cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Watkins Glen October 2019

Camper_Sue
Explorer
Explorer
Good Morning All, We are planning our first trip to Watkins Glen and hoping to get some input from those of you that have been there. Pros and cons as well as any favorite electric sites you may have. We have a Rockwood Roo 23IKSS and know it will be chilly but hope to make it there either the last week of Sept or first week of October (they close Oct 8th this year) Planning to camp there for 5-7 days so anything we should check in the area, we love to explore around outside of the parks as well. We will also have our dog Lucky with us! Thanking you in advance, stay safe and dry with this crazy weather coming our way on the East Coast. Sue
9 REPLIES 9

Camper_Sue
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you everyone! Appreciate your input, can't wait to make our reservations Sue

DrewE
Explorer II
Explorer II
For the state park (and many other NY public campgrounds), the CampADK campsite photo database is a very useful resource.

Some of the Watkins Glen state park campsites are expansively large. Some are pretty tight. I've camped in site 292 and I thought it was really nice (although it's not one of the electric sites); while they say 30' maximum, a larger one would easily fit and as I recall not have trouble with the access roads.

mdcamping
Explorer
Explorer
Seneca Lake is extremely scenic, ask for the flyer on the wine, cheese and beer trail around the lake. Lots of scenic venues overlooking the lake.

If money is no object the KOA has some high end sites you would probably enjoy, they also have the basic full hookup sites, more affordable but will still on the expensive side.

Mike
2022 F-150 3.5 EcoBoost 4X4 Supercrew GCWR 19,500 157WB
Payload 2476 Maxtow 13,800 3.73 Equalizer 4 Pt Sway Hitch
2017 Jayco Jay Flight 24RBS
Old TV, 07 Toyota Tacoma, Double Cab, Factory Tow Pkg, retired towing at 229K. (Son now owns truck)

WNYBob
Explorer
Explorer
Check Google Maps. Most of the WG State campground has street level views, so you can virtually walk the sites, if you are on a computer. But you can make reservations only 9 months before you arrive!

jplante4
Explorer
Explorer
We've stayed at both Clute Park and the KOA. Clute is nice because it's right downtown, across the street from a really nice park and walking distance to a Walmart. The sites are a little close but not awning-to-slideout close.

The back sites at the KOA are very nice, with cement pads and patios and away from the road noise. It is right next to railroad and trains do come through at night.

Check the race schedule at The Glen. The KOA is within earshot of the racetrack. The weekend we were there, there was no race but there was still noise from the track.
Jerry & Jeanne
1996 Safari Sahara 3530 - 'White Tiger'
CAT 3126/Allison 6 speed/Magnum Chassis
2014 Equinox AWD / Blue Ox

RobWNY
Explorer
Explorer
in 2015 we stayed at site 84, Mohawk Village in Watkins Glen State Park. It had 30 Amp Electric and was close to a water spigot and the bathrooms. At the time we had a 34 foot travel trailer and we fit in the site fine. Walking the gorge is a must but like has been said, take the shuttle to the top and walk down. It's 800 steps! Really awesome to walk behind a waterfall and to see the cracks and crevices in the rock formations that were created when Africa and North America collided all those millions of years ago. The race track is always fun to go to. If no sanctioned race is going on, you can watch locals run the track in their hotrods. Nice town. We will be going back.
2020 Silverado 2500HD LT, CC, 4X4 6.6 Duramax
2021 Grand Design Reflection 311BHS

I asked him to do one thing and he didn't do any of them.

esyers
Explorer
Explorer
It's been several years, but we liked Clute Park right in the village. We parked at the bottom of the gorge and took the shuttle to the top to walk down. Much easier than walking up.

Many , many other things to do in the area.

Clute Park

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
Posts with WG in them
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

Kentucky__Jo
Explorer
Explorer
We have been there two times. Love the park and the campground. We walked the trail down, then took the shuttle back up. There is a fee for the shuttle. Several nice restaurants in the area. We really only spent the one day on the trail and then we moved on.