cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Awning Sun Protection

SpeakEasy
Explorer
Explorer
I'm thinking that the weak link in awnings is the top foot or so of "fabric." As the awning winds up, it turns out that the bottom side of that last foot or so ends up being the part that takes the brunt of sun damage. I've looked at awning protectors at RV parts stores, but they haven't impressed me.

I'm thinking that if I could attach about a foot of sunbrella to the bottom side of the awning, then when it rolls up, the sunbrella layer would be a covering over the rolled-up awning. I think I could attach it with strips of velcro.

Has anyone ever done something like this or even heard of anyone doing so?

Do you think it would work?

Thanks,
-Speak
It's just Mrs. SpeakEasy and me now (empty-nesters). But we can choose from among 7 grandchildren to drag along with us!

2014 F-150 Super Crew Short Bed 3.5L Ecoboost
2014 Flagstaff Micro Lite 23LB
8 REPLIES 8

93Cobra2771
Explorer
Explorer
BillyW wrote:
I had a fair amount of aging Eternabond 4" wide tape that needed to be used up. I ran two strips across the awning's top section that's always exposed. It's been two or three years now and it's held up better than I could have dreamed. My awning was beginning to fall apart up there, but appears to be holding its own now. I expected the rolling, unrolling and flexing to make short work of the tape. I'm pleasantly surprised.

That's supposed to be be one of the good things about EB, flexibility and ability to reseal itself. Darn good idea to put it up there, as it will easily outlast the awning material.
Richard White
2011 F150 Ecoboost SCREW 145" 4x4
Firestone Ride-Rite Air Springs/Air Lift Wireless Controller
2006 Sportsmen by KZ 2604P (30')
Hensley Arrow

austex
Explorer
Explorer
OP SpeakEasy,

It sounds from your description that your awning rolls up "backwards" from normal when you say you want to put the Sunbrella fabric on the bottom. Most awnings roll so that the top-side is exposed when stowed, not the underside.
Tom & Jessie
Central Texas
MVPRV(RIP) Coast 26LRBS TT

TurnThePage
Explorer
Explorer
I had a fair amount of aging Eternabond 4" wide tape that needed to be used up. I ran two strips across the awning's top section that's always exposed. It's been two or three years now and it's held up better than I could have dreamed. My awning was beginning to fall apart up there, but appears to be holding its own now. I expected the rolling, unrolling and flexing to make short work of the tape. I'm pleasantly surprised.
2015 Ram 1500
2022 Grand Design Imagine XLS 22RBE

Verne
Explorer
Explorer
gbopp,

I just made on for our trailer this last weekend. One of the simplist and cheapest things I've ever done. What I like about the idea is that it also keeps moisture/rain, etc. from getting into the rolled awning as it directs any water directly into the gutter on the RV. One of the best $14.00 I've spent yet.
-Verne, Brenda and
Lattรฉ, a Welsh Corgi
Carson City, Nevada
2010 Tundra 5.7L
2010 Jayco JayflightG-2 23FB
eu2000i Honda generator and Companion
Equalizer WD System

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
Here's one option for a DIY Awning Protector.

Not_a_Clue
Explorer
Explorer
downtheroad wrote:
It's a good idea IF you can reto-fit your existing awning. Beside sun protection, it protects the rolled up awning from scraps/tares/abrasion from closes by over hanging foliage.

Ours came already with a metal wrap protector....similar to this:

When I replaced my awning due to sun damage, I replaced with one that had this build into it. Helps alot!
Linda B.
Our Blog
2009 29' Fleetwood, Fiesta V10 - The Little Bus
2008 Saturn Vue (Toad)with US Gear UBS
& Demco baseplate and tow bar.
FMCA# F412985
Traveling with Robin(friend)& Buddee(cavalier)

profdant139
Explorer II
Explorer II
I use a long piece of vinyl rain gutter --it fits over the rolled up awning. I tie it onto the awning roll with a short cord -- have to climb up on a stepladder to do that. It works great, I think.

Be sure to remove the gutter before you hit the road. I learned that the hard way.
2012 Fun Finder X-139 "Boondock Style" (axle-flipped and extra insulation)
2013 Toyota Tacoma Off-Road (semi-beefy tires and components)
Our trips -- pix and text
About our trailer
"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single list."

downtheroad
Explorer
Explorer
It's a good idea IF you can reto-fit your existing awning. Beside sun protection, it protects the rolled up awning from scraps/tares/abrasion from closes by over hanging foliage.

Ours came already with a metal wrap protector....similar to this:

"If we couldn't laugh we would all go insane."

Arctic Fox 25Y
GMC Duramax
Blue Ox SwayPro