cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Which Thousand Trails Park is best on the OR / WA coast

holstein13
Explorer
Explorer
We are planning a trip to the PNW this summer and plan to be in OR at the end of June for a couple of weeks. We are traveling in a large 45 foot class A motorhome that requires 50 amps. My wife and our two children 11 and 14 will be with us.

Both my wife and the girls love the beach. Easy access to the beach would be a positive factor for our family. Me, I like the beach in limited quantities. I'd be more interested in local attractions, grocery shopping, and good internet. I have a Thousand Trails membership and would love to use it on this trip.

Given the above, which campground do you think would best suit our family?
1) South Jetty RV & Camping Resort
2) Pacific City RV and Camping Resort
3) Whalers Rest RV Resort & Campground
4) Long Beach RV Resort & Campground
2015 Newmar King Aire 4599
2012 Ford F150 Supercrew Cab
-------------------------------------------------------------
`
10 REPLIES 10

Acampingwewillg
Explorer II
Explorer II
Getting a 50 amp spot with full hook ups can be interesting but Whaler's Rest is mostly 50 amp with full hook-ups as I recall, South Jetty, not so easy and narrow sites with 50 amp power and a lot of 30 amp sites with just water/electric. Seaside, on the North side, is pretty much all 50 amp full hook up and Pacific City has some 50 amp full hook up sites but you do have to seek them out. Pacific City, once again, is a huge Park...when we were their, the first couple of section's were closed for the season. They do have a few sites over-looking the ocean from across the highway.
96 Vogue Prima Vista
The Kid's: Humphrie, the Mini Schnauzer and Georgie,wire haired dachshund.
Rainbow Bridge: Laddie,Scoutie,Katie,Cooper,Kodie,Rubie,Maggie, Cassie, Mollie, Elvis, Potter and Rosie Love You! (40+ years in all)

holstein13
Explorer
Explorer
samsontdog wrote:
A lot of time you can not get a 50 amp site nor full hookups
Thank you for your recommendations. Can you elaborate further on this statement? Is it the same in each of the parks you mentioned or are some parks better with hookups than others?
`

samsontdog
Explorer
Explorer
Our fav TT Parks are
1 Pacific City
2 Seaside
3 Whalers Rest
4 South Jetty
A lot of time you can not get a 50 amp site nor full hookups
Most sites I could get into with our 40 ft MH at the time. 45 ft I don't know We spend two to 3 months every summer in TT Parks along the Oregon Wash Coast. For us it is hard to beat for the price about $1.83 a night as my dues are $275 and we spend about 150 days at TT Parks as we can go from Park to Park with no time out
samsontdog:o:W

Acampingwewillg
Explorer II
Explorer II
Since I just did 6 weeks on the Oregon coast at TT Park's, I can tell you what we liked. At first glance, Whaler's Rest would probably be our first choice(we stayed 3 weeks). While many prefer the North side of the campground, we enjoyed the more wooded south side. A good many sites will work for you but get their site guide if Sat reception is important. It's a short walk to the beach and you are not far from town(make sure you visit Szabo's Steak house on Tuesday for there 16oz Ribeye for 11-12 buck's...its a great deal)!

We didn't stay at South Jetty but we did drive through...most of their 50 amp sites would be tight for a 45 foot rig(lots of tree stumps) but if you can make do with 30 amp, they have some nice wooded sites that would work.

Pacific City(we stayed 10 days), this CG is large and spread out. They do have sites that would work for you but some of the roads internally could be challenging (doable though). Here again, lots of 50 amp sites and lots of greenery between sites so you feel secluded....Pacific City would be a close second to Whaler's Rest. OH...the Lodge here has the best view across the roadway to the ocean...very nice.

Seaside(near the Washington border) is a CG that many rave about and while it is very close to town(walking distance) with many eateries and sites to see, we found the CG to be more like a parking lot. Large 50 amp sites are plentiful...no problem there!

Once again, we didn't stay at Long Beach but did drive over for the day. The sites here are back to back(literally). It's a nice enough Park but wasn't a favorite. I think the sites have a common pedestal with a 30 amp and a 50 amp setup...so if you are first on site, you get to choose the one you want otherwise you get what's left.

I think that's it..if you have any question's, just ask away. Have a Great trip!
96 Vogue Prima Vista
The Kid's: Humphrie, the Mini Schnauzer and Georgie,wire haired dachshund.
Rainbow Bridge: Laddie,Scoutie,Katie,Cooper,Kodie,Rubie,Maggie, Cassie, Mollie, Elvis, Potter and Rosie Love You! (40+ years in all)

old_guy
Explorer
Explorer
I used to stay at sea perch rv park and it is right on the ocean. what amazed me is how the rates went from 28 a night to 85 a night, one season to the next.

rr2254545
Explorer
Explorer
holstein13 wrote:
donn0128 wrote:
Almost any of the Oregon State Parks are better than the TT parks I have driven through.
Do they accept 45 foot rigs with full hookups and 50 amps?

Yes they do some of the finest state parks in the country

List of state parks on the coast with full hookups north to south

Park Full Hookup
Fort Stevens 170
Cape Lookout 35
Devils Lake 25

Beverly Beach 53
Washburne 50
Honeymoon 45
Umpqua Lighthouse 10

Sunset Bay 30
Bullards Beach 100
Harris Beach 35
2012 Winnebago Journey 36M Cummins 360
2014 Jeep Cherokee
492 Campgrounds,107K miles driven in our Winnebago motor homes and 2360 nights camping since we retired in July 2009, 41 National Parks

donn0128
Explorer II
Explorer II
holstein13 wrote:
donn0128 wrote:
Almost any of the Oregon State Parks are better than the TT parks I have driven through.

Just check out OSP web site via either reserveamerica or reservations north west web sites. Other good to great places, sea and sand, salmon harbor at winchester bay, netarts bay rv park. All of which offer spectactular ocean/bay views.

Y-Guy
As I'm not a member I can't speak very well. But the 1 & 2 are not near the beach. South Jetty is near the Sand Dunes, and close to the area where you're probably going to hear ATVs and other dune vehicles.

We camped in Pacific City at Cape Kiwanda RV Park which is just a huge parking lot, not on my list to go back to. We drove past Pacific City RV and Camping Resort on our way home, I wasn't overly impressed from the drive by, but with a toad you can get to the beach, brew pub and a bit further out you have shopping.

If you want great beach view and access check out Sea Perch RV Resort I know it's not in the TT system but the views are near impossible to beat as your about 30' from the ocean if you have one of the prime sites.

Two Wire Fox Terriers; Sarge & Sully

2007 Winnebago Sightseer 35J

2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon

holstein13
Explorer
Explorer
donn0128 wrote:
`

donn0128
Explorer II
Explorer II