cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

'98 Ford F-150 seeking helper springs as in pic

stooges
Explorer
Explorer
Greetings. New here. Prob going to make some posting mistakes. Have above subject. Can anyone provide a viable source for helper springs as shown on the picture link below should the second address be non-viable?

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v77/bentoy/03140001.jpg

Picture copied from this website/address:

http://www.chegg.com/homework-help/questions-and-answers/truck-suspensions-helper-springs-engage-high-loads-arrangement-leaf-spring-helper-coil-spr-q2636857

If you folks believe this is in the wrong category, please feel free to provide the correct on, and the method to move it. Thank you.
10 REPLIES 10

Gdetrailer
Explorer III
Explorer III
stooges wrote:
Greetings..I expected about a week for a help reply. I am impressed. This isn't for towing, just to increase load capacity when loaded with wood for a wood-burning furnace, and keep the remaining suspension "as-is" (not to really stiffen things up. This does look like a viable option from Advance auto Parts, so, when I return from sunny Fl. to the tundra of the Northeast, I will definitely check this out. BTW.."Timbrens" ? I am not sure how to thank all the responders for the time, so let me no state, that I am appreciative to all you responders for the hand-up !

Forget about the bandaids, ditch the 150 and get 3/4 or even 1 ton for this job.

You are simply way overloaded and no matter how much additional suspension upgrades you slap on it will never fix the other short comings.

Keep in mind a full cord (4' x 4' x8') of GREEN wood will easily weigh in at 3500-4000 lbs which is most likely twice if not three times your vehicles cargo capacity.

If another truck is not in the cards then buy a UTILITY TRAILER with dual axles AND at least 7K of capacity. Utility trailers are cheap and plentiful and would serve your purpose in a much safer manor for your life and other motorists.

I can't tell you how many times I have seen folks hauling severely overloaded with fire wood wondering how in the world they plan to stop in an emergency..

BarneyS
Explorer III
Explorer III
Timbrens 🙂
Barney
2004 Sunnybrook Titan 30FKS TT
Hensley "Arrow" 1400# hitch (Sold)
Not towing now.
Former tow vehicles were 2016 Ram 2500 CTD, 2002 Ford F250, 7.3 PSD, 1997 Ram 2500 5.9 gas engine

stooges
Explorer
Explorer
Greetings..I expected about a week for a help reply. I am impressed. This isn't for towing, just to increase load capacity when loaded with wood for a wood-burning furnace, and keep the remaining suspension "as-is" (not to really stiffen things up. This does look like a viable option from Advance auto Parts, so, when I return from sunny Fl. to the tundra of the Northeast, I will definitely check this out. BTW.."Timbrens" ? I am not sure how to thank all the responders for the time, so let me no state, that I am appreciative to all you responders for the hand-up !

frankwp
Explorer
Explorer
What Skip said.
2010 Cruiser CF30QB
2003 GM 2500HD, crew cab, SB, 8.1, Allison

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
Get a good (not cheap!) WDH first and see how it does. FWIW, if you buy a cheap hitch then you'll be buying again - a lesson I learned the hard way.

tvman44
Explorer
Explorer
They will stiffen your ride even when not towing. 😞 Get a good WD system and mayber air bags. 🙂
Papa Bob
1* 2008 Brookside by Sunnybrook 32'
1* 2002 F250 Super Duty 7.3L PSD
Husky 16K hitch, Tekonsha P3,
Firestone Ride Rite Air Springs, Trailair Equa-Flex, Champion C46540
"A bad day camping is better than a good day at work!"

skipnchar
Explorer
Explorer
If you're towing a travel trailer your MUCH better off adding a good weight distrubuting system rather than stronger springs. Using helpers will certainly prop up the rear of your truck but will do NOTHING to replace the weight LOST from the front axle and THAT is where your good handling will come from. Helpers are a great thing for towing 5th wheels or moving slide in campers but really not so good for travel trailers.
2011 F-150 HD Ecoboost 3.5 V6. 2550 payload, 17,100 GCVWR -
2004 F-150 HD (Traded after 80,000 towing miles)
2007 Rockwood 8314SS 34' travel trailer

US Govt survey shows three out of four people make up 75% of the total population

pinesman
Explorer
Explorer

newman_fulltime
Explorer
Explorer
Just get a set of timbrens and you will be ok

Corkey05
Explorer
Explorer
Clicky - 1

Clicky - 2