cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

LED upgrade

Tom_M1
Explorer
Explorer
I took the plunge and updated several of my incandescent bulbs to LEDs. I didn't do anything with my fluorescent fixtures because they are quite efficient already. I purchased 14 of the circuit board type units, 10 warm-white and 4 white from eBay. The vendor is in China of course.
Here's a link to the eBay store: duan-led2010.
They are also known as 2011_led. It took 9 days for delivery.

10 pieces - Warm-white: 10x BA9S/T10/Festoon Dome LED Bulb Warm White 12-5050 SMD leds

2 pieces - White: 2pcs BA9S/T10/Festoon Dome LED Bulb White 12-5050 SMD LED panel

I placed the warm-white LEDs in my reading fixtures, and the white LEDs over my stove and in the porch light.

Here's some photos of the project:

LED board with plug attached.

I removed the wires and soldered the plug direct to the board and glued the plug in place.

I used PL-Premium to attach the plug. This stuff is the greatest.

Board plugged into reading fixture.

Shot comparing 921 bulb with LED. Shot at night with the single fixture turned on.

I checked the light output using a photographic light meter.

For the side-by-side comparisons, the camera was set for manual exposure, auto white balance off, and white balance set for daylight. The colors look quite different in the photos, but to the eye they seem much closer.

Voltage: 12.7 vdc
921 bulb current: 1.30 amps
LED module current: .17 amps
Measured with a Fluke 77 multimeter.

I'm quite pleased with the results.
Tom
2005 Born Free 24RB
170ah Renogy LiFePo4 drop-in battery 400 watts solar
Towing 2016 Mini Cooper convertible on tow dolly
Minneapolis, MN
15 REPLIES 15

Harvey51
Explorer
Explorer
I used the same ebay supplier. After 2 years I am still very happy with them.

Keep in mind that these low cost LED panels do not regulate the supply voltage. At the higher voltage we experience in RVs when on shore power (over 13 volts), these lights are much less efficient and they get hot, probably shortening their lifetimes.
2004 E350 Adventurer (Canadian) 20 footer - Alberta, Canada
No TV + 100W solar = no generator needed

sdf2
Explorer
Explorer
Now I understand what I need, all I need now if to find the best place to get it.
Steven D Frantz

tenbear
Explorer
Explorer
Kountryguy wrote:
You might take a look at these.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=310782651459&ssPageName=ADME:L:OU:US:3160

Have you used these? How much current do they draw?

I looked at the data sheet for the 3650 LED and it shows the typical light output is 34 lumins at 100ma. That is some serious light and current for 36-3650 lights. Also some serious heat (43 watts). 1224 lumins at 3.6 Amps. A 60 watt incandescent bulb is 880 lumins.

Surely they don't run these panels at this kind of current.

Edit: Having rethought this, they probably put 3 LEDs in series so the panel current would be 1/3 of what I said above. That makes it 1.2A and 14.3 watts. Better but still way high, close to the power of an 1141 bulb, but much brighter.
Class C, 2004/5 Four Winds Dutchman Express 28A, Chevy chassis
2010 Subaru Impreza Sedan
Camped in 45 states, 7 Provinces and 1 Territory

camperpaul
Explorer
Explorer
sdf2 wrote:
I took a look at the link. WOW how in the world do you decide which ones to order and use??

Take a look at this thread: "My LEDs"
Paul
Extra Class Ham Radio operator - K9ERG (since 1956)
Retired Electronics Engineer and Antenna Designer
Was a campground host at IBSP (2006-2010) - now retired.
Single - Full-timer
2005 Four Winds 29Q
2011 2500HD 6.0L GMC Denali (Gasser)

Kountryguy
Explorer
Explorer
You might take a look at these.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=310782651459&ssPageName=ADME:L:OU:US:3160

sdf2
Explorer
Explorer
I took a look at the link. WOW how in the world do you decide which ones to order and use??
Steven D Frantz

Tom_M1
Explorer
Explorer
Horizon170 wrote:
TomM, I take it the White is brighter/clearer than the Warm White, right? My lights look similar to THESE except with 1156 bulbs. Maybe I need something like THIS.
Thanks
A standard 1156 bulb puts out about 400 lumens of light. The LED bulb you reference is rated 150 lumens and is cool white which means a lot less light and it would have a bluish tinge. I think you would be better served with the panel type LEDs like the ones I used. The ones I bought did not come with an adapter for an 1156 type bulb. You can either look for ones with the proper adapter or do like I did for one of my fixtures and break a bulb and solder wires to the base. White and cool white LEDs will put out slightly more light than warm white but the difference is not all that great.

Here's a couple links to LEDs from the same outfit I used:
Warm white 24x5050
White 24x5050
Tom
2005 Born Free 24RB
170ah Renogy LiFePo4 drop-in battery 400 watts solar
Towing 2016 Mini Cooper convertible on tow dolly
Minneapolis, MN

tenbear
Explorer
Explorer
Horizon170 wrote:
TomM, I take it the White is brighter/clearer than the Warm White, right? My lights look similar to THESE except with 1156 bulbs. Maybe I need something like THIS.
Thanks

15 3528 LEDs will not be anywhere near as bright as the 1156 bulbs. 24 5050 or 48 3528 LEDs will be about the same brightness but will vary from manufacturer to manufacturer. Cool white could look somewhat blue. Warm white is about the same color as the 1156 bulbs.

Buy 1 or 2 of what you think will be right and try them out before buying more.

Horizon170
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks
Marvin

2010 Coachman Freelander 22TB on a
2008 Sprinter/Freightliner chassis
1995 Geo Tracker (Toad)

CaveRun
Explorer
Explorer
Great post!!!

Thanks for taking the time to make this thread!
John 3:16

1996 Hide Away Sun Lite Truck Camper
2003 31' Salem LE Forest River Travel Trailer
2013 Sun Tracker Bass Buggy 18 DLX Pontoon
2002 F-150 SuperCab V-8 4X4
Firestone Air Bags
Homemade Tie Down Mounts
Equal-i-zer WD Hitch

Beartoo
Explorer
Explorer
Great mod, thanks for all of the information.
DH - Bear
DW - Marge
Buster - English Springer Spaniel
Molly - English Springer Spaniel Puppy
07 Silverado 2500HD, Dmax, Allison Trany
Husky 15K
2008 Wildcat 24RL (Old Camper)
2009 Open Range 280 RLS (New)

tenbear
Explorer
Explorer
Good job! Its good to see some comparison based on actual measurements rather than someone's visual observations. I have replaced all my interior lights with LEDs and your results are what I would expect from my observations. I replaced 1141 bulbs with 36-1210 panels and 18-5050 cobs.

Heisenberg
Explorer
Explorer
I bought these for reading lamps over my couch. No more burnt fingers.
2013 Winnebago Sightseer
2017 Colorado

Johno02
Explorer
Explorer
looks good, I like the measurements also. I am replacing with LEDs also, as I can afford to. I replaced the spotlight bulb in one of our reading lights with a Revolution 1383-220 fro StarLights. Very expensive, $25, but a lot brighter and it does not get hot. The incandesent would burn you to the touch, not I can leave the LED on without worring about burning anything. The light is cool white, and is easy to read by.
Noel and Betty Johnson (and Harry)

2005 GulfStream Ultra Supreme, 1 Old grouch, 1 wonderful wife, and two silly poodles.