Explorer
Explorer
Camp Host, from the other side.
953 REPLIES 953

Rubiranch
Explorer
Explorer
WOW! I started this thread 8 years ago.

Sold the "vintage" '72 Ford and the '69 Excel TT several years ago and haven't been camping since. ๐Ÿ˜ž

Bought another PU a few years ago and just added this camper so the boondocking is back in the schedule.

Not really boondocking here. Just trying out the camper here in the canyon that I live in.
Camp Host, from the other side.

ReneeG
Explorer
Explorer
The Sawtooth National Recreation area is perfect for boondocking and is our favorite place since it's close to home.
2011 Bighorn 3055RL, 2011 F350 DRW 6.7L 4x4 Diesel Lariat and Hensley TrailerSaver BD3, 1992 Jeep ZJ and 1978 Coleman Concord Pop-Up for remote camping
Dave & Renee plus (Champ, Molly, Paris, Missy, and Maggie in spirit), Mica, Mabel, and Melton

tragusa3
Explorer
Explorer
Sounds like another incredible trip!
New to us 2011 Tiffin Allegro Open Road 34TGA
Join us on the road at Rolling Ragu on YouTube!

profdant139
Explorer II
Explorer II
We got back from a month of boondocking and dry camping in early October -- it has taken me weeks to go through the photos and to write blog entries (which are still not done). But here are our favorite boondocking sites from this last trip.

September 2016, Wasatch National Forest, in the Uintas of Utah:

Click For Full-Size Image.

There was a lot of boondocking off of Highway 150 in Utah. We chose this particular site because it had the best views, but it was the rockiest site we have ever seen -- it took us a long time to maneuver around the rocks and get parked. If you don't have a high clearance RV, this is not a great area.

September 2016, Sawtooth National Recreation Area, south of Galena Summit, Idaho:

This was in the Boulder Creek area, north of Ketchum, off Highway 75. There were plenty of boondocking sites all over the place. In this shot, you can see a storm coming in over the mountains above us.

September 2016, Sawtooth National Recreation Area, north of Galena Summit, Idaho:

Without a doubt, this is the best area for boondocking we have ever seen. This is near where Fourth of July Creek crosses Highway 75, about an hour north of the Boulder Creek area. Everywhere we went in the Stanley/Sawtooth/Salmon River area, there were plenty of excellent boondocking sites. Water is scarce -- there is a good source near the town of Smiley, and a dump station.

September 27, Inyo National Forest, north of Mammoth:

This was off the Mammoth Scenic Loop, near the road to the Inyo Craters. Plenty of boondocking, but the roads are kind of rough. Also, on weekends, there is a lot of ATV activity. (We were there during the week.)

To summarize the whole trip, my wife is already asking "when can we go again?"
2012 Fun Finder X-139 "Boondock Style" (axle-flipped and extra insulation)
2013 Toyota Tacoma Off-Road (semi-beefy tires and components)
Our trips -- pix and text
About our trailer
"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single list."

bukhrn
Explorer III
Explorer III
"Secret" spot in the WA Cascades!!

Secret, but you could tell me, I won't tell anyone else, I promise. ๐Ÿ˜‰
2007 Forester 2941DS
2014 Ford Focus
Zamboni, Long Haired Mini Dachshund

steveh27
Explorer
Explorer
Sweet spot!

TUCQUALA
Explorer
Explorer
"Secret" spot in the WA Cascades!!

'16 Outdoors Timber Ridge 280RKS
Reese 1700# Trunnion w/ DualCam HP
'03 EXCURSION XLT V10 4.30 Axles

profdant139
Explorer II
Explorer II
I just noticed something funny about my Eldorado shot, just above -- check out the window on the right side of the photo. There was a great breeze coming across the campsite, so I used a random stick to prop the window open at a 90 degree angle, to maximize the airflow through the trailer. Yes, it is a redneck solution - but otherwise, the top-hinged window only opens a few inches and deflects a lot of the breeze.

After we got home, I made a somewhat less random version of the same thing -- a dowel with rubber tips -- that we can use the next time we are camped in a warm but breezy site.
About our trailer

profdant139
Explorer II
Explorer II
BoonHauler, it took me a minute to figure out what you meant, but I see it now! Yes, it was tricky to place that huge log on our lounge chair, but that is how I get my exercise. ๐Ÿ˜‰
About our trailer

BoonHauler
Explorer
Explorer
That's one strong lounge chair isn't it! .... ๐Ÿ˜‰
05 RAM 3500 CTD 4x4 Q/C Laramie DRW/NV5600/3.73, B&W Gooseneck, MaxBrake, PacBrake PRXB, Brite Box Fogster, BD steering Box Brace
2014 BoonHauler 3614

profdant139
Explorer II
Explorer II
June, 2016, Eldorado National Forest, near Wright's Lake (Echo Summit area):

June, 2016, Toiyabe National Forest, near Red Lake (Carson Pass area):

About our trailer

ReneeG
Explorer
Explorer
steveh27 wrote:
When did insp1505 make the original post & on what forum? I could not find it on boondocking.

Oh! Good question. I searched and couldn't find the original post with pics.
2011 Bighorn 3055RL, 2011 F350 DRW 6.7L 4x4 Diesel Lariat and Hensley TrailerSaver BD3, 1992 Jeep ZJ and 1978 Coleman Concord Pop-Up for remote camping
Dave & Renee plus (Champ, Molly, Paris, Missy, and Maggie in spirit), Mica, Mabel, and Melton

steveh27
Explorer
Explorer
When did insp1505 make the original post & on what forum? I could not find it on boondocking.

ReneeG
Explorer
Explorer
I agree tdst51. We've been there several times, but the last was in 2009 and have just had the time to go back.

tdsxt51
Explorer
Explorer
insp1505 wrote:
This is my favorite place to boondock. Not too far from home and because the road is very rough there isn't many other RV's. I've never seen a towed RV or motorhome (I'm not sayin someone wouldn't be crazy enough to tow or drive one in there, I've just never seen it yet) only TC's but mostly tents.

This last week my two kids and I had the lake all to ourselves, probably because the weather wasn't the best until Monday when we had to go home. The reservior is at 7600' elevation so we got snow on Thursday afternoon and overnight temps in the mid to high 20's, daytime highs were high 40's to low 50's until Monday when it got into the low 60's.

Even though the weather wasn't the best we still had a blast and the fishing was great!! We tried, but didn't see any elk this trip like we normally do, just deer and antelope. The Arctic Fox did a wonderful job of keeping us warm for 5 days and 4 nights.

So tell me- can I make it up there with my 32' fifth wheel?!? Thanks; looks like an awesome spot!
2014 RAM 2500 CTD 6.7 CCLB Auto
2015 Forest River Rockwood Signature Series Ultra Lite 8289WS w/ Diamond Pkg.