cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Where To Stay In/Near Savannah?

Merry
Explorer
Explorer
We would like to stay in or near Savannah on our way home from Florida next month. We were there once, years ago but that was pre-rv and we stayed in a hotel. I would appreciate any suggestions.
Thanks!
2014 Pleasure-Way Pursuit (B+)
16 REPLIES 16

spoon059
Explorer II
Explorer II
Merry wrote:
It will be a tough decision.

No it won't you'll still be in beautiful Savannah! That was my theory when our #1 and #2 campgrounds were full. Worked out well for us! Enjoy the city. For great seafood on the river, try Barracuda Bobs. Vinnie Van Go-go's is the best pizza in town too.

Lots of the candy shops in City Market and the riverfront give out free samples of pralines too...
2015 Ram CTD
2015 Jayco 29QBS

Merry
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you all for the replies. It will be a tough decision. We are leaning towards Red Gate as that seems to be the closest. We need to make a reservation tomorrow. I'll post the one we choose.

spoon059
Explorer II
Explorer II
We were just there last week for 3 nights on our way down to Florida. We have stayed at Rivers End Campground on Tybee Island, just outside of Savannah. Its nice but TIGHT spots.

We were trying to stay at Redgate this time around, but thy were booked. We then tried for Skidaway Island, but they were booked. We ended up staying at Savannah Oaks. Let me tell you, the reviews there are pretty bad and I can't understand why...

The bathrooms were clean, showers were nice and hot, park was pretty with lots of Spanish moss. Sites were pretty tight, but the park was only half full so we weren't cramped at all. Nice campstore and even gas pumps right on site. It was about 15 minutes from downtown (1 or 2 exits north on I95). I would stay there again.

Wherever you stay, you need to go to the Breakfast Club on Tybee Island for breakfast one morning. Its worth the drive...
2015 Ram CTD
2015 Jayco 29QBS

magnusfide
Explorer II
Explorer II
Chock Full o' Nuts wrote:

---If what you are looking for is lots of huge water oaks dripping with Spanish moss, hiking trails, large W/E sites, quiet and lovely, then Skidaway is your park. It's a little off the beaten path, but not hard to get to. They have put in sewer at 16-17 sites only and it's hard as heck to get into one unless you reserve a few weeks or months in advance. (I actually just got the last FHU site for a one week stay in early March. Yay!)

I have stayed in both parks and I like them equally well. Each one has it's place, IMO. Both are clean and well-kept parks.

We're hoping that FHUs will be put in more GA SPs.
"The only time you should fear cast iron is if your wife is fixin' to hit you with it."-Kent Rollins
First law of science: don't spit into the wind.

Magnus

trailertraveler
Explorer
Explorer
Merry wrote:
We are hoping to stop on our way home and be there for St.Patrick's day. I will check out the places mentioned. Thanks for the suggestions so far!
St. Patrick's Day is a big event in Savannah. I would try to make reservations as soon as possible.
Safe travels!
Trailertraveler

Duck
Explorer
Explorer
We stayed at Savannah South KOA also. Nice cg and short trip to town.
Don
08-FORD F350 PSD
13 Bighorn 3055RL {For Sale}

Chock_Full_o__N
Explorer
Explorer
Well, I'm gonna vote for both Skidaway Island State Park AAAANNDD Savannah South KOA, in Richmond Hill! :B

--If what you're looking for is something easy on/off I-95, that has a pool for the kids, a lake with canoes and swans (!), FHU, level sites, WiFi, laundry, a little store, and a doggy play area, Savannah South might be the place for you. There are several good restaurants down the road that you might like, too.

---If what you are looking for is lots of huge water oaks dripping with Spanish moss, hiking trails, large W/E sites, quiet and lovely, then Skidaway is your park. It's a little off the beaten path, but not hard to get to. They have put in sewer at 16-17 sites only and it's hard as heck to get into one unless you reserve a few weeks or months in advance. (I actually just got the last FHU site for a one week stay in early March. Yay!)

I have stayed in both parks and I like them equally well. Each one has it's place, IMO. Both are clean and well-kept parks.
"Those who dwell...among the beauties and mysteries of the earth are never alone or weary of life."--Rachel Carson, environmentalist, 1956

2009 Ford F250 XL
2006 Dutchmen 25F
Me & DH in non-parenting mode!

mgh122
Explorer
Explorer
Hardeeville CG in Hardeevlle SC 10 Minutes from downtown Savannah we were there 2 years ago for Patty's Day, nothing fancy but a fast ride to town.
Mike & Peg
Aint' life grand!!
'05 Discovery 39S
'04 Grand Cherokee Freedom, M&G, Roadmaster Sterling
http://discovery-on-the-road.blogspot.com/
Zeus the Wonder Dog
"makes you wonder doesn't he"

Merry
Explorer
Explorer
We are hoping to stop on our way home and be there for St.Patrick's day. I will check out the places mentioned. Thanks for the suggestions so far!

alid
Explorer
Explorer
Merry wrote:
We would like to stay in or near Savannah on our way home from Florida next month. We were there once, years ago but that was pre-rv and we stayed in a hotel. I would appreciate any suggestions.
Thanks!

Savannah South KOA Campground is right off of 95.. if you are looking for a place on the way.. this may be it for you.. It's not a bad ride into Savannah from there... but I like the location and if you are just staying for the night and are leaving early they have a few pull through sites out front (if I remember correctly)
2009 Winnebago Adventure 32h
2006 Terry Quantum 330FKDS (beach getaway)
2003 Aprilia Atlantic 500
2007 Honda Reflex
2 house rabbits "George and MiMi"

TPUC
Explorer
Explorer
Skid A Way is nice. They are putting in Full Hook Up Sites
2012 Nissan Titan Pro 4X
2014 Cruiser Aire

wannavolunteerF
Explorer
Explorer
I am staying at Red Gate Campground next month, don't know much about it, but chose it because my SIL is in a wedding at the plantation house there at Red Gate Farms and it will be convenient for my babysitting/dog sitting responsibilities. DD & SIL are letting me keep their dog, since hotel doesn't allow and dog doesn't board well. I also get to keep Granddaughter when her mom and dad have wedding duties.

I stayed at Ft McAllister State Park last year and while it was a bit further out, it was still a great place. We chose Ft McAllister over Skidaway, because they were working on the sites at that time and would not have water for a couple of the days I planned to be there.
2015 FR Georgetown 378TS

eb145
Explorer
Explorer
ljr wrote:
magnusfide wrote:
USMC1968 wrote:
Skidaway State Park is nice this time of year

Double ditto. They also offer full hookups, reasonable rates and very convenient to Savannah. Here's the link
Skidaway Island State Park

I'll see your double and raise one more. Super convenient to downtown Savannah.

Haven't been there since they added the FHU sites but I'm looking forward to it the next time I do the East Coast.

Skidaway Island State Park is really nice. I was there in October with the new FHU sites. Really nice.

Ed

ljr
Explorer III
Explorer III
magnusfide wrote:
USMC1968 wrote:
Skidaway State Park is nice this time of year

Double ditto. They also offer full hookups, reasonable rates and very convenient to Savannah. Here's the link
Skidaway Island State Park

I'll see your double and raise one more. Super convenient to downtown Savannah.

Haven't been there since they added the FHU sites but I'm looking forward to it the next time I do the East Coast.
Larry