cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Look to go to Glacier National Park 2014

danewguy
Explorer
Explorer
Hello all we are planning a trip possibly to Glacier in the summer of 2014. We have been to Yellowstone, Grand Tetons, Zion, and Bryce. So far the family's favorite is Yellowstone. Driving thru the park and stopping at certain sights works very well for us, we are not big fans of hiking because our daughter is still young. How does Glacier compare to Yellowstone? Will there be a lot for us to do if we are not hikers?
2007 Georgie Boy Landau 33ft and 2019 Cougar 26RBS 30ft
8 REPLIES 8

Dolph
Explorer
Explorer
We went to Glacier last early summer. Took the red car tour. It was well worth the money. Guide had worked there for about ten years. Saw and heard stuff you would never know if you drive by yourself.

Dick_B
Explorer
Explorer
Not really. The beauty of Glacier is to get out of the car. There are bus tours and a boat ride but it is not Yellowstone. If the child is too young wait a few years to really enjoy Glacier and then the Tetons just down the road.
Dick_B
2003 SunnyBrook 27FKS
2011 3/4 T Chevrolet Suburban
Equal-i-zer Hitch
One wife, two electric bikes (both Currie Tech Path+ models)

danewguy
Explorer
Explorer
cindik wrote:
I am going to Glacier at the end of this month, will let you know. My Son is working there, and this is not a RV trip for me. Just going to visit Son. So far, we have 2 trips planned on the red bus. Doing the Going to the Sun road from west Glacier to St. Mary, and doing the red bus to Waterton, and the Prince of Wales hotel. We have also planned the ziplining in Whitefish, and rafting in west glacier. I am not a big hiker either, but my Son has planned a couple of short hikes for me. He is a big hiker, does 20-30 miles every weekend. I am looking forward to going, the pictures he has sent me are awesome!

Please do let us know how your trip goes.

danewguy
Explorer
Explorer
oldbeek wrote:
It is a beautiful place. Be warned that if you arrive during heavy cloud cover, you will miss the most spectacular views. Allow a few days to preclude this problem, There is a tour buss to Highway to the sun. RV,s not allowed.

We plan on being there 5 to 7 days and do all of our exploring via our Jeep. Rv gets parked in a campground and that is where it stays.

danewguy
Explorer
Explorer
rv2go wrote:
IMO, The beauty of our National Parks is their diversity. Hard to compare one to another. We just spent 2 weeks in Yellowstone and had a great time. Then we moved to Glacier and spent a week at the St. Mary CG inside the park. We drove the Going to the Sun road, visited each of the Parks entrances on the East side. Drove over to Waterton, Canada and took the boat ride. No hiking for us. Lot of bears, goats, sheep to see. So yes...you gotta go once.
You can see some of our Pictures in my signature link.

Thanks for your info, great pics !

cindik
Explorer
Explorer
I am going to Glacier at the end of this month, will let you know. My Son is working there, and this is not a RV trip for me. Just going to visit Son. So far, we have 2 trips planned on the red bus. Doing the Going to the Sun road from west Glacier to St. Mary, and doing the red bus to Waterton, and the Prince of Wales hotel. We have also planned the ziplining in Whitefish, and rafting in west glacier. I am not a big hiker either, but my Son has planned a couple of short hikes for me. He is a big hiker, does 20-30 miles every weekend. I am looking forward to going, the pictures he has sent me are awesome!
IF YOU CAN'T STAND BEHIND OUR SOLDIERS, FEEL FREE TO STAND IN FRONT OF THEM
THE ONLY THING HARDER THAN BEING A SOLDIER, IS LOVING ONE

Our Photos

oldbeek
Explorer
Explorer
It is a beautiful place. Be warned that if you arrive during heavy cloud cover, you will miss the most spectacular views. Allow a few days to preclude this problem, There is a tour buss to Highway to the sun. RV,s not allowed.
1994 27sl Alpenlite with many mods, 2001 Dodge Cummins 2x4 3.54 Auto trans built shift kit and 2nd gear lock up mod. Mojave Green billet, triple disc low stall torque converter. Gauges and raptor 3/8inch fuel system. 12.5 mpg avg

rv2go
Explorer
Explorer
IMO, The beauty of our National Parks is their diversity. Hard to compare one to another. We just spent 2 weeks in Yellowstone and had a great time. Then we moved to Glacier and spent a week at the St. Mary CG inside the park. We drove the Going to the Sun road, visited each of the Parks entrances on the East side. Drove over to Waterton, Canada and took the boat ride. No hiking for us. Lot of bears, goats, sheep to see. So yes...you gotta go once.
You can see some of our Pictures in my signature link.
Winnebago Journey
TN Lic. RV 2 GO
Jeep Cherokee 4x4
I'm here #4335
Blog