cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What is your favorite Corps of Engineer Campground?

mikeleblanc413
Explorer
Explorer
I'm planning a cross country trip, from Texas west, staying at Corps of Engineers Campgrounds. I enjoy the roominess and quietness of the parks and my Senior Pass will give me a reduced rate. I would certainly appreciate hearing of your favorite COE park in any state. I've noticed on the COE Gateway website, that in some instances reservations are suggested. Are reservations absolutely necessary, or can you drive up and get a site. My thinking is that reservations would put one on too much of a schedule.

Let me know what you really liked about the campground you like: even a site number would be appreciated. THANK YOU.
Mike LeBlanc
The Piney Woods Of East Texas
Lufkin, Texas
15 REPLIES 15

rwjejits
Explorer
Explorer
"What is your favorite Corps of Engineer Campground?"

...any one that would be open these days.
2004 Ford F250 6.0
OEM TTYs Still Tight
210+ and Pulls Great
Original Owner- Lawrence Marshall Ford - Hempsted, Tx. (Closed 2009)
SCT, SG2, Deletes, Pyro, Free Flowing Exhaust, Timbrens, ELC & Filter

2011 Keystone Laredo 245RL

Dance_Chick
Explorer
Explorer
Maumelle COE in Little Rock AR. Very, very nice cg. Our site was right on the Arkansas River and was a spectacular site. It was a reservable site, and we lucked out and got it as a walk in. However, we couldn't stay more than 3 days as it was reserved, so we had to leave. That is the downside of a walk in.
Gene, Gayle, & Oliver (the dog)
2006 Holiday Rambler Endeavor 40 PDQ/2012 Honda CRV toad
Blue Ox tow bar & base plate/Air Force One braking

Heisenberg
Explorer
Explorer
The Federal Government is inadequate in many areas. However the COE parks seem to outdo their parents.
2013 Winnebago Sightseer
2017 Colorado

John_S2
Explorer
Explorer
We just stayed at the Canal COE campground by the Land Between the Lakes recreation area in KY. Nice park.
John & Peg S.
99 Coachman Class C - 24ft

Veebyes
Explorer II
Explorer II
Have not found a COE CG or a SP built by the COE that we have not liked.
Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995

SailingOn
Explorer
Explorer
Potters Creek, not far from New Braunfels (central Tx). With the water down, it's a hundred yards or so from campsite to water though.
Buck: 2004 Wilderness Yukon 8275S, now memories.
Star: Open range LF297RLS. 2 air conditioners!
Togo: 2014 Winnebago View Profile, 2013 Sprinter chassis; 16 mpg
Snow: 2020 F250 diesel
AD5GR

GopherBroke
Explorer
Explorer
We are new at this however I had read about Corp campgrounds, and while in South Dakota we stayed at West Bend CG, and Ohwa (sp) which had been corp cg but are now in the SD state park system. Both were excellent parks.

kiwidancer
Explorer
Explorer
We love COE parks, but especially during the week. We've found that they tend to fill up and feel much more hectic on weekends due to heavy boater use. If you enjoy the crowds, though, that might not matter to you!

Most COE parks we've been to in Texas have such nice covered picnic table patios, and sites are always spacious. We like the two on Lake Georgetown and those on Stillhouse Hollow Lake and Lake Belton.

And yes, they are all closed right now but let's hope that is short-lived. Have fun!

Mountain_Mama
Explorer
Explorer
mikeleblanc413 wrote:
doxiemom11 said, "You can also set up on a "reservable" site that is empty and pay for 3 days and then move if someone does reserve it. There is a 3 day window on reservations meaning if I reserve on Monday - I can't get the site until at least Thursday. If you want to stay longer, you may just need to change sites."

THANK YOU so much for the info. What is the average cost of campsites? What is the length of stay permitted?

Mike, I think the average time limit on COE parks is 14 days and the sites are approx. $18 - $24 (full price)depending on hookups. Go to recreation.gov and check out some parks in the areas you're planning on going through and see what they have to offer! Have fun! They are great parks and if they are closed, hopefully they will be open soon!!! (I have friends who are on a month long trip starting yesterday and have reservations for COE parks. They are wondering if they just need to come home...I sure hope not!)
2003 Holiday Rambler Alumascape 34RLT

Bonefish
Explorer
Explorer
Better check to see if they are open!

Sharon

powderman426
Explorer
Explorer
Dog Folks wrote:
I like them all. Haven't found a "bad" one yet.

Same here. Most but not always you wont need reservations on monday through thursday. Weekends are anybodies guess.
Ron & Charlotte
WD8CBT since 1976
32' Gulfstream Ameri-Camp & 05 Ram QC LB

I started with nothing and I still have most of it left

I never fail, I just succeed in finding out what doesn't work

mikeleblanc413
Explorer
Explorer
doxiemom11 said, "You can also set up on a "reservable" site that is empty and pay for 3 days and then move if someone does reserve it. There is a 3 day window on reservations meaning if I reserve on Monday - I can't get the site until at least Thursday. If you want to stay longer, you may just need to change sites."

THANK YOU so much for the info. What is the average cost of campsites? What is the length of stay permitted?
Mike LeBlanc
The Piney Woods Of East Texas
Lufkin, Texas

doxiemom11
Explorer II
Explorer II
If you go to the reservations site and fill in the info, it will then tell you if there are sites available for your approximate time period. It will also show you if some of the sites are available for "walk in". Most have some sites set aside for those that just drive in. You can also fill in the length of your RV and when the choices pop up the size of the sites show. Some have photos of the site if you click on the site #. You can actually research alot about the park by starting the reservation process, just don't complete it with a payment.

That said --- the government shut down is closing the COE parks. We are in one now and have to leave by tomorrow at 8pm. Sure alters our travel plans and expense.

You can also set up on a "reservable" site that is empty and pay for 3 days and then move if someone does reserve it. There is a 3 day window on reservations meaning if I reserve on Monday - I can't get the site until at least Thursday. If you want to stay longer, you may just need to change sites.

Markiemark32
Explorer
Explorer
Petersburg Campground (Augusta GA)

Markiemark:C
Banned member for posting Customer satisfaction maybe catching up : http://rvmiles.com/camping-world-investors-file-class-action-after-stocks-fall-60/
OK to ban per Mark F.