cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Mounting Flat Screen TV and access to cabinet behind

OldFogie
Explorer
Explorer
At a RV show I saw a Class A RV that had a TV mounted in front of a cabinet opening and it was able to be lifted up to access the cabinet behind. I forgot the make of the RV.

Does anyone know if there is something like this that can be purchased or even what make of RV has something like it? I have not been able to find it by searching online.
2007 Bounder 35E
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee
1999 Jeep Wrangler
11 REPLIES 11

diveman52
Explorer
Explorer
It's easy to if your handy. Just did one on a Lazy Daz a couple of days ago. Cost about $10 bucks to create the hinged mount.
40+ Years in Electrical construction.
Retired IBEW Local 595
Every Days Saturday
2008 Newmar Dutch Star 4035

compint
Explorer
Explorer
The model you are looking for is from Forest River. They are putting the swing type in their new Georgetown, FR3 and others. I ordered one from a local dealer ($106) and will be trying to install in the next few weeks.

I will keep you posted.

Mike_and_Claudi
Explorer
Explorer
Yes--Super K. That is what I did, except I swung mine from the left. It must be because I am left handed. It has worked great for the past five years. I use two straps to hold it in place with two pieces of sponge ( 6x6x3") to keep it in place when I travel.

DW was really happy. She didn't believe I ad it in me!

superk
Explorer
Explorer
Im taking a slightly different approach to this. I have a rugged, heavy-duty articulating dual swing arm vesa mount that I plan on using. I am actually completing this mod (hopefully) today.

http://www.amazon.com/Cheetah-Articulating-23-Inch-49-Inch-Extension/dp/B001GTT0VO/ref=sr_1_6?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1426938577&sr=1-6&keywords=tv+mount

thats the mount im referring to.

I am making a 2x4 framework inside the old tv cabinet, screwing it to the passenger side plywood, then putting another peice of plywood over that to cover the framework and give it the strength of a 1 piece unit.

Essentially, I will be able to 'swing out' the tv, also will be able to position it wherever I like and articulate it to whatever angle I like, and it will be sturdy and WONT FALL ON MY FACE AS IM DRIVING AND HIT A POT HOLE lol.

total project cost (tv excluded, $40)

OldFogie
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks all. I may try building my own like most of you have done.
2007 Bounder 35E
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee
1999 Jeep Wrangler

Thunder_Mountai
Explorer II
Explorer II
I did that exact thing in our MH that had a RCA tube in the bedroom. Got a piece of plywood matched the stain, cut to fit, installed hinges and latches, drilled a hole for wiring and mounted a locking swing arm bracket to the front. I store the computer printer, etc. in the free space.
2016 Winnebago Journey 40R
2018 Rubicon
1982 FJ40 Toyota Land Cruiser
2020 Keystone Outback 327CG
2020 Dodge Ram 2500
Polaris RZR XP 1000
4 Cats
3 Dogs
1 Bottle of Jack Daniels
Two old hippies still trying to find ourselves!

lj_cox
Explorer
Explorer
We did this on our fifthwheel - pulled the old tube TV from the cabinet, used the existing decorative frame from the opening as the basis of a new cabinet door with a sturdy recessed plywood box in the center, piano hinge on one side and latch on the other. The TV bracket is secured with bolts through the plywood so the TV sits as far back as possible. Our printer goes in the space the TV used to occupy.
We're full-timing now, loving our cabin (fifthwheel) on the lake/at the beach/in the mountains/close to the city.

RTBabich
Explorer
Explorer
DrewE wrote:
... Another one looks pretty decent also....

This mount may be half of what I'm looking for.
We have a perfect spot for a 28" TV, but can't find a mount.
We have 2 chairs on the right side of our 2009 WW FB2100.
On the left side there is 8" between the top of the cabinets and roof.
I don't want to hang anything from the roof.
An L bracket that would attach to the top of the cabinet and wall would be very secure.
The TV would be stored flat, parallel to the ceiling, latched for travel.
Undo a latch, slide the TV out & rotate down in front of the cabinet.
Another pivot would allow tilting and rotating for viewing from the chairs or beds in the back.
Now I need to find a slide mount that I can attach this one to and work out some latches.
The above folding ceiling LCD TV mount is good for 17.6 lbs while a new 28" Vizio E280i weighs 7 lbs.
2009 Weekend Warrior, FB2100, 23ft, 7.5k, Maxxis ST225/75R15, Dexter EZ Flex, Equalizer 10k

AllegroD
Nomad
Nomad
On our previous coach, we removed the tube TV and installed an LCD. Because it was slight (about 1.5 inches) we surface mounted the LCD on covered, 3/4 plywood and used a piano hinge on the side. Reason we mounted the piano hinge on the side is we did not go to the extent of figuring out how large a bed lift strut we would need for the weight. We did aff a side cinching lock to ensure it would not swing open at the worst of times.

riven1950
Explorer
Explorer
On the TT I just sold I made that conversion. The TV spot was a hole ( cabinet w/o a door ) to put an old CRT TV in. I made a door, hinged from the top with a piano hinge. Mounted the new flat screen TV on the outside of the new swinging door using a standard TV wall mount. Drilled holes in back of the hinged door for the cables etc. Tricky part is figuring a way to hold the door up ( with TV on it ) to access inside of cabinet. I just used a prop stick as I only had the DVD player in there along with items that were not used often.

DrewE
Explorer II
Explorer II
The mounting attachments on flatscreen TVs are standardized, and there are many, many different mounts available.

This one might work if you don't want too big of a TV, for one example. Another one looks pretty decent also.

Some people have fit the television into the cabinet door as well.