cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Tom Sawyer RV Park on the Mississippi

mci7
Explorer
Explorer
Spent a day watching, enjoying the river traffic just slightly south of W Memphis, Ar.
Was very enjoyable and a good camp site, good electric etc,
Dave M
Dave M
Central Virginia
Had MCI Conversion 20+ yrs
Presently 2001 Foretravel w/ISM500
Usual Toad 2004 F150 Ford w/Can Am 800 Max
18 REPLIES 18

view2a_thrill
Explorer
Explorer
JTHarley wrote:
Great place just keep your eye on the skyโ€ฆ..heavy rains means get out!

Maybe not. From Tom Sawyer's website: "Tom Sawyerโ€™s is located so close to the Mississippi River, sometimes weโ€™re in it! The Mississippi River can cause us to close periodically anytime from December into early June but most often April or May. The Corps of Engineers and National Weather Service provide river stage forecasts which give us 10 to 14 days advance notice as to when the Mississippi River will force us to temporarily shut down. The flood event is relatively slow and gentle, we do not โ€œflash floodโ€. We flood primarily from heavy sequential rains in the Ohio River basin (sometimes combined with snow melt) usually a week or two after the events. Sometimes, our area is dry, sunny and warm as the river rises out of its banks."

K_sKamper
Explorer
Explorer
Stayed there several times, love watching the barges go by.

kknowlton
Explorer
Explorer
We live in West Memphis and what I love about the place is that if they see a vehicle coming in that they dont' recognize, they'll stop it and make it leave if it is just sightseers.

True - I remember seeing them do this when we stayed there. Makes for good security.

Best time to camp here is NOT spring or early summer. I don't remember what time of year we were there, but late summer or fall is probably more likely to have the CG high & dry, so to speak.
2020 Toyota Tundra CrewMax 5.7L V8 w/ tow pkg, Equal-i-zer
2020 Lance 2375

barbandwayne
Explorer
Explorer
We live in West Memphis and what I love about the place is that if they see a vehicle coming in that they dont' recognize, they'll stop it and make it leave if it is just sightseers.

Veebyes
Explorer II
Explorer II
As a licensed skipper I really got a kick out of watching the tows go by. Those skippers have to have some real skill compensating for the current in those turns.
Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995

Executive45
Explorer III
Explorer III
I hate posts like this....

We had reservations last year but it was completely under water so they cancelled us.....I was looking forward to just what you've described.....I did put it in my book to remember to go back in the future....I'll just have to luck out on the weather......(sigh)......:).....Dennis
We can do more than we think we can, but most do less than we think we do
Dennis and Debi Fourteen Years Full Timing
Monaco Executive M-45PBQ Quad Slide
525HP Cummins ISM 6 Spd Allison
2014 Chevrolet Equinox LTZ W/ ReadyBrute
CLICK HERE TO VIEW OUR TRAVEL BLOG

Allworth
Explorer II
Explorer II
This time of year you always have to call a few days in advance. Looks like they will be flooded next week. You can also go to the COE website and check the river stage at Memphis.
Formerly posting as "littleblackdog"
Martha, Allen, & Blackjack
2006 Chevy 3500 D/A LB SRW, RVND 7710
Previously: 2008 Titanium 30E35SA. Currently no trailer due to age & mobility problems. Very sad!
"Real Jeeps have round headlights"

kknowlton
Explorer
Explorer
Moved to RV Parks, Campgrounds & Attractions.

Agreed with others - we enjoyed our stay there. The lower section often floods in the spring when the river does, but they are built to recover from it well (laundry on 2nd floor, etc.) Loved watching the barges go by.
2020 Toyota Tundra CrewMax 5.7L V8 w/ tow pkg, Equal-i-zer
2020 Lance 2375

mci7
Explorer
Explorer
The surprise was the size of the barges, up to 3,300 tons, they can string u to 42 together for south bound and 40 for north bound, read that 11,000 hp tugs are the biggest.
Just a big lazy river, can guess about the Tom & Huck stories.
That is big stuff for this country kid.
Dave M
Dave M
Central Virginia

JohnnyT
Explorer II
Explorer II
Moved from class A forum
2004 40DS02 Travel Supreme ISL 400
Jeep Grand Cherokee, Ford F150
M&G Brake & Break Away
Blue Ox Aventa LX Tow bar

mci7
Explorer
Explorer
Yes, it was clear with the electric service meters & breaker panels mounted about 20' up on poles, flooding was a familiar happening there.
Will go back one day.
Dave M
Dave M
Central Virginia

Cat_Lady
Explorer
Explorer
And free laundry facilities.

Cat Lady
As you slide down the banister of life, may the splinters never point the wrong way.

JTHarley
Explorer
Explorer
Great place just keep your eye on the skyโ€ฆ..heavy rains means get out!
Jim , MJ & Spirit of Sambuca Bear
2015 Dynamax DQ320XL
Jeep Sahara Toad

breeno
Explorer
Explorer
We love that place as well. Very enjoyable campground.
DW-Dayna DD-Addison (07) Husky-Juni (02)
2013 F350 DRW, 4WD, 6.7, Lariat Ultimate
2014 Heartland Gateway 3650 BH
B&W Companion OEM 20k
Apple Enthusiast