cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

McQuerry Trailer Conversion

woodgeezer
Explorer
Explorer
I'm going to leave this up to the Moderators on where to still this thread.

I have been bitten by the start from scratch bug. I have a Class C (third in line) have had two bumper pull trailers, own a 21ft haul trailer and a beefy van. BUT, I have restored things for the last thirty years. As long as it was wood, or something similar.

About 18 months ago, I got an old sheep camp back on the road. If you don't know what that is, Google will help. It was exceptional, with a lot of craftsmanship only seen in boat building.

So I have the virus. I want to build up a totally unique RV. Based on a Totally unique trailer. That trailer is a McQuerry, in line stock/horse trailer. Google, now.

I am thinking of shearing the top and starting from there down. It will be more of a tear drop concept to use the outdoors and the inside equally.

Well, I want your opinions, thoughts, and constructive criticisms. I am capable of doing all but the most technical electric, and metal fabrication. I have resources to do those things.

Anyone have a McQuerry, formeraly owned, or used one? Have you built a custom unit, and can give me clues on disasters, I am looking forward to, any advise will help.

BTW, I don't own, but have the line on the trailer.
2 REPLIES 2

woodgeezer
Explorer
Explorer
Right in both cases. I helped, or should I say, I was helped by the owner of a sheep camp from the 30's to get the trailer back on the road. It was a hoop and canvas top, in the traditional covered wagon style, not a hard shell. I bent a few new bows, added ribbing and devised a way to keep the canvas taunt.

My idea is to build up the trailer using the existing lower walls, and add a barrel top that over hangs the frame. The lower "outside" would be storage, and outdoor kitchen. I'll hinge one side for a tilt up living space and the other side would be the sleeping area.

What I would like to do is construct it with a rigid frame, covered with wood ship-lapped and hand riveted. Thought about shingling, but really don't want to have to cover it every time I want to move.

I guess I should have said, it will be for camping, boondocking only, as about half the time it will be far from civilization. I don't plan to Campground-camp as I am not interested in gawkers and guided tours.

noteven
Explorer III
Explorer III
Hi woodgeezer - I've given windshield think time to what is missing in the various rv's we have used - usually for us #1 is an efficient, effective, & quiet insulation & heating system.

When you say you have restored a sheep camp (which is a shepherd's living quarters wagon correct?) and are now looking at doing a project with a McQuerry trailer, do you mean a McQuerry full trailer with the axles at each end of the trailer, - not a bumper pull tag trailer or gooseneck trailer?

That would be a cool rv project.