cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

diy wiring

illpanteraa
Explorer
Explorer
Hi everyone. New to RVing just purchased me first rv 76 Glendale. I'm planning on some minor upgrades in the electrical system the coach has the power convertor. I will be adding generator inverter and 4 12 volt 52 amp deep cycle scooter batteries. The converters 12 volt system is wired to run off the alt.but us missing the aux batt I kinda need some help figuring out a wiring solution I'm planning to run the gene to run the 110 side when boon docking and charge the Batts when it's running and keep charging the Batts off the alt when running the coach when the gene is off seems a little complicated I'm had at wiring and plumbing and stuff but don't want blow my converter bu adding 12 volt sources from different charging sources help would be greatly appreciated
13 REPLIES 13

beemerphile1
Explorer
Explorer
I have two of these MK gel group 24 batteries in my Aliner. They are 73ah@20hr rate.

They are great batteries and are built for taking a lot of abuse. They retail for around $250 each but I get them free at 18 months old when removed from mobility scooters. Mine are about 4 years old now.

Those gel batteries will serve you well. Most people are unfamiliar with gel batteries. More amps is always better. Get as many as you can.
Build a life you don't need a vacation from.

2016 Silverado 3500HD DRW D/A 4x4
2018 Keystone Cougar 26RBS
2006 Weekend Warrior FK1900

illpanteraa
Explorer
Explorer
ya that's what I meant

westend
Explorer
Explorer
illpanteraa wrote:
yes I already have 4 batteries they are mk 12 volt 52 amp deep cycle gel the guy I got them from said they would suit my needs these would only be used for lighting, water pump and the occasional pot of coffee I wold like know seems have good knowledge of this can I wire these in series
Wouldn't you want to wire them in parallel so you have 12V? If you wire them in series, you'll have 48V.
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

illpanteraa
Explorer
Explorer
yes I already have 4 batteries they are mk 12 volt 52 amp deep cycle gel the guy I got them from said they would suit my needs these would only be used for lighting, water pump and the occasional pot of coffee I wold like know seems have good knowledge of this can I wire these in series

illpanteraa
Explorer
Explorer
๐Ÿ™‚

Gdetrailer
Explorer III
Explorer III
westend wrote:

I would bet those 52 anp scooter batteries are AGM and not gel. Gel is a more expensive battery and usually isn't used in scooters. This is a good thing.

Not always.

Per

HERE

"Two types of deep-cycle batteries are used in power chairs and scooters: AGM or Gel. Both are a good choice, but AGM has two distinct advantages โ€” it lasts longer and is approved for air transport."

So it IS possible to get high Ahr GEL batteries for scooters and wheel chairs.

Gel cells TEND to be CHEAPER than AGMs per Ahr capacity since Gels have been around for MANY years longer than AGMs..

It only has been recent in the last few years that AGMs have gotten less expensive to manufacture but they are still more expensive and you tend to get LESS Ahr capacity for the size and weight of the battery when compared to a wet cell.

If you don't believe me about the possibility of GEL cells in scooters and wheel chairs then take a look at the following link..

HERE

Unless you REALLY NEED spill proof batteries, wet cells will get you the most Ahr capacity for the money.

If money is not object then have at it with the AGMs..

As far as running an inverter from three 52Ahr batteries, it can be done but you will not run it for long.. That is 156 Ahr capacity, AGMs take a major hit in life if you discharge them to 50%.. For longest life most AGMs should not be discharged more than 40% DOD..

That would be 62.5 Ahr capacity out of three of those batteries..

If you are not careful there are AGMs which have even LESS DOD capacity which is 15% - 20% DOD..

Hard to beat a Golf cart wet cell which can be discharged to 80% DOD and survive..

You CAN buy AGM golf cart batteries if you like, they do cost a bit more than a wet cell version and you do get a bit less capacity..

By the way, UPS batteries also tend to make for terrible deep discharging.. They are designed to be float charged all their life and will lose a lot of capacity quickly if charged/discharged a lot.. Typical life of a UPS battery which lives most of it's life in float charge is 2-3 years, get more than that you should celebrate.

On edit.. adding extra info.

Sams club 6V AGM golf cart battery

HERE
20 amp hour rate:190

50% DOD gives you 95 Ahr, although 40% or less DOD will result in much longer life of the battery.

$100 per battery ($200 for 2 so you get 12V)

Sams club Wet cell golf cart battery

HERE

20 amp hour rate:215

50% DOD gives you 107.5 Ahr

$84 per battery ($168 for 2 so you get 12V)

One should also note that many AGM battery manufacturers WILL list much lower discharge rates ON THE BATTERIES instead of the 20 Ahr rate. This skews the Ahr rating A LOT and makes the battery appear to have more capacity.

westend
Explorer
Explorer
illpanteraa wrote:
Thanx for the fast response many good ideas and yes I've been doing lots of research .I should take some time and sketch a design of my wiring scheme. An inverter is a must I only want to run a generator for charging my batteries when needed. My batteries are deep cycle gel I believe but will take a closer look FYI in using a cell and forgot my glasses sorry for the punctuation
OK, figured you were on a phone.
I would bet those 52 anp scooter batteries are AGM and not gel. Gel is a more expensive battery and usually isn't used in scooters. This is a good thing.

FWIW, I have one bank of AGM batteries (three in parallel). Two are from a hospital and one was a telecom backup. They are working out great for me. I have some solar so battery charging is pretty much hands off. I'd suggest you find the mfg's technical data about the scooter batteries. Not all AGM are equal for charging.

Also, I'm thinking you're going to get a surprise about how much an inverter draws. If you're just going to charge some small devices and occasional entertainment use, you'll be OK but start hooking up a coffee maker or a hair dyer and stand back, watch the electrons flow.

Good luck with your vintage rig. I've got one, too, and am real happy with it.
'03 F-250 4x4 CC

Gdetrailer
Explorer III
Explorer III
illpanteraa wrote:
Thanx for the fast response many good ideas and yes I've been doing lots of research .I should take some time and sketch a design of my wiring scheme. An inverter is a must I only want to run a generator for charging my batteries when needed. My batteries are deep cycle gel I believe but will take a closer look FYI in using a cell and forgot my glasses sorry for the punctuation

Unless you already HAVE the GEL scooter batteries to use I would recommend NOT using them. The only other exception to that would be IF those scooter batteries are AGM type AND you have them already..

Gel batteries DO NOT like being over discharged, left in a partial discharged state and being charged at too high of a current. They are fussy about everything and the only real feature if you call that is they are non spill able..

Gel batteries are at the bottom of the rung for deep discharging so your actual usable Ahr capacity is about 1/4 or less of the stated rating if you want a decent amount of usable life out of them..

For the BEST bang for the buck 6V Golf Cart batteries will get you 205-215 Ahrs rating which if you limit it to 50% discharge you get about 105 Ahrs of usage and very long life.

Golf cart batteries can survive 80% depth of discharge (DOD) with some reduced life.. Do that ONCE to Gel or AGM and you have an expensive door stop..

illpanteraa
Explorer
Explorer

Peg_Leg
Explorer
Explorer
I don't have any idea of the scooter batteries charging requirements. 4 scooter batteries at 52 amps will be very close to equaling, 2 - 12v deep cycles in parallel, or also to 2 - 6v golf cart batteries in series. Both have proven records for this type application. I would bet battery life will be much longer with the wet cells.
2012 Chevy 3500HD Dually 4X4
Crew Cab long bed 6.0 gasser 4.10
2019 Open Range OF337RLS
Yamaha EF3000iSE
retired gadgetman

spike99
Explorer
Explorer

Suggest starting with basics, then advance into next level.

With this in mind, below are the basics. Hope this helps.

westend
Explorer
Explorer
Jack's Golden Rules contains a lot of information.

BTW, next time you post, could you use some punctuation and proofread your post? For me it is barely understandable. I have no idea what "I am had..." means.
'03 F-250 4x4 CC

beemerphile1
Explorer
Explorer
Welcome to the forum. I can't possibly explain what you want to know. Based on the things you have written I think you are in way over your head.

My suggestion is to spent a lot of time reading other posts on the tech section of the forum Also spend a lot of time digging around in your RV but without changing anything. Eventually you will absorb enough knowledge to be able to ask the necessary questions to accomplish your goals.

When asking questions be specific. Tell us what RV you have, what converter you have, what generator you have, etc. Give brands and model numbers.
Build a life you don't need a vacation from.

2016 Silverado 3500HD DRW D/A 4x4
2018 Keystone Cougar 26RBS
2006 Weekend Warrior FK1900