cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Which RV for boondocking

missouri_dave
Explorer
Explorer
I'm a full timer. I have lived full time in a arctic fox 335v for two years. Right now I'm still working and stationary but I plan to go out west and more or less boondock semi-permenently when I retire. My choices are purchase a diesel pusher and pull my jeep wrangler as a toad or purchase a toyhauler and tow vehicle and put a polaris rzr in the garage. If it makes a difference I also have two dogs. Leaving cost out of the equation, which is the better boondock vehicle and why? I saw another similar thread but didn't want to highjack it.
9 REPLIES 9

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
JFNM wrote:
In my opinion, something having the largest tanks you can find, plenty of room for solar panels on the roof, and space for a good size battery bank (450 Ah minimum).

I have 115 gallons fresh, 65 gray, 45 black. Three weeks is not difficult, four weeks if I conserve. 650 watts of solar provide all my electrical needs.

The rest is pure opinion and what fits YOUR lifestyle.

I prefer my Jeep and bicycles. I don't care for those quad things but obviously a lot of folks feel differently - hardly seems right to suggest that what I like is the "right" approach.

This was us exactly as we had a Newmar DP, too.... big tanks and solar... but only two weeks on the tanks with the two of us. We were easily able to travel on good gravel roads without boulder hopping.

We also had lots of enjoyment with our Jeep.
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

JFNM
Explorer
Explorer
In my opinion, something having the largest tanks you can find, plenty of room for solar panels on the roof, and space for a good size battery bank (450 Ah minimum).

I have 115 gallons fresh, 65 gray, 45 black. Three weeks is not difficult, four weeks if I conserve. 650 watts of solar provide all my electrical needs.

The rest is pure opinion and what fits YOUR lifestyle.

I prefer my Jeep and bicycles. I don't care for those quad things but obviously a lot of folks feel differently - hardly seems right to suggest that what I like is the "right" approach.
JD - Full timer out west
1998 MCI 102-EL3 Revolution | 2010 Wrangler (daJeep) | 1.7kW Solar - 10kWh Lithium
My Adventures

Mandalay_Parr
Explorer
Explorer
I love my MH.
Jerry Parr
Full-time
2005 Mandalay 40B
Cat C7 350, 4 Slides
Blue Ox, Brake Buddy
2004 CR-V Toad
jrparr@att.net
602-321-8141
K7OU - Amateur Radio
Kenwood Radios
ARRL, W5YI, & LARC VE
SKYWARN Weather Spotter

Ivylog
Explorer III
Explorer III
2chiefsRus wrote:
consider fresh, black and grey water tank capacity.

X2...DP. If you are going to stay in the same place for a month+ at a time then the TH.
This post is my opinion (free advice). It is not intended to influence anyone's judgment nor do I advocate anyone do what I propose.
Sold 04 Dynasty to our son after 14 great years.
Upgraded with a 08 HR Navigator 45โ€™...

dahkota
Explorer
Explorer
If you are going to spend a lot of time sitting (not moving) in the desert, you are better off not buying a diesel pusher. The advantage of a DP is moving, not staying in the same place. If you will be moving every week or two, buy a MH, gas or diesel.

Just an FYI, our trailer could be dragged to more places than our class A can go. The weight of the class A (22K+ lbs.) makes driving in sand, mud, and soft clay much more difficult (and risky). There is no way our jeep can pull our bus out of a quagmire but the F250 we had could pull the trailer out of anything, from the back or the winch in front, which ever worked better.
We also are more timid driving the A on truly horrible roads that we would drag our tt on - we didn't have to listen to all the noises in the tt; in the class A, it sounds like a major earthquake (which I guess it is).

If you want to be more remote, a tow behind is easier. If you aren't wandering very far off the road, a class A works.
2015 Jeep Willys Wrangler
2014 Fleetwood Bounder 33C
States camped: all but Hawaii
more than 1700 days on the road

eichacsj
Explorer
Explorer
Though I loved our quad, but going to the same area gets really boring on a quad. I learned all the leaves and rocks up on the Rim here in AZ. Also a quad has different licensing and use laws in every state. We eventually got rid of the quad after about 5 years because it just got boring (we do not race it we site see).

IMO I would go the DP and Jeep. Jeep has licensing and use laws similar in all states. If you are not in AZ you can drive the jeep on the highways to get to new spots to site see.
2014 Arctic Fox 30U
2001 Silverado 2500 HD, 4WD
8.1 Vortec / 4.10 gears / ATS Stage 2 Allison Transmission with Co-Pilot
Tekonsha Prodigy P2 Brake Controller
Reece Class 5 Hitch with 1700lb bars

2chiefsRus
Explorer
Explorer
consider fresh, black and grey water tank capacity.
Dave & Kathy
2007 Monaco Knight 40PDQ towing 2018 Ford F-150 & 2017 Harley Trike
Fulltime 2007 to 2016, now halftimers
Before you give someone a piece of your mind, make sure you can get by with what will be left.
Our Blog
National Parks Visited

the_bear_II
Explorer
Explorer
The toyhauler provides more flexibility. You'll have the Razor to play in and your tow vehicle to run errands in. The garage of the toyhauler provides a space that can be converted to whatever you need when the Razor is unloaded. Workshop, entertainment center, guest bedroom, additional living room, office....etc.

If something on the MH drivetrain goes bad then your house may end up at the repair shop and you'll be in a motel. If your tow vehicle breaks you can send it to the shop and still have your home.

TexasShadow
Explorer II
Explorer II
I think your choices are both viable, so it really falls on your personal likes/dislikes.
we like our diesel pusher and would look for one slightly bigger (more slide outs) if we went full time. but we recently got a pickup for our toad because we want to take a golf cart with us. I see you have a "toy" you'd like to take, too.
I don't know how long trailers last compared to motorhomes, but I'd guess a lot depends on your regular maintenance.

Probably, you can take a toy hauler places you cannot or should not take a motorhome. Some boondocking places have pretty rough access roads sometimes.

Finally, the only critical thing for me in a trailer is that I can use it with or without the slides out.
TexasShadow
Holiday Rambler Endeavor LE/ 3126B Cat
Sometimes BMW K75 on Rear Carrier
Jeep Grand Cherokee or 2016 Ford XLT 4x4 super cab with 8 ft bed
M&G aux brake system
854 Watts of Solar Power

Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else.