cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Adding a Fan Speed Control to my Range Hood

Blacklane
Explorer
Explorer
I have a Hengs range hood in my RV. The fan is effective, but sometimes too noisy and powerful, particularly when just venting a little heat and steam from a coffee pot early in the morning. I decided to add a Pulse Width Modulator (PWM) fan control to it. I picked it up from Amazon and it came with a remote control knob.

The advantage of a PWM controller is that it is much more efficient at reducing power than a resistor pack, since resistors simply turn excess current into heat.

Thankfully, Heng provided a generous wire channel between the front panel and the fan. There is plenty of room for a PWM controller in there.

PWM controller mounted in wire channel. This particular model mounts with 3mm screws; not provided.

I mounted the control knob on the front panel. I had to keep it close to the existing fan switch so it would not interfere with re-installing the wire channel.

Now, I can choose a low, quiet setting for morning coffee and a full-force setting for cooking bacon.
21 REPLIES 21

Blacklane
Explorer
Explorer
Here you are.

scotty1946
Explorer
Explorer
Can you post a drawing or other schematic to show wiring, Im not much of an electrician. The picture is not clear from the angle taken.

LarryJM
Explorer II
Explorer II
BurbMan wrote:
I added a 10W resistor and a 2-position switch to the range hood fan about 5 years ago, now I have 2 speeds, too fast/loud and too slow.

Now that these PWM units are fairly inexpensive, I just ordered the same one that the OP pictured in his post. I also ordered this fan, a 120mm pancake fan rated to move 156 CFM.

Hoping that this fan motor will be quieter at all speeds.

That looks like a killer combo and I bet you will really like it. Good work matching/finding the components.

Larry
2001 standard box 7.3L E-350 PSD Van with 4.10 rear and 2007 Holiday Rambler Aluma-Lite 8306S Been RV'ing since 1974.
RAINKAP INSTALL////ETERNABOND INSTALL

LarryJM
Explorer II
Explorer II
Danhannah wrote:
The thing I would REALLY like to slow down and quiet down is the furnace fan - would this device do that? Or are those fans too big?

For the safety reasons already mentioned, I would HIGHLY advise not messing with or modifying your furnace fan.

Larry
2001 standard box 7.3L E-350 PSD Van with 4.10 rear and 2007 Holiday Rambler Aluma-Lite 8306S Been RV'ing since 1974.
RAINKAP INSTALL////ETERNABOND INSTALL

BurbMan
Explorer II
Explorer II
The furnace has a sail switch in the fans air flow, insufficient air flow will not trigger the sail switch and shut the burner down.

Blacklane
Explorer
Explorer
Not to hijack this thread, but a better way to reduce furnace fan noise is to reduce the size of the return-air grill. Check the owner's manual for your model, but most have a minimum return air duct size of about 85 square inches, or about 9x9.5 inches. Most furnace grills are more like 12x15 inches. You can put sound-deadening fiberglass insulation inside the grill, leaving the required 85 square-inch opening. You can even paint the insulation black before installing it, so it's not noticeable.

Slowing down the furnace fan can be a bad idea, since the furnace itself needs to be cooled by the air flow. Reducing the flow creates a fire hazard.

KJINTF
Explorer
Explorer
Typical RV furnace fans draw 6 or 7 amps from 12Vdc power sometimes a bit more
Yes reducing the speed of the motor will reduce the noise
Might not be a good idea - the furnace gets hot and is designed for a specific cfm of air flow - the motor does double duty one circulating inside air and two exhausting the combustion air - BE Careful

Danhannah
Explorer
Explorer
The thing I would REALLY like to slow down and quiet down is the furnace fan - would this device do that? Or are those fans too big?

tvman44
Explorer
Explorer
The one I got is rated at 10 amps.
Papa Bob
1* 2008 Brookside by Sunnybrook 32'
1* 2002 F250 Super Duty 7.3L PSD
Husky 16K hitch, Tekonsha P3,
Firestone Ride Rite Air Springs, Trailair Equa-Flex, Champion C46540
"A bad day camping is better than a good day at work!"

Explorer II
Explorer II
All I could afford wrote:
Can any of you tell me what the rated maximum watts or amps is on the PWM. Are year ago I made my own whole house fan in my trailer using a 12 V electric radiator fan that fits perfectly in the one window frame. While the fan is strong enough to blow a newspaper off the countertop on the other side of the camper it is too much for 90% of the time I want to use it. I measured a six amp load on start up and about 4 A running so about 50 W constant .
That's another good idea.

The PWM controller mentioned above is 10A rated so you are good to go.

I'm going to order 3
2011 Ford F-150 EcoBoost SuperCab Max Tow, 2084# Payload, 11,300# Tow,
Timbrens
2013 KZ Durango 2857

All_I_could_aff
Explorer
Explorer
Can any of you tell me what the rated maximum watts or amps is on the PWM. Are year ago I made my own whole house fan in my trailer using a 12 V electric radiator fan that fits perfectly in the one window frame. While the fan is strong enough to blow a newspaper off the countertop on the other side of the camper it is too much for 90% of the time I want to use it. I measured a six amp load on start up and about 4 A running so about 50 W constant .
1999 R-Vision Trail Light B17 hybrid
2006 Explorer Eddie Bauer
2002 Xterra rollinโ€™ on 33โ€™s
1993 Chevy Z24 Convertible
Lives in garage 71,000 miles

tvman44
Explorer
Explorer
I just installed the PWM module on our vent hood and DW loves it as much as I do, we can slow the fan down so it is not so noisy. While I was at it I mounted 3 of the 48 LED panels under the trough and also replaced the funky bulb in the fixture with a 48 LED panel, all 4 panels are the bright white. The DW loves the increase in light. I made all kind of brownie points today. ๐Ÿ™‚ I got the PWM from e_bay for less than $5.00 with free shipping, and the 48 LED panels for a $1.50 each & free shipping, so for $11.00 I did this mod. ๐Ÿ™‚
Papa Bob
1* 2008 Brookside by Sunnybrook 32'
1* 2002 F250 Super Duty 7.3L PSD
Husky 16K hitch, Tekonsha P3,
Firestone Ride Rite Air Springs, Trailair Equa-Flex, Champion C46540
"A bad day camping is better than a good day at work!"

RV_daytrader
Explorer
Explorer
Son of Norway wrote:
I also installed a PWM on the vent fan in my bathroom. They are marvelous little gadgets with many applications.

Miles

same here...I had installed a single speed vortex fan in bathroom...WAY more than needed to vent fumes!....with PWM switch you can slow it to almost nothing, or run fast to cool RV.
YODA...our lil Toyota!
1989 Toyota Seabreeze

BurbMan
Explorer II
Explorer II
I added a 10W resistor and a 2-position switch to the range hood fan about 5 years ago, now I have 2 speeds, too fast/loud and too slow.

Now that these PWM units are fairly inexpensive, I just ordered the same one that the OP pictured in his post. I also ordered this fan, a 120mm pancake fan rated to move 156 CFM.

Hoping that this fan motor will be quieter at all speeds.