Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Hitch Mount Bike Carrier???

kfp673
Explorer II
Explorer II
Hello All,

We have a 2" receiver mounted to the rear bumper of our Travel Trailer and we recently purchased a 4 bike carrier from Wal Mart. We took it on it's first trip and it destroyed the paint on our bikes. No matter what I did it managed to scrape them. It was $150 rack so I thought it was OK but I guess not. We are returning that and looking for another option. The Thule looks great but is awfully expensive. Can anyone make a recommendation for a 4 bike hitch mount carrier? The difficult part seems to be that we have 2 adult sized mountain bikes, and 2 kids bikes that all need to fit. Having the kids bikes always seems to put their bikes near our chain or pedals etc. Should I just spend on the Thule or is there another less expensive option? Thanks!
18 REPLIES 18

naturist
Nomad
Nomad
Um, now you know why Thule actually GETS those prices for their units.

I second the recommendation to try to find one used.

pconroy328
Explorer
Explorer
I'm not sure where you live but Thule and Yakima gear out here show up on craisglist as often as the in-laws to a free buffet.

We bought a looked new but used 4 bike Thule for a fraction of the price of new. The previous owner wanted it out of their garage toot sweet.

Campfire_Time
Explorer
Explorer
Probably out of your price range, but we have a Swagman 2 place rack that we use on the back of our truck when not towing. I also would be leery of our bikes bouncing around on the back of a trailer.

But this Swagman 4 place rack is similar to our 2 place rack. Ours is going on 10 years old and has held up very well.
Chuck D.
โ€œAdventure is just bad planning.โ€ - Roald Amundsen
2013 Jayco X20E Hybrid
2016 Chevy Silverado Crew Cab Z71 LTZ2
2008 GMC Sierra SLE1 Crew Cab Z71 (traded)

Dick_B
Explorer
Explorer
For previous posts on this popular subject try searching this Forum for `bike rack' and read on. To minimize the responses try searching the results for `four' or `four bikes' or `thule' or `saris', etc.
I, personally, would not want to carry four bikes on one rack due to the overhung load and the bouncing around of the bikes due to the bad roads.
Dick_B
2003 SunnyBrook 27FKS
2011 3/4 T Chevrolet Suburban
Equal-i-zer Hitch
One wife, two electric bikes (both Currie Tech Path+ models)