cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Jack antenna?

colliehauler
Explorer II
Explorer II
Anyone use the new Jack antenna and how is the performance?
23 REPLIES 23

Playtime_II
Explorer
Explorer
Easiest mod I've done yet-5 mins. It takes longer to get on the roof.

Ensure you get the JACK that has the wingard adapter included. Raise the batwing. Add the adapter to the jack with the 4 philips screws (included). Remove the coax cable from the old wingard (a 7/16 open ended wrench helps). Remove the two "c" clips on the wingard pins (a small flat blade screwdriver helps). Remove the two pins and dispose of the wingard batwing. Use the two pins to install the JACK and new "c" clips (included). Add some dielectric goop (included) to the coax connector and attach to JACK. There is a LED on the bottom to confirm there is power (from Antennna Amp inside via the multi-switch box or wall receptacle). They even include an Amp if you wanted to use the JACK in a non-RV situation.

I have an AC right next to the JACK (in the lowered position) with a little room to spare. I would not have been able to add on to the old batwing.

They only drawback is the batwing had rubber bumpers that rested on the roof when lowered. Since the JACK sits on top of the parallel bars it does not have them. I'm thinking of adding some type of bumper to the bar.
Playtime IV
2006 HR Scepter 42DSQ

ktmrfs
Explorer
Explorer
webslave wrote:
You'll find several threads concerning the Jack antenna and a couple have folks have done some "research" with signal meters and wave analysis that have some strong points for the Sensar IV or the Sensar III with the Wingman (the IV version comes with the Wingman) and some strong points for the Jack, but, IMHO, no clear or obvious winner.

In my own personal "trials" when I had a bumper pull, my real world experience gave an edge in signal reception to the Jack and the mechanical advantages; smaller footprint, less air resistance (not as much blowing around in a stiff breeze) and the LED indicator on the antenna itself to show the antenna actually was powered, pushed it "over the edge" for me. When I bought my 5er, I put the Jack on it first thing. I find it just as "powerful" an amplifier, and far less "directional" than the Sensar. I believe that the less directionality is what leads most people to believe that it inherently "receives" more signal. In a way it does, but, not because of the mechanics, it just is more tolerant of an "off-axis" signal; it will give you a picture from that off-axis signal where the Sensar with Wingman maybe won't; in essence providing more stations in locations where the stations aren't grouped or clustered in the same geographical area. If all of the stations are coming from the same general area, you probably won't notice any difference between the three, and IMHO, you would probably do fine 85% of the time with either the Sensar III and Wingman, the Sensar IV or the Jack. It is that other 15% that makes me a Jack owner.

I'll agree with all the above, very good summary. What I will add is that if you have a wingman/etc. and have marginal signals, installing the sensar pro amp from wiengard will give you more of a reception improvement than the jack for about the same price. The ultimate combo is a Jack and sensar pro amp. If you can't attach a wingman to the sensar, then go for a jack. the sensar needs the wingman for many of the channels frequencies for improved reception.
2011 Keystone Outback 295RE
2004 14' bikehauler with full living quarters
2015.5 Denali 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison
2004.5 Silverado 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison passed on to our Son!

colliehauler
Explorer II
Explorer II
I was looking at doing away with the mast and going with the Jack antenna that had a short mast that you did not crank down.

wildtoad
Explorer II
Explorer II
IAMICHABOD wrote:
I installed the Jack some time ago,I had a clearance problem so I couldn't install the Wing man when I tried. With the wing man on I found that It didn't improve my reception. All connections were good.

I found that the Jack is smaller and lighter and dosnt bang around on the roof,as the Batwing did.

Very similar experience. Tried to attach Wingman to Batwing but would not fit due to roof AC, so swapped it out for the Jack. Much better reception than the 12 year old Batwing. Can't say how it compares to a newer Batwing though.
Tom Wilds
Blythewood, SC
2016 Newmar Baystar Sport 3004
2015 Jeep Wrangler 2dr HT

IAMICHABOD
Explorer II
Explorer II
I installed the Jack some time ago,I had a clearance problem so I couldn't install the Wing man when I tried. With the wing man on I found that It didn't improve my reception. All connections were good.

I found that the Jack is smaller and lighter and dosnt bang around on the roof,as the Batwing did.

I just got a new TV for christmas and hooked it up and got 57 channels sitting in my driveway, that is 3 times the channels that I got with the Batwing/Wingman

Smaller Lighter Better
2006 TIOGA 26Q CHEVY 6.0 WORKHORSE VORTEC
Former El Monte RV Rental
Retired Teamster Local 692
Buying A Rental Class C

webslave
Explorer
Explorer
You'll find several threads concerning the Jack antenna and a couple have folks have done some "research" with signal meters and wave analysis that have some strong points for the Sensar IV or the Sensar III with the Wingman (the IV version comes with the Wingman) and some strong points for the Jack, but, IMHO, no clear or obvious winner.

In my own personal "trials" when I had a bumper pull, my real world experience gave an edge in signal reception to the Jack and the mechanical advantages; smaller footprint, less air resistance (not as much blowing around in a stiff breeze) and the LED indicator on the antenna itself to show the antenna actually was powered, pushed it "over the edge" for me. When I bought my 5er, I put the Jack on it first thing. I find it just as "powerful" an amplifier, and far less "directional" than the Sensar. I believe that the less directionality is what leads most people to believe that it inherently "receives" more signal. In a way it does, but, not because of the mechanics, it just is more tolerant of an "off-axis" signal; it will give you a picture from that off-axis signal where the Sensar with Wingman maybe won't; in essence providing more stations in locations where the stations aren't grouped or clustered in the same geographical area. If all of the stations are coming from the same general area, you probably won't notice any difference between the three, and IMHO, you would probably do fine 85% of the time with either the Sensar III and Wingman, the Sensar IV or the Jack. It is that other 15% that makes me a Jack owner.
My 2 cents, your mileage may vary...

Don
Bronwyn
Down to 1 kitty...J-Lo, the princess

2014 Thor Tuscany 40RX
2015 Jeep Cherokee TrailHawk Towed

REWahoo
Explorer
Explorer
Here is a recent thread on the subject with some good info: Jack Antenna
2011 Silverado 2500HD LTZ Duramax 4x4
2007 Jayco Eagle 291RLTS (trade in)
2017 Jayco Eagle HT 27.5RLTS

JC2
Explorer
Explorer
C.B. wrote:
Replaced my batwing last spring with the Jack with strength meter.

Very satisfied,better rception with more channels.

C.B.

X2 :B
2010 Newmar Dutch Aire 4304,Cummins ISL 425hp,Spartan MM Chassis,2013 Chev Equinox AWD Towed,Ready Brute Elite TowBar/Brake,FMCA #402879,SKP#120487

C_B_
Explorer
Explorer
Replaced my batwing last spring with the Jack with strength meter.

Very satisfied,better rception with more channels.

C.B.
CBVP2004~FORD~F350~CC~LARIAT~SRW~SB~4X4~6.0D~
AUTO~PULLRITE 16K SUPERGLIDE~DEMCO GLIDERIDE~
PRODIGY CONTROLLER~C-BETR MIRRORS~EMS-HW50C~

Butch/Barb=2013-Cedar Creek 36CKTS
Kris/Katy=2006-Cherokee 32B