cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Wintering on the south coast

Tom_Barb
Explorer
Explorer
Any one use a facility on the Gulf coast rather than Az. Nm. Ca. ?

Why?
2000 Newmar mountain aire 4081 DP, ISC/350 Allison 6 speed, Wrangler JL toad.
7 REPLIES 7

doxiemom11
Explorer II
Explorer II
This is our 2nd winter on the MS gulfcoast. It depends on the year. Last winter (0ur 1st) was very cold with an ice storm. Everyone said it was so unusual, so we came back to try it again. So far this winter has been much much better. We get nice sunny weather, then it rains, then cold front for a few days, then sunny and warm again - seems to be a cycle. Better than anyplace else we have been to yet, but we want to try them all. We do love this area though.

tatest
Explorer II
Explorer II
I did while my daughter was on Mississippi Gulf Coast, may do it again when her husband retires and they move back.

Why? It is closer to my summer locations in the Great Lakes, I don't need winter to be warm, just not cold, and I prefer the culture. I've been 30 years in a small town on the Southern Plains, where culture is very much like The South, particularly in rural areas.

If you are from an urban or metro suburban culture, any major metro area not in the south, you might not like or understand how people behave. So that could be a reason not to go to the Gulf Coast (except Florida where most everybody is from The North anyway).
Tom Test
Itasca Spirit 29B

C-Bears
Explorer
Explorer
For January, Feb, and March, you are almost guaranteed high 70's to low 80's much of the time south of Sarasota, Florida. Arizona, New Mexico, Texas can't generally match those winter temps.

South Padre Island was a great place and cheaper than SW Florida, but we found ourselves in long britches and sweatshirts too many days.
2014 Montana 3725RL (Goodyear G614 Tires, Flow Thru TPMS)

SPENDING THE WINTERS AT OUR HOME IN SW FLORIDA. THE REST OF THE YEAR SEEING THE U.S. FROM OUR LIVING ROOM WINDOW!

sdianel_-acct_c
Explorer
Explorer
Florida in winter may be more expensive than Arizona unless you're in the center of the state. Also to get really warm weather south of Tampa and Orlando is preferred. Having said that, many people winter in Florida's Gulf Coast in the panhandle on down to Tampa. Ocala is very popular. I like Williston Crossings in Williston FL. Small town but 15 min. drive into Ocala. There are bargains around Arcadia.
Lonny & Diane
2004 Country Coach Allure 33' "Big Blue"
Towing 2008 Chev Colorado 4x4
Semper Fi

pawatt
Explorer
Explorer
Rockport Texas area and South Parde Island Texas, Port Isabel, Port Aransas all in Texas. Friendly people, Many RV Parks, low cost, great seafood and produce. COLD this week but no frost.
pawatt

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
We used to go to Gulf State Park at Gulf Shores, Alabama. It's a great place but it can be cool/cold in the winter. There's lots to do in the immediate area and it's close to Pensacola, Florida for some activities and you can take the short ferry ride over to the Mobile, Alabama area. Gulf Shores has nice restaurants, biking, water sports, shopping, etc.

Then we discovered southern Arizona......
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
Posts with gulf in them in Snowbirds
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman