem
A like new '07 Sunline Solaris 26' TT

dodge_guy
Explorer II
Explorer II
Hammerboy wrote:
dodge guy wrote:
We were in the UP in mid July. No issues. Maybe it was because we were up in Munising and the warmest it got was 60 deg the day we left and it rained on and off for a week..........thanks now I need to go back, late July early August!

It was in the mid forties in the afternoon in Munising on a rainy afternoon when we were there last year in mid June. Never knew it could get that cold up there middle of the day that time of year, of course I live 6 hrs away. I could never live up there due to isolation and the cold but the U.P. is awesome in the summertime camping.

Dan

And I checked the weather the next week and......mid 80`s. heard that from a lot of people, late July and August is the time to go. I also want to go in the winter with my snowmobiles!
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

Hammerboy
Explorer
Explorer
dodge guy wrote:
We were in the UP in mid July. No issues. Maybe it was because we were up in Munising and the warmest it got was 60 deg the day we left and it rained on and off for a week..........thanks now I need to go back, late July early August!

It was in the mid forties in the afternoon in Munising on a rainy afternoon when we were there last year in mid June. Never knew it could get that cold up there middle of the day that time of year, of course I live 6 hrs away. I could never live up there due to isolation and the cold but the U.P. is awesome in the summertime camping.

Dan
2019 Chevy crew LTZ 2500 HD Duramax
2017 Wildcat 29rlx fifth wheel

JesLookin
Explorer
Explorer
dewey02 wrote:
Addy15 wrote:
rockhillmanor wrote:
I did the UP once and never again. I won't even drive near there!

Those of us who are planning trips there are curious as to why you feel this way...

I lived in the UP, Northern WI, and Northern MN for about 30 years. Yes, the black flies can be bad in spring/early summer as has been mentioned. But avoiding the UP altogether makes you miss out on some truly beautiful and enjoyable areas (Pictured Rocks National Lakeshore, Porcupine Mtns State Park, Bond Falls, Agate Falls, Sylvania Wilderness Area, Kitchi-ti-Kippi (Big Spring), Saulte Lock and Dams, Mackinack Island, etc.).

A few years ago, we went in mid-to-late June. I was leary because I thought the flies and mosquitos would still be bad. We experienced almost none, except for one rainy day near Lake Gogebic.

We live about an hour from Door County. I'd pick the UP over Door County any day. Door County is too touristy for me.
2013 Arctic Fox 27-5L
2014 Ram 3500 6.7L CTD, Crew Cab

dodge_guy
Explorer II
Explorer II
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

dewey02
Explorer II
Explorer II
Addy15 wrote:
rockhillmanor wrote:

Those of us who are planning trips there are curious as to why you feel this way...

I lived in the UP, Northern WI, and Northern MN for about 30 years. Yes, the black flies can be bad in spring/early summer as has been mentioned. But avoiding the UP altogether makes you miss out on some truly beautiful and enjoyable areas (Pictured Rocks National Lakeshore, Porcupine Mtns State Park, Bond Falls, Agate Falls, Sylvania Wilderness Area, Kitchi-ti-Kippi (Big Spring), Saulte Lock and Dams, Mackinack Island, etc.).

A few years ago, we went in mid-to-late June. I was leary because I thought the flies and mosquitos would still be bad. We experienced almost none, except for one rainy day near Lake Gogebic.

Addy15
Explorer
Explorer
rockhillmanor wrote:

drsteve
Explorer
Explorer
rockhillmanor wrote:

What happened to you in the UP?
2006 Silverado 1500HD Crew Cab 2WD 6.0L 3.73 8600 GVWR
2018 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 223RBS
1991 Palomino Filly PUP

BarabooBob
Explorer III
Explorer III
As Campfire Tim said, Devils Lake is great for hiking. I am sitting in my recliner and can see the bluffs around Devils Lake from my front window. I volunteer at the park doing trail maintenance and with kayak tours.
Bob & Dawn Married 34 years
2017 Viking 17RD
2011 Ford F150 3.5L Ecoboost 420 lb/ft
Retired

Campfire_Time
Explorer
Explorer
As Bob, I've lived in WI my entire life. Lots of great things to see and do. We've been going to Door County for most of our trips the past 10 years. Good hiking in Peninsula State Park, Newport State Park, and Rock Island State Park. Newport is backpack camping only, Rock Island does not have roads and doesn't even allow bicycles. Peninsula has many tent sites that can accommodate decent size trailers. Great biking everywhere and lots of good restaurants.

Best hiking in WI is Devils Lake State Park. Another fantastic area to visit is the St. Croix Falls area.

You can spends days visiting the water falls in Marinette County and there are lots of places to boon dock.

My daughter lives in the UP and there are lots of things up there to see. Lots of good hiking and water falls, especially in the Pictured Rocks National Lakeshore area. And don't miss Tahquamenon Falls.

We no longer camp in July or August because of the heat and bugs. June and September is some of the best weather here for camping
Chuck D.
โ€œAdventure is just bad planning.โ€ - Roald Amundsen
2013 Jayco X20E Hybrid
2016 Chevy Silverado Crew Cab Z71 LTZ2
2008 GMC Sierra SLE1 Crew Cab Z71 (traded)