cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

White Mountains, CA dispersed camping

SeeingStars
Explorer
Explorer
Hi, I'm looking for some tips on a campsite. In August we're embarking on an 18 day truck camping trek starting with the total solar eclipse in Oregon and finishing up in the eastern Sierra.

We'll have a couple of days left after hiking Mt Whitney and we're headed back to the White Mountains to spend some time in the Ancient Bristlecone Pine Forest and make a summit attempt on White Mountain Peak while we're there - so we'd like to find nearby camping to shorten the extremely early morning drive to the trailhead.

Has anyone here camped in the White Mountains area and has a recommendation on an area where we'll be likely to find a campsite? I know that Grandview Campground is on the mountain, but with it being Labor Day weekend, there's approximately a 200% chance that it will be full by the time we arrive. The surrounding area is a dispersed camping area in the Inyo National Forest and I'm hoping that someone in this group might be willing to point us in the direction of some likely camping area so that we're not blindly driving forest service roads in an attempt to find a spot.

Thanks in advance for any tips.....

Mike (& Bonnie)

10 REPLIES 10

mrw8i
Explorer
Explorer
BoonHauler wrote:
P3driver wrote:
I noticed you mentioned "hiking Mt. Whitney". Be aware of two things, first, you must have a permit issued by the NPS, and they do check there. Second, at this time the Mt. Whitney portal is closed due to the severe rock slide damage from this winter.

Respectfully, I was on Whitney Portal Rd two days ago and I didn't see any "Closed" signs ......:h

Yes, Whitney Portal is open. I was there 4 days ago.

BoonHauler
Explorer
Explorer
P3driver wrote:
I noticed you mentioned "hiking Mt. Whitney". Be aware of two things, first, you must have a permit issued by the NPS, and they do check there. Second, at this time the Mt. Whitney portal is closed due to the severe rock slide damage from this winter.

Respectfully, I was on Whitney Portal Rd two days ago and I didn't see any "Closed" signs ......:h
05 RAM 3500 CTD 4x4 Q/C Laramie DRW/NV5600/3.73, B&W Gooseneck, MaxBrake, PacBrake PRXB, Brite Box Fogster, BD steering Box Brace
2014 BoonHauler 3614

Tiger4x4RV
Nomad
Nomad
Climb high, sleep low. Of course, low is a problem in this area. Get too low, and you are on DWP land, no camping.

From the Inyo NF website today: "Dispersed camping is not allowed in the following areas: Horseshoe Meadow, Onion Valley, Big Pine Creek, Bishop Creek, Rock Creek, McGee Creek, Convict Lake, Mammoth Lakes, Reds Meadow Valley, June Lakes Loop, Lee Vining Canyon, Lundy Canyon, Ancient Bristlecone Pine Forest, and any research area."
https://www.fs.usda.gov/activity/inyo/recreation/camping-cabins/?recid=20228&actid=34

Best wishes for a safe and legal trip!
2006 Tiger CX 4x4, 8.1 L gas V-8, Allison 6-speed

SeeingStars
Explorer
Explorer
P3driver wrote:

Our trek up Whitney isn't until the end of August, so I'm hopeful that they have the rock fall cleared by then. If not, we'll have to make alternate plans to get up there. And we do already have a permit for our group to be on the mountain and a campsite at Whitney Portal for a couple of days too. We're pretty excited about getting up into the Sierra Nevada in a couple of different places on this trip.

Naio
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for mentioning this area! And dang it, I camped right at baker creek last year, had no idea what I was missing.
3/4 timing in a DIY van conversion. Backroads, mountains, boondocking, sometimes big cities for a change of pace.

profdant139
Explorer II
Explorer II
Camping at 12,000 feet?? I am not sure my water heater and fridge would work at that elevation -- not enough oxygen. I am not kidding -- at 10,000 feet, we have had some minor trouble with the water heater.
2012 Fun Finder X-139 "Boondock Style" (axle-flipped and extra insulation)
2013 Toyota Tacoma Off-Road (semi-beefy tires and components)
Our trips -- pix and text
About our trailer
"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single list."

P3driver
Explorer
Explorer
2017 F350, 6.7L.
Keystone Laredo 325RL

SeeingStars
Explorer
Explorer
path1 wrote:

Barcroft gate trailhead (12,000'): There is space to pitch a tent and a couple of fire rings. No reservations are needed for camping but a campfire permit is required and available from USFS office in Bishop. (Ref: cdickinson)

Thanks for that! No better way to shorten the length of time it takes to get to an early morning trailhead than to just....camp at the trailhead. Not sure why I didn't think to look for that.

Mike

path1
Explorer
Explorer
Got interested in your post and turned up this. Not sure if info is any good. Their research station sounds really interesting.

http://www.summitpost.org/white-mountain-peak/150221

Camping
Due to the high summit elevation, many people coming from Owens Valley like to spend a night sleeping at high enough elevation to properly acclimatize. While there are restrictions against camping (and stove use outside of vehicles) within the boundaries of the Ancient Bristlecone Pine Forest straddling White Mountain Road, camping is allowed outside of the this area with a campfire permit that is available from USFS field staff and ranger stations (see Mountain Conditions below for contact info). Some popular options for those using the South Face route include:

Barcroft gate trailhead (12,000'): There is space to pitch a tent and a couple of fire rings. No reservations are needed for camping but a campfire permit is required and available from USFS office in Bishop. (Ref: cdickinson)

Grandview Canyon campground (8,500'): No reservations

Fossil, Juniper, Pinon, and Poleta group campgrounds (7,200'): Reservations available via National Recreation Reservation Center, Online, Phone: (877) 444-6777.
2003 Majestic 23P... Northwest travel machine
2013 Arctic Fox 25W... Wife "doll house" for longer snowbird trips
2001 "The Mighty Dodge"... tow vehicle for "doll house"

profdant139
Explorer II
Explorer II
I've "flown" with Google Earth over the area around Grandview, and I have spotted several likely-looking sites that appear to have been used for boondocking. Just follow the road up toward the Bristlecones, and you might see some of those sites. It takes a lot of patience, a good Internet connection, and a good monitor to spot those campsites.

Happy flying! ๐Ÿ˜‰
2012 Fun Finder X-139 "Boondock Style" (axle-flipped and extra insulation)
2013 Toyota Tacoma Off-Road (semi-beefy tires and components)
Our trips -- pix and text
About our trailer
"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single list."