Rubiranch
Explorer
Explorer
Camp Host, from the other side.
953 REPLIES 953

ReneeG
Explorer
Explorer
Beautiful. We love the Pioneer Mountains.
2011 Bighorn 3055RL, 2011 F350 DRW 6.7L 4x4 Diesel Lariat and Hensley TrailerSaver BD3, 1992 Jeep ZJ and 1978 Coleman Concord Pop-Up for remote camping
Dave & Renee plus (Champ, Molly, Paris, Missy, and Maggie in spirit), Mica, Mabel, and Melton

TUCQUALA
Explorer
Explorer
Pioneer Mountains, Montana near Lacy Creek. Woods were full of locals, and empty rigs!!!

'16 Outdoors Timber Ridge 280RKS
Reese 1700# Trunnion w/ DualCam HP
'03 EXCURSION XLT V10 4.30 Axles

ReneeG
Explorer
Explorer
ReneeG wrote:
Sawtooth63 wrote:
Here's a weekend we spent out near Picketwire in SE Colorado.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/CKqg6HTxcygqW196A

I can't see the photos. It takes me to the site, but it's blank.

Never mind. I tried it again and now I see it.
2011 Bighorn 3055RL, 2011 F350 DRW 6.7L 4x4 Diesel Lariat and Hensley TrailerSaver BD3, 1992 Jeep ZJ and 1978 Coleman Concord Pop-Up for remote camping
Dave & Renee plus (Champ, Molly, Paris, Missy, and Maggie in spirit), Mica, Mabel, and Melton

ReneeG
Explorer
Explorer
Sawtooth63 wrote:

https://photos.app.goo.gl/CKqg6HTxcygqW196A

I can't see the photos. It takes me to the site, but it's blank.

Sawtooth63
Explorer
Explorer

2007 Toyota Tacoma
2017 Starcraft AR-One Extreme 18QB
Good Sam RV Club Member

ReneeG
Explorer
Explorer
profdant139 wrote:
Thanks, Renee! We feel very lucky to still be physically able to camp in remote places -- it is a lot of effort, and (as we age) it becomes more and more challenging. We know it won't last forever, so we are doing as much of it as we can for now.

Plus we feel very lucky to live in a country that still allows boondocking in semi-wilderness areas. We never take that privilege for granted.

I know how you feel. We too are edging closer to retirement, but not only do we have our FW, but a popup we tow with our Jeep to remote sites where the FW can't go. We're enjoying as much as we can while we can.

memtb
Explorer
Explorer
As always....great locations and photos! ๐Ÿ™‚
Todd & Marianne
Miniature Schnauzer's - Sundai, Nellie & Maggie Mae
2007 Dodge Ram 3500, 6.7 Cummins, 6 speed manual, 3.73 ratio, 4x4
2004 Teton Grand Freedom, 39'
2007 Bigfoot 30MH26Sl

profdant139
Explorer II
Explorer II
Thanks, Renee! We feel very lucky to still be physically able to camp in remote places -- it is a lot of effort, and (as we age) it becomes more and more challenging. We know it won't last forever, so we are doing as much of it as we can for now.

Plus we feel very lucky to live in a country that still allows boondocking in semi-wilderness areas. We never take that privilege for granted.
2012 Fun Finder X-139 "Boondock Style" (axle-flipped and extra insulation)
2013 Toyota Tacoma Off-Road (semi-beefy tires and components)
Our trips -- pix and text
About our trailer
"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single list."

ReneeG
Explorer
Explorer
Profidant139 - you always post great pics and I love your sense of adventure and great spots!

profdant139
Explorer II
Explorer II
Mid-November, 2018, at around 7500 feet, near Tioga Pass. There was no one camped near us for several miles around โ€“ the campgrounds were all closed, the forest access roads were very rough, and the night-time temps were in the teens. Tioga Road was closed due to snow two days after we left this campsite:

Click For Full-Size Image.

This is a shot from the middle distance โ€“ the trailer is on the left. We had this entire valley to ourselves โ€“ several days of utter silence, which is one of the main reasons that we boondock:

And this shot was taken from a quarter mile away โ€“ the trailer is in the lower left corner. That is Parker Peak (I think) in the background. There was a little haze in the air from the terrible Camp fire that wiped out the town of Paradise, about 200 miles to the north:

About our trailer

JKJavelin
Explorer III
Explorer III
ivbinconned wrote:

Totally awesome location.
Curious.... How did you manage to turn your rig around up there?
2018 Ram 3500 Laramie Cummins 6.7
2016 Open Range RF316RLS
Titan Disc Brakes
Trailair pinbox
Morryde AllTrek 4000 w/ wetbolt kit
Demco Autoslide
570 watts of Solar

2017-2022 555 Nights
2023- 106 Nights

ivbinconned
Explorer II
Explorer II
Ram and 34 ft Cedar Creek

ivbinconned
Explorer II
Explorer II

Borrego
Ram and 34 ft Cedar Creek

profdant139
Explorer II
Explorer II
All of these shots were taken in September of 2018.

This was in the Bridger National Forest, east of the Tetons โ€“ you can see the tops of the Tetons over the trees:

This was north of Crested Butte, Colorado, in the Washington Gulch area:

This was near Silverton, Colorado, in the South Mineral Creek area:

About our trailer

nightshift
Explorer
Explorer