cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

built like a sieve

Jean_S
Explorer
Explorer
We were blaming the cold areas on the windows. Then, we saw the rays of sunshine on the wall coming out from under the bed. There are gaps in where the slide rails are. We can't physically get into that area from inside because of the way the bed is installed. So, I stuffed grocery bags into the slots from te outside. Did the same with the other two slides and noticed that improved things, too. Next, I need to figure out whether I need a new door seal. The stairwell is really cold. What are these deigners thinking?
6 REPLIES 6

Jean_S
Explorer
Explorer
Yes, the seal near the slide mechanism was not damaged. It was not installed right. It is nearly an inch short, leaving a gap. Sounds like a small issue, but it's right next to the bed and becomes a big issue when the temps are in the 30's or low 40's and the wind is blowing.

workhardplayha1
Explorer
Explorer
What they are thinking is- people keep buying so why improve anything. If consumers want a better product quit accepting the poor quality that is leaving the factories.

down_home
Explorer II
Explorer II
Our slides have big seals all around that contact the outer wall all around.
Rear Bedroom seal, to work on it when it is open has flanges and seals that seal out weather besides. If the slide is not fully extended you can see daylight around places.

amandasgramma
Explorer
Explorer
Reminds me of our old 5er. The previous owner apparently felt the cold air was coming in thru all the outside lights, etc......there was so much silicone we didn't think we'd ever get it all off. Turns out, there was a big hole behind the tv, that was heading in behind the fridge......and, of course, the fridge is vented to the outside. We closed that up and had a nice snuggy warm rig. We think the previous owners had made the hole. ๐Ÿ˜ž

myredracer........my DH blocked off all but one vent that was used to warm the belly of the rig. We also changed the vent covers to adjustable ones. BIG difference.
My mind is a garden. My thoughts are the seeds. My harvest will be either flower or weeds

Dee and Bob
plus 2 spoiled cats
On the road FULL-TIME.......see ya there, my friend

myredracer
Explorer II
Explorer II
Yes, what were they thinking is right.

We have a heated underbelly to prevent the tanks from freezing which sounds nice at first, but it just dumps hot air into the underbelly space which ends up going straight out into the outdoors. As if that isn't bad enough, the air that is being blown outdoors has to be replaced inside an RV so you WILL get cold air drawn into it, no matter how hard to try to seal things up. Grrrr... We don't plan to camp in sub-freezing temps so I am going to disconnect the two ducts into the underbelly.

Halmfamily
Explorer
Explorer
I didn't even have our new one day before I was out in it with a can of expanding foam, pipe wrap, and a flashlight ensuring the unit is sealed as tight as it can be. Our old fiver had two big holes under the couches and boy did that let in a cold breeze.
2008 GMC Sierra 3500 SLT DRW D/A 4x4 (Big All)
2006 Ford F350 PSD SRW King Ranch 4x4 (Henry) (Sold)
B&W Companion, 90 Aux Fuel Tank, Scan Gauge II, Curt f/m hitch, Swagman XC
2015 Forest River Sierra 360 PDEK
DW Diane, DS Michael, FB Draco and Sabian