cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

New concept (?) in rest areas?

DandD2015
Explorer
Explorer
My wife and I stayed over at a rest area this past week here in Texas. Now they have what they call "Safety Rest Areas." We rolled in around midnight, Thanksgiving Eve, just east of Pecos. I went inside and there was a police officer on duty. Just thought I'd share for those who want a safe (and free) place to overnight in Texas. Info and map in links below.

http://www.txdot.gov/driver/travel/rest-areas.html

http://www.txdot.gov/driver/travel/rest-areas.html?CFC__target=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.dot.state.tx.us%2Fapps-cg%2Fsafety_rest_areas%2Fmap.htm
16 REPLIES 16

dodge_guy
Explorer II
Explorer II
Texas does everything right! If they can supply an officer then they are doing just fine!
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

TxTwoSome
Explorer
Explorer
tatest wrote:
I've also encountered rest areas in Mississippi with security guards on duty.

X2
Bruce & Cindy (Chihuahua's Rambo & Chuy)
2016 Jayco 23RLSW
2014 Ram 1500 5.7 Hemi
Blue Ox SwayPro

DandD2015
Explorer
Explorer
Note, of course, that this doesn't apply to ALL Texas rest areas. That original link showed the ones that were of the "safety" variety and it does sound like they're trying to update/upgrade throughout the state. But, with 250K square miles, it's hard to say what will/won't be improved. The brochure says there will be "Office space for law enforcement personnel" so hopefully they'll all be manned.

On our way toward Pecos, we actually encountered a semi that was weaving. Drunk? Falling asleep? Having a seizure? I don't know. We saw him nearly run a person or two off and decided to call 911. They said they'd send somebody. About ten minutes later the semi exited and we called back to let them know. We never did see the police, though. In that case, getting a policeman who was already at a rest stop (i.e. on the interstate) would have been good, but I suppose he wouldn't be able to abandon his post.

magnusfide
Explorer II
Explorer II
DandD2015 wrote:
My wife and I stayed over at a rest area this past week here in Texas. Now they have what they call "Safety Rest Areas." We rolled in around midnight, Thanksgiving Eve, just east of Pecos. I went inside and there was a police officer on duty. Just thought I'd share for those who want a safe (and free) place to overnight in Texas. Info and map in links below.

http://www.txdot.gov/driver/travel/rest-areas.html

http://www.txdot.gov/driver/travel/rest-areas.html?CFC__target=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.dot.state.tx.us%2Fapps-cg%2Fsafety_rest_areas%2Fmap.htm

Good for Texas; I'll thank the officers the next time we drive through.
"The only time you should fear cast iron is if your wife is fixin' to hit you with it."-Kent Rollins
First law of science: don't spit into the wind.

Magnus

tatest
Explorer II
Explorer II
I've also encountered rest areas in Mississippi with security guards on duty.
Tom Test
Itasca Spirit 29B

Matt_Colie
Explorer
Explorer
Texas rest stops are prime. Most if not all have WiFi available. We really like the one near Amarillo. Many in Iowa have a dump and potable available.

Then the other side of the coin is Kentucky. Coming back north with an only old map for navigation (long story), we planned to hold up a rest area we had used in the past. I didn't see it. I would have caulked it up to being tired, but I had a navigator for the next, and she saw the covered sign and the ramp that have been marked off and plowed in. We finally found a noisy parking lot (Cracker Barrel iirc). But that has put Kentuck on our states to be avoided list.

Matt
Matt & Mary Colie
A sailor, his bride and their black dogs (one dear dog is waiting for us at the bridge) going to see some dry places that have Geocaches in a coach made the year we married.

RoyB
Explorer II
Explorer II
I see State police areas inside the rest stops alot just about everywhere actually. They may not be permanently manned but appears to be a great spot for the officer on patrol to come in and have a spot to relax some and drink some coffee etc before going out on the road again...

I think the fact that there is a section for the State Police even to the point of marking his parking spot up would have a big impact on crime and other activities just knowing an officer may be there... I know I always feel abit better seeing a marked parking spot for the troopers...

I remember one of the Arkansas rest stops on I40 that had a whole bunch of wooded parking spots. I could back into that area when I was just using my truck and get a really good nights sleep haha... Its been awhile since I have done that - sorry to hear they are all closed down at night now along the I40 road...

I think this was at a 1 40 rest stop in Arkansas as I had nosed into the main parking area with my truck with just me in the truck and was sound asleep and finally stuck up my head to see the police lights going through my truck windows and the guy next to me was laying on the ground spread-out with an officer holding a gun on him and the others was going through his car pulling everything out on the ground. Then I looked over to the right of me and there was an officer standing at my window with a smile on his face so I rolled down the window. He asked "If I was ready to leave I might have to wait a few minutes" haha He said I was not in any danger so I just kept sitting there watching on-goings.... geesch... It was still dark early morning and that was a great way to wake up haha... I made another hundred miles just fine after they all left even towing off this guys car... Never heard what the deal was about - just glad it wasn't me...(True Story)

Roy Ken
My Posts are IMHO based on my experiences - Words in CAPS does not mean I am shouting
Roy - Carolyn
RETIRED DOAF/DON/DOD/CONTR RADIO TECH (42yrs)
K9PHT (Since 1957) 146.52M
2010 F150, 5.4,3:73 Gears,SCab
2008 Starcraft 14RT EU2000i GEN
2005 Flagstaff 8528RESS

lj2654
Explorer
Explorer
I am my own security at rest stops. Always be alert and beware of your surroundings if you get out of your vehicle, be it a truck, car, or Motorhome. Lots of times transients and not so nice people hang around these places. I do not feel too comfortable at night so I try to stay locked up and use my own facilities at night so I don't have to get out. I am not a night driver much anymore so not as worried as I once was.
2001 Beaver Contessa Naples 40
2012 Cadillac Srx
retired AirForce 1979-1992

3oaks
Explorer
Explorer
AmericalVette wrote:
That's great to know. I hope other states follow their lead. Many of the rest areas on I-40 through Arkansas are closed due to crime, and other (strange) activities.
Unfortunately, I believe we will see more of this very same situation before we will see more rest areas like Texas has.

Jim_Shoe
Explorer
Explorer
I'd love to say that I bought my 'C' for the security it provides. I don't have to get out, as the bathroom facilities are inside. But I'll call it a happy accident. I've pulled into a couple of rest stops over the years that "looked" scary, so I didn't get out to stretch my legs and do a walk around as I usually do.
Retired and visiting as much of this beautiful country as I can.

monkey44
Nomad II
Nomad II
Florida has had armed security in rest stops for years ... nights only.
Monkey44
Cape Cod Ma & Central Fla
Chevy 2500HD 4x4 DC-SB
2008 Lance 845
Back-country camping fanatic

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
Most States can't afford to keep rest areas open let alone man them with a Police Office

Good for TX but has to be costly
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

AmericalVette
Explorer
Explorer
That's great to know. I hope other states follow their lead. Many of the rest areas on I-40 through Arkansas are closed due to crime, and other (strange) activities.
Times fun when you're having flies!

GordonThree
Explorer
Explorer
Was it Minesota or South Dakota, the rest area just before you cross the Miss on I-90, the rest area had a State Police post built into it. Looked like the state used to be real friendly to truckers and RV'rs, as the rest area parking lot was huge and had 100s of truck/rv spots and a 2-lane dumper. Much of the lot and the dumper was all permanently blocked off by K-rail last time I was through, and signs everywhere warning people it was a serious crime to park overnight.
2013 KZ Sportsmen Classic 200, 20 ft TT
2020 RAM 1500, 5.7 4x4, 8 speed