cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fireplace removal and repurposing space

a64armt
Explorer
Explorer
Has anyone removed the Factory installed RV fireplace and repurposed the space? I don’t see is using it much. I was considering removing it and building an insert that will house and obscure cat litter box, lined with waterproof paneling, hinged front door, small pet doors for entry.

Thoughts?
Vincent
Orlando, FL
2008 Ford F250 CC KR 6.4 Diesel - Air Lift 5000 Ultimate w/wireless air, Bilstein 4600 HD’s, Hellwig BigWig Sway bars, Pullrite Super Rails, Hensley BD3
2014 Lifestyle RV LS36FW
19 REPLIES 19

a64armt
Explorer
Explorer
ScottG wrote:
We use the heck out of ours. You might try it before you rip it out.
Also, the compartment for ours was only about 10" deep (most fireplaces aren't any deeper than that). If you haven't already removed it anc checked, it may not be all that big back there.

The depth might be the deciding factor. We have dual heat pumps, but admit the fireplace might be nice if we do any cold weather camping
Vincent
Orlando, FL
2008 Ford F250 CC KR 6.4 Diesel - Air Lift 5000 Ultimate w/wireless air, Bilstein 4600 HD’s, Hellwig BigWig Sway bars, Pullrite Super Rails, Hensley BD3
2014 Lifestyle RV LS36FW

Devocamper
Explorer
Explorer
We use ours spring and fall when we have hookups sure saves on the propane !!! Just a fancy electric heater.
08 NU-WA Hitchhiker Discover America 339 RSB Sold
18 Host Mammoth
07 Chevy 3500HD LT1 EXT Cab LB DRW D/A Sold
18 Ram 3500 SLT Crew Cab DRW 4x2 6.4 4.10's

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
We use the heck out of ours. You might try it before you rip it out.
Also, the compartment for ours was only about 10" deep (most fireplaces aren't any deeper than that). If you haven't already removed it anc checked, it may not be all that big back there.

DFord
Explorer
Explorer
I had one in our previous MH. We got more use out of it than any other appliance bar none. RVs don't hold the heat so when the sun goes down and the temps go down, we turned on the fireplace to keep it comfortable. Liked the ambiance too.

If you want to remove it, there's nothing to it. Take out the screws on the sides and pull it out. You'll find a cord plugged into an outlet behind it. Plug the cord and pick up the fireplace. At least that's how it was on my unit.
Don Ford
2004 Safari Trek 31SBD (F53/V10 20,500GVW)
'09 HHR 2LT or '97 Aerostar MiniVan (Remco driveshaft disconnect) for Towed vehicles
BlueOx Aventa II Towbar - ReadyBrake Inertia Brake System

Lwiddis
Explorer II
Explorer II
Will you miss the heat it provides?
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad