cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Watkins Glen NY

jplante4
Explorer
Explorer
Spent 3 days at Clute Park in VofWG right at the base of Seneca Lake. Nights were a little chilly, but the days were clear and sunny. We were here last year and we stayed at the KOA. Clute Park is nicer and more convenient to downtown Watkins Glen. There's a Walmart within walking distance and the park across the street is great for picnics and the kiddies. Clute is a mix of seasonals and transients, and there were a number of large class As in the transient pull through areas. The staff is friendly and the park is kept clean and manicured.

The only issue we had was a rental car. We're trying toadless for a while to see if we can make it work. Don't bother commenting about whether or not we need a toad. I learn most everything the hard way.

Anyway, the closest Enterprise is 20 miles away in Horseheads. I had a car reserved for a day of winery hopping, and planned to take a cab to the rental location and drop it off on the way out by having the DW drive it back and I'd follow in the rig. However, we came through Horseheads on the way here and it's really too far away for that plan so we canceled the rental.

Another option is a wine tour limo for less than the cost of a cab ride and car rental. The added benefit of this is that you don't need to worry about how much wine you "sample".

Our solution was to hit a few wineries on the way to our next stop - Niagara. The preferred route goes right up Rt 14, which is where most of the vineyards are anyway. No sampling for me.

Didn't really need 3 days here. We should have done 2 here and 3 in Niagara (where, BTW, Enterprise will pick you up at Branches of Niagara campground).
Jerry & Jeanne
1996 Safari Sahara 3530 - 'White Tiger'
CAT 3126/Allison 6 speed/Magnum Chassis
2014 Equinox AWD / Blue Ox
3 REPLIES 3

pitch
Explorer
Explorer
Just a fair warning, the Wal Mart in Watkins is posted no trucks no rv's. They mean it!

A town that small could not handle NASCAR weekends without enforcement.

Thank you for visiting the Finger Lakes, come again, bring your friends!

Doug33
Explorer
Explorer
The only time I camped near WG was at a NASCAR race at the track, and that was 15 years ago in a PU! I'd love to get back there some day and explore the beauty.
2014 Keystone Bullet 281BHS
2002 Chevy Avalanche 5.3L 4x4
Equalizer hitch
Nights spent camping in 2015: 25
Next trip: mid-April 2016?

rr2254545
Explorer
Explorer
We were there at the same time as OP

Those that say you can walk to town mean one mile one way to the main shopping street. But well worth is as on that corner is the top rated restaurant in the city Jerlando's Ristorante & Pizza Co

The nice sites pictured on their web site with all the trees are all seasonals.

Cable was great
2012 Winnebago Journey 36M Cummins 360
2014 Jeep Cherokee
492 Campgrounds,107K miles driven in our Winnebago motor homes and 2360 nights camping since we retired in July 2009, 41 National Parks