cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

inverter generator storage during use

dtappy3353
Explorer
Explorer
What do you use to shelter your generator during camping?

If you keep it on the pickup bed, how do you secure it?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you.
5 REPLIES 5

Ron3rd
Explorer
Explorer
I keep it in the bed of the truck under my locking hard tonneau. Out of sight.
2016 6.7 CTD 2500 BIG HORN MEGA CAB
2013 Forest River 3001W Windjammer
Equilizer Hitch
Honda EU2000

"I have this plan to live forever; so far my plan is working"

beemerphile1
Explorer
Explorer
In case of rain it goes under the picnic table or the folding table we carry. Cable lock to picnic table while we are around the campsite. Sit it inside the trailer door when leaving the campsite.
Build a life you don't need a vacation from.

2016 Silverado 3500HD DRW D/A 4x4
2018 Keystone Cougar 26RBS
2006 Weekend Warrior FK1900

RoyB
Explorer II
Explorer II
We like to camp off the power grid alot and I think being OUT-OF-SIGHT is the best solution. My EU2000i 2K Honda Generator sits in the bed of my truck secured to the tail gate area with a locking cable. When I use it I just drop the tail gate and pull it out onto the tailgate. My truck bed has the FOLD-A-COVER bed cover which also locks.

When not is use the generator is out of sight and also goes where i go... NO WAY will I leave my generator unattended at the camp site.

just me thinking...
Roy Ken
My Posts are IMHO based on my experiences - Words in CAPS does not mean I am shouting
Roy - Carolyn
RETIRED DOAF/DON/DOD/CONTR RADIO TECH (42yrs)
K9PHT (Since 1957) 146.52M
2010 F150, 5.4,3:73 Gears,SCab
2008 Starcraft 14RT EU2000i GEN
2005 Flagstaff 8528RESS

dapperdan
Explorer
Explorer
I had our nephew fabricate a metal "carrier", that's what I like to call it anyway. I designed it to slide into the receiver hitch on the back of our Montana. I use a padlock to secure the "carrier" to the trailer, I also designed a bar like device that prevents the generator from being removed. This bar is also secured with a padlock. We used this for the first time last fall on a 5 week trip we took form here in WI out to the west coast, worked great and I had no worries of being stolen.

The "carrier" is built with perforated steel and angle iron to allow for ample ventilation, allowing us to run it while running down the road and pre-cooling the RV before we get to our destination in warmer weather. It worked well when stopping at rest areas and picnic areas at lunch time too. We use a Honda EU3000I in the carrier. I did discover that traveling on dusty roads requires putting the generator in the basement, I didn't want the generator exposed to too much dirt.

Dan

SkippysPad
Explorer
Explorer
There's all kinds of security devices out there. Cables on a reel that bolt to the frame of the TT.....etc. I have a topper on the truck. It, as well as the tailgate both lock. But of course, I don't always want to carry it around if we need to run to town or something. Often times I'll put it under the tongue of the TT and run the safety chains through the tube frame. Then a good padlock through the chains. Our new TT will have a generator rack on the tongue. I'll have to figure out a way to secure it there.

As for sheltering.......if it's running, I usually don't want it right next to the TT. But if it looks like rain or nasty weather just set it under the TT. Try to pick a location where water won't run down hill right to the generator. Remember to point the exhaust away from the TT.
:B 2013 F-250 4x4 Crew, 6.7L Turbo Diesel, 5000lb Air Lift rear bags,
Equalizer 1200/12K Trunnion Bars
2015 KZ MXT 303 Toy Hauler:C
2013 Yamaha FJR 1300, 2 dogs, Him & Her:C