cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

New ceiling lights

TNGW1500SE
Explorer
Explorer
I added 2 of these LED lights from Home Depot to my ceiling. They're 120 volt and dim-able. When you turn them up they are killer bright. Great for cleaning and working on the RV. They don't stick down far and look factory. Now I have great lighting when I need it.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Lithonia-Lighting-Versi-Lite-White-LED-Mini-Flushmount-4000K-FMML-7-840/2...

8 REPLIES 8

Harvey51
Explorer
Explorer
They look great, perfect for the RV with shore power.

For the stick house, I suspect the 660 lumens will not be enough.
A T8 fluorescent tube has 2850 lumens and lights generally have pairs of them totalling 5700.
2004 E350 Adventurer (Canadian) 20 footer - Alberta, Canada
No TV + 100W solar = no generator needed

diveman52
Explorer
Explorer
Interesting
Did you install a ceiling box behind it our just splice the wires in the ceiling??? ( a big NO NO)
40+ Years in Electrical construction.
Retired IBEW Local 595
Every Days Saturday
2008 Newmar Dutch Star 4035

beemerphile1
Explorer
Explorer
Did you look inside? There may be a converter/transformer changing the 120VAC to 12VDC. If so, it could be eliminated and then operate the light directly from 12VDC.
Build a life you don't need a vacation from.

2016 Silverado 3500HD DRW D/A 4x4
2018 Keystone Cougar 26RBS
2006 Weekend Warrior FK1900

Sandia_Man
Explorer II
Explorer II
Nice mod, love that they are dimmable. I see where I might get a couple of these for home. When we converted to 12Vdc LEDs in our rig several years ago I was worried about how dim they might be compared to the incandescent bulbs they were replacing. Much to my surprise they gave off the same warm light but were much brighter as well, more than likely because we primarily used flatpanel LEDs throughout. Since then we just use one side of each dual lamp receptacle, having both sides lit was just too bright for our taste, felt like we had to shield our eyes from the sun.

TNGW1500SE
Explorer
Explorer
Bob Vaughn wrote:
How did you wire the light and switch ? All my 120 volt wires are located in the walls and then there would be a night mare getting a wire routed to the ceiling....

I ran these using a plastic wire cover. They only had to run a foot or so to a cabinet. Then to a 110 power source in the cabinet. I operate it with a wireless remote switch. I have ran wiring in the overhead duct-work before but this time I just ran it along the ceiling and covered it.

One trick I used in my bedroom was that I used a 1x4 that I routered a grove into along it's length. The wire hides in the groove between the ceiling and the wood. I stapled fabric to the 1x4 on the top of one side, glued 1/4" foam to the bottom (used pink sill sealer from home depot). Then I fastened the wood to the ceiling with screws. I pulled the fabric tight around it and stuffed the loose fabric end in the other side with a butter knife. Looks factory. Even decorated the RV up a little.

TNGW1500SE
Explorer
Explorer
RoyB wrote:
Assuming you still have your 12VDC ceiling lights installed to work when you are not using shore power or generator...

They are there for a reason haha...

Roy Ken

Yep,,, still there and just as dim as ever.

Bob_Vaughn
Explorer
Explorer
How did you wire the light and switch ? All my 120 volt wires are located in the walls and then there would be a night mare getting a wire routed to the ceiling....

RoyB
Explorer II
Explorer II
Assuming you still have your 12VDC ceiling lights installed to work when you are not using shore power or generator...

They are there for a reason haha...

Roy Ken
My Posts are IMHO based on my experiences - Words in CAPS does not mean I am shouting
Roy - Carolyn
RETIRED DOAF/DON/DOD/CONTR RADIO TECH (42yrs)
K9PHT (Since 1957) 146.52M
2010 F150, 5.4,3:73 Gears,SCab
2008 Starcraft 14RT EU2000i GEN
2005 Flagstaff 8528RESS