cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Installing an Elec. Tounge Jack?

harmanrk
Explorer
Explorer
Purchased an Ultra Fab 3002 to add to the trailer this season. I had figured they installation would be pretty easy, remove a few bolts, pull the hand crank jack, puth te new jack in place, put the bolts back, then hook up the wiring (Positive to my battery disconnect, negative to the frame ground)

Looking at the unit and the paperwork (what little there is), it uses a contact frame ground, that makes use of the connection bewteen the flange and the tounge, and only has a single cable to run to the + terminal of the battery (Or disconnect in this case) It also came with an in line fuse unit, that would need to be added between the disconnect and the motor.

I have a battery lead, I would like to use, to connect to the disconnect. I assume I would need to cut one end off the lead, and use butt splices, and shrink tape to add the in line fuse, then the same to connect to the lead to the motor?

If anyone has photos, or recomendations on how to better do this I would really like to see them. I am concerned about making sure the connectiones are solid, and strong enough to handle not only the heat of summer, but also the stresses of wind and movment while traveling.

Thank you.
2017 Ford F250 CC-SB SRW PSD
2013 Solaire 190x
6 REPLIES 6

BarneyS
Explorer III
Explorer III
I would hook it up exactly as you described in your first paragraph and then use zip ties to secure the wire to the jack tube and any frame members you can find. This will ensure it doesn't vibrate or get knocked loose.

In this picture of mine, you can see the wire coming from the tongue jack at the left front of the battery box. It is connected directly to the battery with an inline fuse. Notice all the zip ties used to secure other wires also.
Barney

2004 Sunnybrook Titan 30FKS TT
Hensley "Arrow" 1400# hitch (Sold)
Not towing now.
Former tow vehicles were 2016 Ram 2500 CTD, 2002 Ford F250, 7.3 PSD, 1997 Ram 2500 5.9 gas engine

harmanrk
Explorer
Explorer
Anyone else have any information, or photos of their installation?
2017 Ford F250 CC-SB SRW PSD
2013 Solaire 190x

GordonThree
Explorer
Explorer
Bumpyroad wrote:
are the house battery/ies in a TT grounded to frame? is this more a motorhome type of thing?
I have a plug on the side of my battery box that I plan on plugging the jack into for both contacts rather than going thru the TT wiring.
bumpy

Sounds like a good idea. The shorter the path the electricity has to take, the better the jack will work.

My KZ TT's battery was not grounded to the frame directly, but instead wired into a ground buss-bar near the converter which was connected to the frame.
2013 KZ Sportsmen Classic 200, 20 ft TT
2020 RAM 1500, 5.7 4x4, 8 speed

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
are the house battery/ies in a TT grounded to frame? is this more a motorhome type of thing?
I have a plug on the side of my battery box that I plan on plugging the jack into for both contacts rather than going thru the TT wiring.
bumpy

GordonThree
Explorer
Explorer
The instructions for my Barker pointed out that one of the 3 bolt holes uses a toothed washer, to bite into the metal on both the jack and the frame, ensuring a good ground. They recommended sanding the frame where that wash makes contact.

Also, your mileage with that fuse may vary, but if your luck is like mine, the fuse will burn out at the least opportune time. After failing to find a replacement 30 amp time-delay glass fuse, I got tired of hand cranking my electric jack. I cut out the fuse holder and replaced it with a waterproof marine grade circuit breaker.

Cooper-Bussman 30 amp waterproof
2013 KZ Sportsmen Classic 200, 20 ft TT
2020 RAM 1500, 5.7 4x4, 8 speed

badboy368
Explorer
Explorer
Solder your connections and use heavy enough wire and you will be fine. Mine is wired the same way and it works great ๐Ÿ™‚
40' pusher,350 turbo cat, pullin a 37' trailer haulin a drag car. oh yea baby