cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Yellowstone/Tetons Big Site Campgrounds

wildbyon
Explorer
Explorer
We're planning a Yellowstone/Teton trip for 2020. I will be towing a 38' 5th wheel w/ long bed dully and traveling buds have a 43' class A motorhome. We get confusing info as to which campgrounds will accommodate our rigs. Which YS/T campgrounds will handle our size rigs? Which commercial campgrounds would you recommend if we have to stay outside the parks?
'01 Ford F350-7.3l PS Diesel, Lariet, Crew Cab, 4x4, Dully,
BTS transmission, Air bag suspension, exhaust brake, post gauges,
performance chip, 4" exhaust, remote start
'11 5th Wheel 38'Forest River Cardinal
'15 RZR 900 50" Trail, S x S
23 REPLIES 23

kedanie
Explorer II
Explorer II
The only RV park inside Yellowstone with hookups is Fishing Bridge and it is closed for the 2019 season for a rebuild.

There are many RV parks in West Yellowstone and Grizzly is probably the best. The consequences of staying outside the park is the drive in and out every day and the animal jams that are quite routine.

There are also many campgrounds within Yellowstone if you donโ€™t mid dry camping. Many of those can be reserved in advance and will list what the size limitations are.

Kind of depends what your camping style is and your tolerance is for camping.

Enjoy Yellowstone.
Keith
Keith and Gloria
2013 Tiffin Phaeton 36GH
2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland
USAF 1968-1976 Vietnam Veteran

GeoBoy
Explorer
Explorer
wildbyon wrote:
Thanks for all the Teton info. How about Yellowstone?

Grizzly RV Park in the Town of West Yellowstone.

wildbyon
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for all the Teton info. How about Yellowstone?
'01 Ford F350-7.3l PS Diesel, Lariet, Crew Cab, 4x4, Dully,
BTS transmission, Air bag suspension, exhaust brake, post gauges,
performance chip, 4" exhaust, remote start
'11 5th Wheel 38'Forest River Cardinal
'15 RZR 900 50" Trail, S x S

TenOC
Nomad
Nomad
GV at Tetons should take any size RV. Big rig friendly.
Please give me enough troubles, uncertainty, problems, obstacles and STRESS so that I do not become arrogant, proud, and smug in my own abilities, and enough blessings and good times that I realize that someone else is in charge of my life.

Travel Photos

GeoBoy
Explorer
Explorer
We were at Headwaters in 2014 and that place is a joke. No wireless, no AT&T cell coverage, the place was dirty and the staff was inexperienced. Use Coulter Bay campground for the Tetons.

BarabooBob
Explorer III
Explorer III
In Teton NP there is also Gros Ventre Campground near the town of Moose WY. There are no hookups. From the Teton NP website:
"Colter Bay RV Park and Headwaters Campground and RV sites at Flagg Ranch have full hook-ups, showers and laundry. Colter Bay has 112 sites. Headwaters has 100 trailer and 75 tent sites. Advance reservations are advised."
Bob & Dawn Married 34 years
2017 Viking 17RD
2011 Ford F150 3.5L Ecoboost 420 lb/ft
Retired

GeoBoy
Explorer
Explorer
For the Tetons use Coulter Bay, for Yellowstone use Grizzly RV Park. You will not be disappointed.

RGar974417
Explorer
Explorer
This should give you some of the information you are seeking.https://www.yellowstonepark.com/where-to-stay-camp-eat/rv-tips

padredw
Nomad
Nomad
I will only speak for the Grand Tetons. There are two campgrounds in the National Park. One is full hookup. I believe it is called "Colter Bay RV Park" the other is no hook up, but good campsites, called "Colter Bay Campground." Either will accommodate your rig. But if you want to go in 2020 you should decide early and make reservations if you wish to stay in the full hookup area. We have stayed there twice and consider it a favorite.

We have never stayed in Yellowstone, but we have stayed a couple of time in Island Park, Idaho. We never found the drive into Yellowstone (about 20 miles) a problem, but that's a personal preference. We have stayed at Red Rock RV Park which is a commercial campground. You would have no trouble fitting in. We have also stayed at Henry's Lake State Park. Again, your rig would fit just fine in the sites where we have stayed.