cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

LED project on Sunday

sdb1103
Explorer
Explorer
Well I just booked a dry camp outing for the weekend of 9/12. Since its always dark there I have decided to do a LED project. I have ordered some water proof LED flexible strips and a few other things. I plan to put the LED strips under the camper right where the side wall ends to add some light without being blinding. If all goes well and I can figure out a way to do it I will also be running some of the same LED's either on the awning roller or just under the awning where it meets the camper wall tho these will be remote dimming 🙂

so many projects ... so little time .... and money 😞 LOL
34 REPLIES 34

Unit505
Explorer
Explorer
I bought the particular set off of eBay for $20. I've bought several sets and this one was different. The first couple of led strips were 5050smd leds. They each had red leds, green leds and blue leds. The eBay set I put on the trailer has true rgb leds. Each led does red, green and blue. Much brighter than the previous sets. I don't know how to tell you to determine which set to buy. Do NOT buy 3528smd leds. Lower power draw, but much dimmer. Ask the seller before you buy if these are true rgb leds. Don't get me wrong, either set is nice, but the true rgb leds give allot more color options and the white option. That said, if the 44 key remote has a white color button, it should be true rgb.
KC5JLB Jeff
KC5KDB Kim

bshpilot
Explorer
Explorer
gmc6000 wrote:

Links do not work???

weird....even when i fixed/verified the links the fail ?

heres the direct links -

16 ft / 7 color / LED Strip with controller & AC to DC power supply - http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00ASHQQKI

Extension - http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00JPZK934
Don R.
'04 42' Haulmark Motor Coach - 450hp/1650tq / 12 spd SmartShift
'12 Jeep Wrangler Sport (manual trans)
'17 Platinum F350 (6.7L, SRW, CC, Long bed, 4x4)

gmc6000
Explorer
Explorer
bshpilot wrote:
gmc6000 wrote:

Where did you purchase your kit and could you also list the kit information. I have been considering putting something like this on my toy hauler.

Thanks

I picked the16 ft, string of 7 color LED's (w/ AC adapter & remote) for $24 off of Amazon - i also picked up a LED wire extension for $8 at Amazon so i could hide the wiring.

that amazon link above lets you pick different lengths if 16.7 feet is too much or too little.

Links do not work???
2017 Ram 3500 DRW Laramie MegaCab 6.7 Aisin 4:10
2013 KZ Inferno 3710T

bshpilot
Explorer
Explorer
gmc6000 wrote:

Where did you purchase your kit and could you also list the kit information. I have been considering putting something like this on my toy hauler.

Thanks

I picked the16 ft, string of 7 color LED's (w/ AC adapter & remote) for $24 off of AMAZON - i also picked up a LED wire extension for $8 at Amazon so i could hide the wiring.

that amazon link above lets you pick different lengths if 16.7 feet is too much or too little.

(Note: Moderator edit to fix broken link)
Don R.

gmc6000
Explorer
Explorer
Unit505 wrote:
Just completed my LED project today with smd 5050 waterproof led strips. I didn't get the latest pics today, but this is from yesterday. These strips do virtually every color including white. This pic shows the step lights with cord attached. I wired them in today direct to a 12v source. I downloaded a smart phone app that lets me control them with the phone.

Click For Full-Size Image.

Click For Full-Size Image.

Thanks
2017 Ram 3500 DRW Laramie MegaCab 6.7 Aisin 4:10
2013 KZ Inferno 3710T

bshpilot
Explorer
Explorer
heres a couple of pictures from this past weekends outing - NO CAMERA flash was used...the lighting is really good, red and blue are reported NOT to attract bugs and certainly less glare is produced w/ these colors - but you can make your own color choices via the 40 button remote (up to 20 color choices), you can even DIM the lights (via the remote) if necessary.

here's a couple more after it got dark (again no flash) - i have a separate small set of (red) led's under the coach to illuminate or back light the steps. the step lights are not multi color & are on a separate switch.

Don R.

bshpilot
Explorer
Explorer
Unit505 wrote:
The controllers are available on eBay for as little as $2 with free shipping. The power supply, which I ditched, is another 7 or 8 dollars.

Ive got multiple (laptop etc) transformer/converters - I got another one w/ the $24 16 foot LED kit i just put on the coach....i didn't use it (i went native 12 vdc).
Don R.

Unit505
Explorer
Explorer
The controllers are available on eBay for as little as $2 with free shipping. The power supply, which I ditched, is another 7 or 8 dollars.
KC5JLB Jeff
KC5KDB Kim

bshpilot
Explorer
Explorer
sdb1103 wrote:
thanks for all the ideas on this. I have my roll of LED lights and planning to get them installed before my next trip on Oct 9th. I just have the 12 volt LED's and not a controller. I was just planning on putting them on a switch but I like the idea of a remote control too.

the controller on mine is where the power input is....and its 12vdc....included in my kit (for 24 bucks) was an ac to dc power supply (that plugs into the controller).

if you don't have multi-colored (rgb) LED's then you don't need a controller (but you might want a dimmer).
Don R.

sdb1103
Explorer
Explorer
thanks for all the ideas on this. I have my roll of LED lights and planning to get them installed before my next trip on Oct 9th. I just have the 12 volt LED's and not a controller. I was just planning on putting them on a switch but I like the idea of a remote control too.

Unit505
Explorer
Explorer
Gotcha!
KC5JLB Jeff
KC5KDB Kim

bshpilot
Explorer
Explorer
Unit505 wrote:
Looks great. I wanted to tap into the awning power, but the only two wires available were powered only when I pressed the awning extend or retract. My 7 year warranty only covers mechanical issues, so it's probably best that I ran the wires through the wall rather than tapping into the awning power anyway.

i didn't tap the awning power - i used push the LED (extension) wire thru the same hole as the awning power cable.
Don R.

Unit505
Explorer
Explorer
Looks great. I wanted to tap into the awning power, but the only two wires available were powered only when I pressed the awning extend or retract. My 7 year warranty only covers mechanical issues, so it's probably best that I ran the wires through the wall rather than tapping into the awning power anyway.
KC5JLB Jeff
KC5KDB Kim

bshpilot
Explorer
Explorer
I was able to get my LED Strip mounted this evening.

Thank GOD for power awnings 😉 cause i was able to hide the power lead inside the awning arm & use the same hidden hole in the wall that the factory created for the power lead to the power awning.

The strip of LED's will be hidden and protected during travel by the awning when its rolled up.

In this picture i have temporarily used white duct tape to keep the LED extension wire from moving around loosely, this will also prevent the power lead from getting pinched or abraded.

the IR sensor is fairly well hidden inside the coach behind the window, I may move it by soldering an extension on into the sensor wire and moving the sensor outside the coach to get a little better direct/shot with the remote (rather than having to hold my arm up in the air and pointing it at the window.

In this picture you can see the awning LED's match the (red) LED's under our step nicely

Its tough to get the full effect while inside our storage bay (cant extend the awning more than about 1/4 of the entire depth. I'll get some more pictures this weekend when I'm at the Circuit of Americas LeMans race.

Don R.