cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

I just added a 50 amp supply to my trailer

NanciL
Explorer II
Explorer II
We have a brand new 40 foot long Forest River trailer that only has a thirty amp 120 volt supply.
It has a 15,000 BTU AC unit and a residential refrigerator. Three different times the 30 amp breaker would pop and I couldn't quite figure out why
Then after doing some figuring I found out that if the AC unit came on at the exact same time the refrigerator's compressor came on and at the same time the electric water heater was on. the In-rush current was way over the limit of the 30 amp breaker, (they all could run together if they had come on at different times, but not all at once)
With that said; I Left the 30 amp supply and panel completely alone but added a 100 amp 220 volt panel and new 50 amp cord and plug. I changed the main 100 amp 2 p0le breaker out to a 50 amp one.
Then I disconnected the air conditioning feed cable from the 30 amp panel and rerouted it via a junction box to a new 20 amp single pole breaker in the new panel.
I now have the problem solved and have plenty of capacity for a future washer and dryer if I want.
Total cost for the entire project materials was less than $150 and the panel even came with a 2 pole 30 amp breaker, (think clothes dryer) and two 20 amp single pole breakers.

If they can't get it right at the factory we need to do it ourselves !

jackL
Jack & Nanci
17 REPLIES 17

RollandB
Explorer
Explorer
I agree with Ragflo it would be good to see some pics of your finished work. Last fall I upgraded my 30 amp service to a 50 amp using a Progressive Dynamics PD5500 AC distribution panel. In the planning stage at that time was the install of an inverter that uses a pass through to a subpanel so I ordered the PD5500 with their option 6 which combined in the same panel, the 50 amp main service and a 30 amp sub panel. At the time I replaced my old 30 amp main with the 50 I just wired in on the 50 amp main side till I get to wiring the sub panel, then I"ll just be moving a few circuits from the main to the sub panel.

For those tight on space Progressive Dynamics has you covered!
2013 Yukon

2021 Coachmen Spirit 1943RB

TNGW1500SE
Explorer
Explorer
Did the same thing in my (sold now) TT. Worked great. Also ran and outlet off the "new phase" for an electric heater. Never tripped a breaker again.

The wire is what cost the most.

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
Would love to see a picture or two of the panel install. Sounds like a great upgrade, just many of us don't the space for a 100 amp panel.
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"