cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Ripped off in the valley

rockinriggin
Explorer
Explorer

I paid for my Good Sam Roadside Assistance and less than a week later I totaled my car. I told them on the phone that my brother is a certified mechanic and he does all of my repairs. Well he did until he died unexpectedly two months ago. RIP. They didn't say anything about that being an issue when I was paying for my service, but when I called them that day they informed me that they don't tow cars to someone's home. I couldn't get a hold of  my Brother and didn't know what to do, also I had to go to the hospital. So I told them to come tow it to Pep boys, where I know some people. I could get it towed from there after I was cleared medically. The police officer said that I could go to the hospital with the ambulance driver and they would wait for the car to be towed. 0i wรก admitted to the hospital and over an hour later I heard from the police officer. The tow truck never came and they never called me. The officer ended up calling another tow truck and they towed it to a lot as if it were impounded. It took me four days to find it and long story short, I had to pay $500 to the DMV because they said that I abandoned my car! I had to pay this in full before I could register my new car. Since I had just paid for the membership less than a week before the accident I asked good Sam for a prorated refund. They apparently thought this was hilarious because they laughed and laughed. So they not only lied by omission when I purchased the membership and took my money for a service that they don't provide.....EVER.... they wouldn't refund the cost of the worthless (to me) membership that I was tricked into purchasing. I would never have bought that type of membership because I couldn't use it. IF YOU DO YOUR OWN MECHANIC WORK OR HAVE A FRIEND WHO DOES, THIS IS NOT THE PLAN FOR YOU!! I feel like I was scammed. I complained to whoever would listen at their offices, but I never got any satisfaction and as a matter of fact, I never even got a single return call. I called them at least a dozen times. Bad business!! Beware

2 REPLIES 2

StirCrazy
Navigator
Navigator

I am not sure how it works down there but up here at an accident sceen and other police issues, you don't have the right to call for a tow, the cops have contracts with tow companies and they are the only onse who can have a vehicle towed from the sceen.  

2014 F350 6.7 Platinum
2016 Cougar 330RBK
1991 Slumberqueen WS100

QCMan
Nomad III
Nomad III

Ok so you totaled your car and a bunch of other people, the police, the DMV and the tow company made mistakes. It is wonderful that you didn't need their services for a whole week but then you did and you asked them to do something that is against their policy and got upset by it. There are liability reasons why they will not tow to a private address other than yours. Maybe a calm talk with a different rep can result in an outcome you are happy with.

2020 Keystone Cougar 22RBS, Ram 1500, two Jacks and plenty of time to roam!
The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits. A.E.
Good Sam Life Member