cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

What rights do campers have in regards to reservations.

tvfrfireman
Explorer
Explorer
We have been spending the last eight years on the Parker Strip in Arizona for the month of March. We meet with about seven other friends every year. The people who are in our spot always leave at the end of Feb. My wife got a call from the RV Park today and the girl at the desk said we were going to have to move about a quarter mile north from our friends because the people want to stay another month. Do we have any recourse? We already paid in full.
42 REPLIES 42

tvfrfireman
Explorer
Explorer
Tyler0215 wrote:
Call the park directly and explain that you are stay with a group. Be polite, if you start talking about your "RIGHTS" you have lost the argument. Point out your reservation is for a specific site and that's the one you would like to have.
We aren't stupid. We won't talk about our rights. I will find out what my legal rights and have an attorney send a letter. They have had our money for nine months. Why is the guy at asking for the spot nine months after we paid for it and getting preference?

tvfrfireman
Explorer
Explorer
midnightsadie wrote:
IF your paper work says its your site on that day, why can,t the park move the other people?
As I recall, I think the new manager of the park is friends with the fellow next to me.

tvfrfireman
Explorer
Explorer
DrewE wrote:
Realistically, there probably is not much if any recourse; at best, you may be able to get your reservation cancelled and your money refunded, which doesn't sound to me to be particularly satisfactory for anyone involved. It depends on what the campground specifically guarantees with a reservation. Many I've seen only guarantee a suitable site (which I take to mean of the size and amenities requested) and will make an effort to get a specific requested site but explicitly will not guarantee that. If that's the case, it sounds as though you're getting exactly what was promised (and what you paid for).

I might try nicely asking the office if there is some way to work out getting a site closer to your friends; it never hurts to ask gently. Perhaps they didn't realize or consider the fact that you were camping with a group.
We told them we were with a group. They know us after going there for eight years straight. They have knew management. There own policy states that if you reserve the spot you are in and pay for it your last day there, you can have it the next year.

Walaby
Explorer II
Explorer II
What does your reservation paperwork say.. in total.. not just site 87. Does it say anything about even if a numbered site is provided, that the campground reserves the right to change to another, equal site?

I personally would call first instead of writing. If you talk to them, in a calm, reasonable manner, maybe they can ask the other folks if they wouldn't mind moving, given your situation.

I get the idea about writing, because there's a record, but a personal touch works better sometimes. You can then follow up via email to confirm the phone call.

Mike
Im Mike Willoughby, and I approve this message.
2017 Ram 3500 CTD (aka FRAM)
2019 GrandDesign Reflection 367BHS

TenOC
Nomad
Nomad
Please explain to me in $$$$ how much you were damaged?
Please give me enough troubles, uncertainty, problems, obstacles and STRESS so that I do not become arrogant, proud, and smug in my own abilities, and enough blessings and good times that I realize that someone else is in charge of my life.

Travel Photos

Hankjoe
Explorer
Explorer
I would send a copy of my reservation and also a written letter saying you understand that the people wish to stay another month however, you have been spending the past 8 years there and specifically reserve that site because it is near your friends.
Basically your reservation states the site number and that was your expectations - otherwise why reserve?
I personally believe it's better to write or fax so you have some proof and it's harder to blow you off. If you write the letter send it with tracking - which shows when they resceived it.
Good luck.

Tyler0215
Explorer
Explorer
Call the park directly and explain that you are stay with a group. Be polite, if you start talking about your "RIGHTS" you have lost the argument. Point out your reservation is for a specific site and that's the one you would like to have.

midnightsadie
Explorer II
Explorer II
IF your paper work says its your site on that day, why can,t the park move the other people?

BB_TX
Nomad
Nomad
If you are determined to pursue it, the only way to know is to take all documentation including any and all park info and rules to a lawyer. A letter from a lawyer may sway their position. Of course that will not endear you to the park owners/management. And will cost you the lawyer fee unless you go even farther and sue for breach of contract, if that even applies.

USAFBILL
Explorer
Explorer
Wonder if the people already in your site has site number and exact time reserved shown on their reservation. Seems to me that the other folks would be required to move off of the site if it is already reserved for your time,
JMO
2003 Cougar 285EFS
2000 Chev 2500 Ex Cab

DrewE
Explorer II
Explorer II
Realistically, there probably is not much if any recourse; at best, you may be able to get your reservation cancelled and your money refunded, which doesn't sound to me to be particularly satisfactory for anyone involved. It depends on what the campground specifically guarantees with a reservation. Many I've seen only guarantee a suitable site (which I take to mean of the size and amenities requested) and will make an effort to get a specific requested site but explicitly will not guarantee that. If that's the case, it sounds as though you're getting exactly what was promised (and what you paid for).

I might try nicely asking the office if there is some way to work out getting a site closer to your friends; it never hurts to ask gently. Perhaps they didn't realize or consider the fact that you were camping with a group.

tvfrfireman
Explorer
Explorer
2oldman wrote:
Bummer. I guess that depends on whether the park guarantees you a specific space, or 'a space'.
Our reservation say site 87 paid in full for March of 2018.

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
Bummer. I guess that depends on whether the park guarantees you a specific space, or 'a space'.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman