cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Is your spare tire mounted on little tee nuts? Check it out

profdant139
Explorer II
Explorer II
My trailerโ€™s spare tire mount is on the back wall of the trailer. I was thinking about mounting a small one-gallon gas can (for my generator) on top of the spare. (That project will be described in a separate post, coming soon.) But before I began the gas can project, I took a good hard look at the spare tire mount.

I removed the spare and realized that all four of the bolts holding the mount onto the back wall were a little loose โ€“ yikes! Worse yet, when I tried to tighten them, they did not tighten.

It turns out that the tee nuts inside the back wall of the trailer were rotating as I tried to tighten the bolts โ€“ the little prongs anchoring the tee nuts had bent.

Clearly, the tee nuts were not adequate for the load of the spare tire, especially given the vibration and shock caused by the spare tire on rough roads. This is what the tee nuts looked like โ€“ tiny and inadequate:

Click For Full-Size Image.

So instead of the original quarter inch steel bolts, I put in 3/8 inch stainless steel bolts. Instead of tee nuts, I added a thick piece of steel bar and used heavy duty lock washers and nuts:

Click For Full-Size Image.

Now the load will be distributed over a wider area of the back wall, reducing the โ€œforce per square inchโ€ caused by the weight and vibration of the spare tire. And you can bet that I will check these bolts and nuts every so often, just to make darn sure that everything is secure.
2012 Fun Finder X-139 "Boondock Style" (axle-flipped and extra insulation)
2013 Toyota Tacoma Off-Road (semi-beefy tires and components)
Our trips -- pix and text
About our trailer
"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single list."
13 REPLIES 13

profdant139
Explorer II
Explorer II
Interesting! But I have a gas can with a no-drip spout that really, really works. (California mandates these, and for once the regulators have gotten something right.) . It is a one gallon red plastic thing with a strong spring loaded spout. So that is why I am working on a gas can mount that sits securely on top of the tire.

As promised, I will post this project, but not for a couple of weeks -- family obligations are getting in the way of garage time. Sigh.
About our trailer

JoeH
Explorer III
Explorer III
profdant139 wrote:
My trailerโ€™s spare tire mount is on the back wall of the trailer. I was thinking about mounting a small one-gallon gas can (for my generator) on top of the spare. (That project will be described in a separate post, coming soon.) But before I began the gas can project, I took a good hard look at the spare tire mount.

I removed the spare and realized that all four of the bolts holding the mount onto the back wall were a little loose โ€“ yikes! Worse yet, when I tried to tighten them, they did not tighten.

It turns out that the tee nuts inside the back wall of the trailer were rotating as I tried to tighten the bolts โ€“ the little prongs anchoring the tee nuts had bent.

Clearly, the tee nuts were not adequate for the load of the spare tire, especially given the vibration and shock caused by the spare tire on rough roads. This is what the tee nuts looked like โ€“ tiny and inadequate:

So instead of the original quarter inch steel bolts, I put in 3/8 inch stainless steel bolts. Instead of tee nuts, I added a thick piece of steel bar and used heavy duty lock washers and nuts:

Now the load will be distributed over a wider area of the back wall, reducing the โ€œforce per square inchโ€ caused by the weight and vibration of the spare tire. And you can bet that I will check these bolts and nuts every so often, just to make darn sure that everything is secure.

They used to make a round gas can that would fit inside the spare tire, might want to consider that.
Joe
2013 Dutch Star 4338- all electric
Toad is 2015 F-150 with bikes,kayaks and Harley aboard

profdant139
Explorer II
Explorer II
Actually, the stuff I used is not silicone -- it is called Lexel:

Lexel

I put quite a bit of it into the bolt holes and also behind the spare tire mount. I have used it in other "through the wall" holes, with good results.
About our trailer

richclover
Explorer
Explorer
mobeewan wrote:
Great way for water to get into the wall.

I like the OPโ€™s fix. A little silicone seal around the bolts...
Rich
2019 RAM 1500 Classic 4X4 Hemi
2021 CanAm Maverick DS Turbo
Southern NV

mobeewan
Explorer
Explorer
Great way for water to get into the wall.

profdant139
Explorer II
Explorer II
If my trailer had a pass-through, that would be a great place for the spare. This trailer is so small that I have to go outside to change my mind! The box is not quite 12 feet long and 7 feet wide. (No kidding.)
About our trailer

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
DutchmenSport wrote:
We each do it our own way, but I removed my spare tire from my previous travel trailer bumper mounts and carried them in the back of the pick-up truck bed and kept the weight off the bumper.

I've always moved the spare tire to that part of the front pass through storage compartment I'm least likely to use for other stuff - the centre area - and used the wheel well for storing extra main service cables and fresh water hoses. Works well, keeps the spare out of the elements entirely, and puts more weight where it belongs at the front of the trailer rather than the rear. :B
2012 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab
2014 Coachmen Freedom Express 192RBS
2003 Fleetwood Yuma * 2008 K-Z Spree 240BH-LX
2007 TrailCruiser C21RBH * 2000 Fleetwood Santa Fe
1998 Jayco 10UD * 1969 Coleman CT380

profdant139
Explorer II
Explorer II
Oh, and one more thing -- the reinforced tire support will also support my new gas can rack! I will report on that project in about a week or so, depending on whether I am authorized by my Supervisor (DW) to spend some uninterrupted time in my garage. ๐Ÿ˜‰

So that is another reason to favor keeping the tire on the back wall.
About our trailer

profdant139
Explorer II
Explorer II
I, too, am leery of leaving it all on the back wall, but there are not a lot of other choices on such a tiny trailer. The tongue is at capacity. I suppose I could carry the trailer's spare in the bed of the truck, but I would lose a lot of cargo space that is already in use.

Or I could mount it under the trailer -- very hard to get to, and it would impair my clearance.

I have seen folks with roof racks on their trucks with spare tires up top -- that would raise the center of gravity a lot.

Since the spare and the back wall have already survived six years of traveling (much of it off-road), with the original poor hardware, I am hoping that my upgrade will keep the winning streak alive.

Life is a series of compromises, unfortunately.
About our trailer

Tachdriver
Explorer
Explorer
Nice catch and repair!

bob213
Explorer
Explorer
That's a good repair. Your profile says "modified for off road". I think I would find a new location for your spare. I would hate to see that entire back wall crumble or crack from one big jolt. Maybe I'm just too cautious.
You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality โ€“ Ayn Rand

nineoaks2004
Explorer
Explorer
Looks good and should hold a lot better than the junk they had installed to mount it.
By the time you learn the rules of life
You're to old to play the game

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
I went out to YouTube and pulled up a couple videos on your camper to help understand how that tire is mounted to your camper. When I saw the videos I undrstood .... yikes! I thought mounting spare tires on bumper was daunting, but seeing yours is just hanging on the wall, dangling with no other support .... yikes!

We each do it our own way, but I removed my spare tire from my previous travel trailer bumper mounts and carried them in the back of the pick-up truck bed and kept the weight off the bumper. I did this with all 3 of my different travel trailers.

But your's looks even weaker than that. Nice fix you did there. Hopefully this will work well for you. Yes, check often.