cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

pd charge wizard question

etrippe
Explorer
Explorer
We live in our mh and when plugged into shore power should the charge wizard be in "normal mode" or "storage mode" ? Shouldn't the mh be draining the batteries just a little while parked and plugged in shore power? My start battery is 1 year old and was dead the other day when I tried to start up. Which started my investigation into the converter and charge wizard. It was then in "storage mode"
I used the "aux start" switch and the mh started up. I cleaned the battery connections at the start battery (they weren't bad) and watched the wizards light sequence. It went into "boost mode" for awhile and then into "normal mode". After about 30 hours it went back into "storage mode". That is where it is now.

(changed coach battery to start battery)

ok, what charges or keeps charged the start battery when sitting plugged into shore power for extended periods of time?
10 REPLIES 10

IAMICHABOD
Explorer II
Explorer II
smkettner wrote:
Wizard storage mode or normal mode is fine while in use. Converter supplies all 12v power while plugged in. Wizard is automatic. Just let it do it's thing.

To prevent starting issues, you need a Trik-L-Start combiner to send some charge power to the chassis battery.

Or you can get a BIRD
Mine came with a Bi-Directional Isolator Relay Delay or a BIRD as they are called.

This allows me to charge ALL the batteries,Coach and Chassis,at one time while plugged in.
The controller also senses heavy loads on either battery to prevent the wrong battery from being inadvertently discharged
2006 TIOGA 26Q CHEVY 6.0 WORKHORSE VORTEC
Former El Monte RV Rental
Retired Teamster Local 692
Buying A Rental Class C

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
Wizard storage mode or normal mode is fine while in use. Converter supplies all 12v power while plugged in. Wizard is automatic. Just let it do it's thing.

To prevent starting issues, you need a Trik-L-Start combiner to send some charge power to the chassis battery.

BarneyS
Explorer III
Explorer III
I have had a PD converter with the Charge Wizard on my trailers since about 1998. I don't check the display very often because it is not necessary. The Charge Wizard takes care of the battery completely and all I do is check the water level about once a month or so.

Ours stays plugged in 24/7 for about 6 months of the year. The rest of the time is either spent moving or sitting in storage where the batteries stay on the tongue but are disconnected via a discnnect switch. Never had a single problem and the batteries last about 6 or 7 years or more.
Barney
2004 Sunnybrook Titan 30FKS TT
Hensley "Arrow" 1400# hitch (Sold)
Not towing now.
Former tow vehicles were 2016 Ram 2500 CTD, 2002 Ford F250, 7.3 PSD, 1997 Ram 2500 5.9 gas engine

wwest
Explorer
Explorer
etrippe wrote:
Thanks for the replies however still wondering. Anybody out there w/ a charge wizard? what does yours read when plugged into shore power using lights, a water pump and fans, all of with are 12 volt. Does it go into "storage mode" ?

When plugged in to shore power the house battery is completely isolated from the load. The PD supplies "load" power while separately charging the battery. Once the PD detects a fully charge battery it will go into "storage"/maintenance mode

IAMICHABOD
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have a PD9245 with a Charge Wizard and when it is plugged in it stays in the Normal Mode.13.6 with nothing on and when running fans and such it drops to about 13.1 but stays in the normal mode.

The only time that it will go into the Boost mode is when I have been Boondocking with no power for a while and I start the Onan up it will go in to Boost mode at 14.4 until it is back to at least 90 percent.

The only time it goes into storage mode is if is setting home plugged in and it hasn't moved or any power used for a few days.

I Don't know if you have a chart or not but THIS explains it pretty well.
2006 TIOGA 26Q CHEVY 6.0 WORKHORSE VORTEC
Former El Monte RV Rental
Retired Teamster Local 692
Buying A Rental Class C

etrippe
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the replies however still wondering. Anybody out there w/ a charge wizard? what does yours read when plugged into shore power using lights, a water pump and fans, all of with are 12 volt. Does it go into "storage mode" ?

Chopperbob
Explorer
Explorer
Get a trickle start.

RoyB
Explorer II
Explorer II
I always get confused here when folks are using COACH and HOUSE names for the battery systems.

I always call the battery for the truck the START or TRUCK battery. To me its only function is to start the truck and run the truck electronic systems. I try to never tap into the truck system as that is my way to get back home haha...

Sounds like your Progressive Dynamics Charger is seeing a charged up battery...

I monitor my TRAILER batteries with a BATTERY MONITOR PANEL that reads actual DC VOLTAGES. Then there is no mistake on what the battery system is doing.

Just my thoughts
Roy Ken
My Posts are IMHO based on my experiences - Words in CAPS does not mean I am shouting
Roy - Carolyn
RETIRED DOAF/DON/DOD/CONTR RADIO TECH (42yrs)
K9PHT (Since 1957) 146.52M
2010 F150, 5.4,3:73 Gears,SCab
2008 Starcraft 14RT EU2000i GEN
2005 Flagstaff 8528RESS

Matt_Colie
Explorer
Explorer
If by coach battery you mean the house battery, then that is part of the issue. Few motorhomes start the main engine on the house battery. That should be what the PD is taking care off and the chassis battery is not. There are devices that can be fit so the main engine start (chassis) gets taken care of by the house bank system.

I put a lot of these in performance cruisers (retired racing sailboats) before the depression ended our business.

Matt
Matt & Mary Colie
A sailor, his bride and their black dogs (one dear dog is waiting for us at the bridge) going to see some dry places that have Geocaches in a coach made the year we married.

richheck
Explorer
Explorer
I believe the PD charge wizard is probable only connected to your house battery bank and not the coach battery. Usually the two battery systems are isolated from each other until you connect both with your "boost mode".
2013 Ford F-350 4WD DWD 6.7PSD
2010 Jeep Wrangler
2017 Landmark 365 Arlington