cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Painting over wallpaper

GreetingsFrom
Explorer
Explorer
I was wondering if anyone has ever painted over the RV wallpaper?

I have a Thor Four Winds and contemplating painting the RV wallpaper. What type of paint would be best if I were to do this?
22 REPLIES 22

Oldme
Explorer
Explorer
Three year ago I used Kilz latex base primer (tinted to the top coat color),
then Bear latex paint.

No problems at all.

Forgot to add:
Light sanding to break the surface gloss of the wallpaper.

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
doxiemom11 wrote:
We like the Zinser Bullseye primer sealant better than Kilz. Used Kilz for years, then the store was out when we needed some so bought the Zinser - it was thicker and covered better. Didn't seem to stink as much either.

That is a good product also.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

doxiemom11
Explorer II
Explorer II
We like the Zinser Bullseye primer sealant better than Kilz. Used Kilz for years, then the store was out when we needed some so bought the Zinser - it was thicker and covered better. Didn't seem to stink as much either.

Bird_Freak
Explorer II
Explorer II
riven1950 wrote:

Have you actually slept in a house where you used this? I am trying to figure out why what you say is so different from my experience.

Yes, Painted all the ceilings in my S&B this past Spring in preparation for new carpet. Had some staining from blowing Hurricane winds / rain in past. Covered all stains 100%. We had windows / doors open during priming and slept in the house each night after painting. We did one room per day, primed, waited a few hours, painted over, slept like a baby ๐Ÿ™‚

Used on several mobile homes with the fabric walls and severe nicotine staining. Works great, even will work on wood paneling.
We also used the same in our S&B as well as the camper with no problem with smells.
Eddie
03 Fleetwood Pride, 36-5L
04 Ford F-250 Superduty
15K Pullrite Superglide
Old coach 04 Pace Arrow 37C with brakes sometimes.
Owner- The Toy Shop-
Auto Restoration and Customs 32 years. Retired by a stroke!
We love 56 T-Birds

riven1950
Explorer
Explorer

Have you actually slept in a house where you used this? I am trying to figure out why what you say is so different from my experience.

Yes, Painted all the ceilings in my S&B this past Spring in preparation for new carpet. Had some staining from blowing Hurricane winds / rain in past. Covered all stains 100%. We had windows / doors open during priming and slept in the house each night after painting. We did one room per day, primed, waited a few hours, painted over, slept like a baby ๐Ÿ™‚

Used on several mobile homes with the fabric walls and severe nicotine staining. Works great, even will work on wood paneling.

Bird_Freak
Explorer II
Explorer II
riven1950 wrote:
http://www.kilz.com/primer/v/index.jsp?vgnextoid=6d0adb233122d310VgnVCM100000176310acRCRD

This is from the Kilz website. As I said before, put up with the oil based primer smell / fumes for 24 hours and you will get a better job in the end.
This is exactly what we did with our 5er and it turned out great.
Eddie
03 Fleetwood Pride, 36-5L
04 Ford F-250 Superduty
15K Pullrite Superglide
Old coach 04 Pace Arrow 37C with brakes sometimes.
Owner- The Toy Shop-
Auto Restoration and Customs 32 years. Retired by a stroke!
We love 56 T-Birds

Naio
Explorer
Explorer
The water based Kilz is good but I would not use it on wallpaper since the glue will loosen with water based primer.

Hmmm... when I have used it over wallpaper it has never loosened. I suppose it depends on the paper?

Looks like a good case for testing everything! Inside a closet ;).
3/4 timing in a DIY van conversion. Backroads, mountains, boondocking, sometimes big cities for a change of pace.

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
Naio wrote:
Cummins12V98 wrote:
Naio wrote:
I really regretted using the oil based version of Killz indoors. And that was in an S&B house! I don't think it would be possible to sleep in the RV for at least 6 months, and more likely 12.
Not true the odor will dissipate quickly with proper ventilation and you can cover with your latex pain soon after the kilz is applied.

I would not sleep there the same day but surely not 6 months as you suggested. Let it dry it does not take long, a few hours. Then paint over with Latex. All with good ventilation. Yes I have done this.

I agree it's strong stuff but with proper ventilation it's a great product. The water based Kilz is good but I would not use it on wallpaper since the glue will loosen with water based primer.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's

Naio
Explorer
Explorer
Cummins12V98 wrote:
Naio wrote:
I really regretted using the oil based version of Killz indoors. And that was in an S&B house! I don't think it would be possible to sleep in the RV for at least 6 months, and more likely 12.
Not true the odor will dissipate quickly with proper ventilation and you can cover with your latex pain soon after the kilz is applied.

3/4 timing in a DIY van conversion. Backroads, mountains, boondocking, sometimes big cities for a change of pace.

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
Naio wrote:

Naio
Explorer
Explorer

I guess, from this thread, that the fumes do not bother some people as much. But I see no advantage to using the oil based, and a huge potential disadvantage. So why risk it?

Back in the day, 30-40 years ago, oil based primers stuck on better than water based ones. But, in my professional experience, that has not been true for a long time.

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
riven1950 wrote:
http://www.kilz.com/primer/v/index.jsp?vgnextoid=6d0adb233122d310VgnVCM100000176310acRCRD

This is from the Kilz website. As I said before, put up with the oil based primer smell / fumes for 24 hours and you will get a better job in the end.

Yup! Beat me to it, best product out there. Hold your breath.

riven1950
Explorer
Explorer

coolmom42
Explorer
Explorer
I would rough up the surface with some fine grit sandpaper, then wash it with TSP. Use a WATER BASE PRIMER to keep odor down. Make sure the primer sticks well, as the post above says.
Single empty-nester in Middle TN, sometimes with a friend or grandchild on board