Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Three deaths on Wave trail

agesilaus
Explorer III
Explorer III
This should open the eyes of anyone thinking they want to visit the Wave:

Wave

I've read the story of one well known photographer who spent the night out on the redrock after staying too late and loosing the light. The trail is marked by small cairns (piles of rocks) on the redrock surface of the trail and can be difficult to find even in daylight. Photographers of course want the sunset light for spectacular photos and need to be very careful.

This would be a good place to make sure you have a GPS with you and have the starting and ending waypoints entered before you leave. I would not trust a cell phone to do this either.

BK
Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2018 RAM 2500 6.7L 4WD shortbed
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper
21 REPLIES 21

agesilaus
Explorer III
Explorer III
Years ago I was in Death Valley when three young men decided to hike from the east road to the west road in the valley. You can see the other road from the east road. One managed to make it the west road and was rescued, IIRC one of the other two ended up in intensive care and the other one didn't make it. The distance was a mile or so, but it was in summer and they were on the salt bed which is very difficult to walk across.

BK
Superbumper

Crowe
Explorer
Explorer
We witnessed a similar incident in Hawaii Volcanoes National Park some years ago. We were walking on the lava beds in 90+ degree heat. Not a cloud in the sky so the lava was just soaking up the heat and throwing it right back out again. Actual lava flow was a couple of miles away. No trail per se, but markings so you could find your way. Recommendations were the usual amount of water, light snacks, and sturdy hiking shoes. We didn't even attempt it as I do not deal with heat well and we had on sneakers. A young couple with one small bottle of water each and wearing flip flops started out while we were there. Commented to the ranger "how long before they need to be rescued"? Ranger said "I give them maybe 3 hours". It was two before they had to be taken out because their flip flops melted and they were suffering from dehydration. I do feel sorry for those who have lost their lives pursuing what should be a rewarding, fun activity but they bear the brunt of the responsibility for their actions.

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be

Douglas Adams

[purple]RV-less for now but our spirits are still on the open road. [/purple]

deleted-2
Explorer
Explorer
Walked to that when I was in my late teens (41 years ago).
Can't even remember how long the round trip was, over 10 miles I think.

Sad about the deaths.
Summer ain't the time to go anywhere in that area on foot.
Heat off the rocks is relentless.

Campfire_Time
Explorer
Explorer
Its very sad to read these preventable tragedies. Whether you hike in the hot desert or the rain forest in Olympic National Park, you have to be prepared for conditions. Day hiking can take a lot out of you when the conditions are good. Can't imagine hiking for hours in that heat. I would not hike more than 30 minutes into the desert on a day like that. AFAIK that is a several mile hike one way.
Chuck D.
โ€œAdventure is just bad planning.โ€ - Roald Amundsen
2013 Jayco X20E Hybrid
2016 Chevy Silverado Crew Cab Z71 LTZ2
2008 GMC Sierra SLE1 Crew Cab Z71 (traded)

BroncosFan
Explorer
Explorer
"We have a few close calls," he said. "In particular, from people who are more interested in carrying their camera equipment than the appropriate supplies."

agesilaus
Explorer III
Explorer III
photonanax3 wrote:
As an amateur photographer, the Wave has been on my bucket list for years, but I don't think I'd ever go in the heat of the summer. I have however been on several hikes in the same general area - it is one of most inhospitable locations, and you have to be aware of the weather and other impending conditions. And of course, never go in unprepared.

Quite right, take enough water(several liters) and at least an emergency space blanket and some food in case you get stuck out one night. A small flash light would be good too.

BK
Superbumper

photonanax3
Explorer
Explorer
As an amateur photographer, the Wave has been on my bucket list for years, but I don't think I'd ever go in the heat of the summer. I have however been on several hikes in the same general area - it is one of most inhospitable locations, and you have to be aware of the weather and other impending conditions. And of course, never go in unprepared.
Live for today for yesterday is gone and tomorrow is not guaranteed.