cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Need a small breaker panel to finish Inverter Replacement

bigbillsd
Explorer
Explorer
I am looking for a small breaker panel that will take a 30amp main from my inverter output terminals and has room for at least 2 @ 20AMP breakers to protect the coach outlets. It needs to be surface mount and "pretty small" to fit into the inverter compartment area. The old inverter had two built in 20 amp circuit breakers for the output lines, the new higher capacity inverter does not have that feature so I need to protect those 120 volt circuits very close to those output terminals.

Here is a pic from the manual of the setup I circled the part in Yellow that is need to find a source to purchase it from.

-Bill
40' 2006 Tiffin Allegro Bus QDP
26 REPLIES 26

KD4UPL
Explorer
Explorer
You don't need a main. Your main between your power cord and inverter protects on shore power. Your inverter shut down circuits protect on inverter power. Is your inverter even capable of enough power to trip a 30A breaker?
If you really want one then get a 2 space breaker panel like the many that have been shown in this thread, install a "main" 30 in one slot and a tandem 20 in the other. Then wire the output of the main to the input lug of the other buss bar holding the tandem.

Colo_Native
Explorer
Explorer
I bought this same one for mine.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-EATON-Main-Lug-Load-Center-40AMPS-MAX-120V-AC-CA-BLK-RV-MOTORHOME-HOT-TUB-/232146891694?hash=item360d0873ae:g:B0EAAOSwA3dYLkMx
2015 Winnebago Forza 34T
pushed by a 2011 Fusion Hybrid or 2020 Escape Hybrid
Retired DFD

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
DrewE wrote:
(If it's running on inverter power, and not pass through, then presumably the inverter's protection circuits would limit current by shutting down.)
x2
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
bigbillsd wrote:
time2roll wrote:
You do not need a main as shown in the picture.

If there is no main, what would protect the inverter from both circuits pulling 20amps and overheating the 30amp circuit to the inverter? I understand that scenario probably shouldn't happen, But..
The 30 amp should trip before it overheats.

westend
Explorer
Explorer
The big-box home improvement stores have service disconnect boxes and small load centers. They sometimes clearance them because sales are low. I bought my last 75 amp load center for around $25, IIRC.

An alternative is to buy surface mount breakers and wire up the distribution from those. You can make it all look good by mounting the breakers on a piece of aluminum plate. Here's a good place to shop for circuit protection: Waytek Wire. Mounting three surface mount breakers will use about 1/8 -> 1/4 the space of a steel box. If you'll pay the price, the Cooper-Bussmann manual breakers are the way to go, they even sell a sealed Marine type (not necessary, IMO).
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

DrewE
Explorer II
Explorer II
bigbillsd wrote:
time2roll wrote:

If there is no main, what would protect the inverter from both circuits pulling 20amps and overheating the 30amp circuit to the inverter? I understand that scenario probably shouldn't happen, But..

The 30A breaker in the main RV panel that feeds the inverter does precisely this. That breaker is needed; a main breaker for the subpanel is superfluous. (If it's running on inverter power, and not pass through, then presumably the inverter's protection circuits would limit current by shutting down.) If one's still worried, use 8 gauge wire rather than 10 gauge wire between the inverter and the subpanel and it won't be overloaded even if 40A is flowing.

mbrower
Explorer
Explorer
May not work for your needs, but my setup is similar and I used twenty amp inline fuses to protect my outlets. Not as convenient as circuit breakers but fit in a very small space. You can purchase 120VAC fuses at appliance repair stores.
2001 Chevy 3500 Big Dooley 8.1L (496 Cubes)Allison 5sp 4:10
2008 KZ Montego Bay 37RLB-4

bigbillsd
Explorer
Explorer
time2roll wrote:

40' 2006 Tiffin Allegro Bus QDP

MrWizard
Maybe this

Here 5"/3"/9"

https://www.superbreakers.net/qo24l70s.html?gclid=CNje9sGgi9ICFVKVfgodElEOyA
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

agesilaus
Explorer III
Explorer III
Look here: Amazon
Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2018 RAM 2500 6.7L 4WD shortbed
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper

GordonThree
Explorer
Explorer
Hi Bill,

I found a very small "Homeline" panel, two space four circuit. Ordered it from the home depot website.

Part # HOM24L70SCP

2013 KZ Sportsmen Classic 200, 20 ft TT
2020 RAM 1500, 5.7 4x4, 8 speed