cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Transferring fresh water when dry camping

DRSmart
Explorer
Explorer
I’ve been transferring fresh water into our fresh tank while dry camping from 6 gallon water jugs using the onboard pump but it takes about 5 minutes for each jug. I set the Nautilus valves for filling the fresh tank with the internal pump. I’ve also tried using an external pony pump setting the Nautilus for city water. The pony pump providing the pressure. I’d like to use an external pump to speed things up and wondered what others are using. The on board pump is the SHURFLO 4008-101-A65 3.0 GPM Revolution RV Water Pump. There seems to be quite a resistance to my pony pump that I’ve tried and wondered if something like a 5.5gpm 60psi RV pump used externally would be a good way to go.
2014Dodge 3500, 2WD, 6.7 Cummins
Crew cab SB Aisin trans, Firestone Air Bags
Line-X, Pullrite 16K Superglide
2020 Jayco North Point 315RLTS
25 REPLIES 25

Crabbypatty
Explorer
Explorer
Our fifth wheel no longer has a gravity fill like the TTs had. Its a hose connection. The tank is small 44 gallons we doesnt make the week with the tow of us. We have 4 6 gallons green water jugs from our TT days. I have a electric transfer pump and found that the tank needs to be elevated for the suction to work. Once it grabs the water, 6 gallon tank is empty in about a minute. When the jugs finally die Ill replace the 44 with 75-100 gallon tank. Thats more than enough for our needs for a week which is how long we dry camp. After a week we need to empty the black tank......Such problems....
John, Lisa & Tara:B:C:)
2015 F250 4x4 6.2L 6 spd 3.73s, CC Short Bed, Pullrite Slide 2700, 648 Wts Solar, 4 T-125s, 2000 Watt Xantrax Inverter, Trimetric 2030 Meter, LED Lights, Hawkings Smart Repeater, Wilson Extreme Cellular Repeater, Beer, Ribs, Smoker

windinmyface2
Explorer
Explorer
Harbor Freight sells a battery(D cell) powered transfer pump for $10.00. it moved 35 gallons of water in under 5 minutes. I carry one for water, and one for fuel.
lets go!!

DRSmart
Explorer
Explorer
profdant139 wrote:
I did not know about the Nautilus. Does this mean you can't just stick a hose into the gravity fill port when you're at home preparing for a trip?

Hi Dan. There's no gravity fill port on our trailer.

profdant139. Our previous trailer had a gravity feed and I did as you do. Our current trailer only has water in via the Nautilus system which is a series of valves on a service panel and many 90 degree bends and fittings behind the panel, which I think restricts flow to some degree.

profdant139
Explorer II
Explorer II
I did not know about the Nautilus. Does this mean you can't just stick a hose into the gravity fill port when you're at home preparing for a trip?
2012 Fun Finder X-139 "Boondock Style" (axle-flipped and extra insulation)
2013 Toyota Tacoma Off-Road (semi-beefy tires and components)
Our trips -- pix and text
About our trailer
"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single list."

pinesman
Explorer
Explorer
I bought a 25 gallon spray rig from Northern Tool. I took off the spray hose and installed a quick connect water hose fitting. I took off the alligator clips from the electrical wires and replaced them with a regular 7 blade rv plug. The tank is strapped in front of my fifth wheel hitch. If my camper tank get low, I just hook up my electrical plug and water hose and refill my camper tank. My particular pump is not the fastest but it will empty the tank fast enough for me. I also have 4 of the green 6 gallon jugs that I used to use that I can now just pout into my 25 gallon tank if necessary

DRSmart
Explorer
Explorer
pnichols wrote:
I'm very interested in this discussion ... as I've been searching for a reliable, hand-held pump powered by a 12V cord - that I can merely plug into one of the RV's 12V outlets - so that I can transfer fresh water from a plastic 5 gallon jug on the ground up into the RV's outside fill spout.

I'd buy at least two of the right kind of pump - one for fresh water and another for gasoline (i.e. to fill the portable generator's tank from a 5-gallon jug). The common cheap ones available via Amazon don't hack it - I've tried and they're junk.

Does anyone have an online buying link to a decent 12V pump with a long cord that terminates in a 12V cigarette lighter male plug?

Hi pnichols. I've got one of the $100 'pony pumps' that has a rubber impeller inside that can wear out and break up. It worked pretty well for a while when you're filling a gravity feed spout on the RV. I'm looking at all the RV water pumps as a better solution. If you're planning on plugging into a 12 volt outlet in the trailer, check the current draw on the pump and the fusing on the trailer outlet. You might have a wider choice of pumps if you can install the 12 volt plug on the cord yourself or have someone do it for you. Also check the fittings provided on the pump to figure out what is needed to attach hoses.

pnichols
Explorer II
Explorer II
I'm very interested in this discussion ... as I've been searching for a reliable, hand-held pump powered by a 12V cord - that I can merely plug into one of the RV's 12V outlets - so that I can transfer fresh water from a plastic 5 gallon jug on the ground up into the RV's outside fill spout.

I'd buy at least two of the right kind of pump - one for fresh water and another for gasoline (i.e. to fill the portable generator's tank from a 5-gallon jug). The common cheap ones available via Amazon don't hack it - I've tried and they're junk.

Does anyone have an online buying link to a decent 12V pump with a long cord that terminates in a 12V cigarette lighter male plug?
2005 E450 Itasca 24V Class C

DRSmart
Explorer
Explorer
profdant139. Our previous trailer had a gravity feed and I did as you do. Our current trailer only has water in via the Nautilus system which is a series of valves on a service panel and many 90 degree bends and fittings behind the panel, which I think restricts flow to some degree.

profdant139
Explorer II
Explorer II
Maybe I am missing something, but when we are boondocking and I have to add water to the fresh tank, I lift up a six gallon jug of water and pour it into the fill port on the side of my trailer. We've been doing it that way for 16 years.

I should add that we use a big funnel in the fill port -- DW steadies the funnel while I pour the water.

It's great exercise, too! Biceps and legs and lots of other muscle groups get a nice workout.

This task is amusing in very cold or very windy or very rainy weather, and most amusing in cold windy rain. Snow is no problem -- it just slides right off.

Maybe I will look into a 12 volt pump, after all . . . . 😉
2012 Fun Finder X-139 "Boondock Style" (axle-flipped and extra insulation)
2013 Toyota Tacoma Off-Road (semi-beefy tires and components)
Our trips -- pix and text
About our trailer
"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single list."

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
If you're considering the Seaflo 5.5 GPM 60 psi pump, skip it. I just bought one (looking for better flow) and it's a total disappointment. Lousy pressure and about the same volume as my Shurflo 4008. Oh and it's horrendously loud and it vibrates due to cavitation.
I'm waiting for Shurflo to come out with a 5 chamber bypass pump.

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
Yeah, just get the most-capacity 12v pump you can. I'd also suggest bigger storage vessels. I have 4 26-gal 'boxes', custom made, so I can haul lots because I don't conserve. Hauling 75-100 gallons of water at a time is pretty nice.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman