Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Propane extension

pennstaterv
Explorer
Explorer
Hello All ---

Been searching around for this topic and there seems to be some conflicting info... so asking for personal experience with tapping into an RV propane line...

My 5er has two 20# propane tanks with the standard auto-switching regulator. I am looking to plumb in at least one outdoor propane line to be used with our griddle and possibly small grill or heater.

I've read about people tee-ing in and successfully doing this, and others who say that the low-pressure output of the regulator will not support an outdoor grill.

From what I can tell, my propane griddle came with a regulator that has an output pressure of 11" W.C. and 95,000 btu.

Thoughts? If possible, I'd like to plumb it in after the RV regulator so I can have the benefit of both propane tanks. I understand I can get an extend-a-stay or what not and plumb in before the regulator, but then I am at the mercy of only one tank.

Thanks!
13 REPLIES 13

C_Schomer
Explorer
Explorer
It sounds like your grill is meant to run on 11" orifice pressure so connecting to the RV low side should work. You'll have high fire all the time unless you have another control valve on the grill to cut the orifice pressure down for lower heat. I have a Marshall 2 stage reg that has a pipe nipple between the first stage reg/changeover and the second stage reg and I have 18 psi at that point. I teed in there with a 25' hose and that's enough pressure to operate my grill that has it's own reg so I can still use that reg for the heat control. Craig
2012 Dodge 3500 DRW CCLB 4wd, custom hauler bed.
2008 Sunnybrook Titan 30 RKFS Morryde and Disc brakes
WILL ROGERS NEVER MET JOE BIDEN!

myredracer
Explorer II
Explorer II
I did the exact same thing with our Roadtrip grill and it works great. Using two regulators in series won't work, thus the need to remove the one on the grill. The needed fittings and hose are readily available but had to go to several different places here for them. Our TT had a capped tee underneath and I would look to see if there is one underneath already. If not, perhaps you can add a tee where the iron pipe converts to copper for the furnace, fridge or WH. I initially used a 1/4" hose but later replaced with a 3/8" to reduce the pressure drop at the grill and got one that is more flexible. The 2nd pic is what I did on a previous TT and I ran a 1/2" hose to where the tee was and installed the quick connector at the very rear of our TT.

Don't particularly like the Coleman grill and would get a Weber next time.

Gene&Ginny wrote:
pennstaterv wrote:
... my propane griddle came with a regulator that has an output pressure of 11" W.C. and 95,000 btu. ....
The auto changeover and regulator on RVs has 11" W.C. output to feed the stove, fridge, and furnace. You need to remove the regulator from the grill and use the low pressure from the RV directly to the grill. I did that with my Coleman Roadtrip grill. I have a long hose from my grill that I plug into the existing quick connect on the trailer. No messing with extra tanks or high pressure connections.

GASMAN6674
Explorer
Explorer
gotsmart wrote:
GASMAN6674 wrote:
If your grill,hotplate, griddle etc runs on 11"WC (approx 6.35oz) then go for it. Most of the "portable" grills use the disposable bottles and the fixture that it screws into on the appliance is the regulator (usually has the flame adjustment on it) If your grill has a conventional regulator or has individual burner controls you should be able to remove the oem hose and connect to your RV's quick disconnect.On the disposable bottle units unless there is a "factory" kit to convert to low pressure it is best to tee in ahead of your RV's regulator and use the existing appliance hose.

Hmmm. I have an 15+ year old Coleman camp stove (burner on the right, grill on the left) and a Stay-A-While Deluxe adapter on my MH. I plug the Stay-A-While's gas grill hose into the Coleman grill where the propane bottle would normally go. It works perfect as is - no conversion kit needed. The flame height and heat output on my Coleman is the same as if the grill was running on a 1 quart bottle.

Your stay awhile is probably hooked up between the regulator and tank which is hi pressure. If you hooked up a standard BBQ regulator directly to where the disposable cylinder connects you would have little or no flame. Its all about pressure.
Jim & Debbie England
Do you have Gas? Propane Exceptional Energy
2015 F350 CCLB 6.2L/4:30 Vermilion Red
2020 Cougar 364BHLGone but not forgotten 2012 Ridgeline 34RLT fifth wheel/2012 V27FK V-Cross TT

gotsmart
Explorer
Explorer
GASMAN6674 wrote:
If your grill,hotplate, griddle etc runs on 11"WC (approx 6.35oz) then go for it. Most of the "portable" grills use the disposable bottles and the fixture that it screws into on the appliance is the regulator (usually has the flame adjustment on it) If your grill has a conventional regulator or has individual burner controls you should be able to remove the oem hose and connect to your RV's quick disconnect.On the disposable bottle units unless there is a "factory" kit to convert to low pressure it is best to tee in ahead of your RV's regulator and use the existing appliance hose.

Hmmm. I have an 15+ year old Coleman camp stove (burner on the right, grill on the left) and a Stay-A-While Deluxe adapter on my MH. I plug the Stay-A-While's gas grill hose into the Coleman grill where the propane bottle would normally go. It works perfect as is - no conversion kit needed. The flame height and heat output on my Coleman is the same as if the grill was running on a 1 quart bottle.
2005 Cruise America 28R (Four Winds 28R) on a 2004 Ford E450 SD 6.8L V10 4R100
2009 smart fortwo Passion with Roadmaster "Falcon 2" towbar & tail light kit - pictures

Blue_Hill
Explorer
Explorer
pennstaterv wrote:
Gene&Ginny wrote:
pennstaterv wrote:
... my propane griddle came with a regulator that has an output pressure of 11" W.C. and 95,000 btu. ....
The auto changeover and regulator on RVs has 11" W.C. output to feed the stove, fridge, and furnace. You need to remove the regulator from the grill and use the low pressure from the RV directly to the grill. I did that with my Coleman Roadtrip grill. I have a long hose from my grill that I plug into the existing quick connect on the trailer. No messing with extra tanks or high pressure connections.

thanks... that was my next question --- this is exactly what I want to do

+1 what Gene and Ginny said. I have quick connectors teed into the main propane line that feeds furnace, fridge, etc at both ends of my trailer. One came with the trailer and the other, I teed in where it branched off to the water heater. Both have valves and QC fittings. I took the regulator off of my Camp Chef 90000 btu stove and run it direct with no problems.
2011 Gulfstream Streamlite Sport 25TSS
2011 Chevrolet Silverado 1500
Honda EU3000IS

pennstaterv
Explorer
Explorer
GASMAN6674 wrote:

Thanks Gasman, this makes a lot of sense.... are you saying if I hooked up the disposable bottle ones, the gas would be double regulated and give problems?

my griddle has a separate regulator, so I will hook that up with a quick connect. My small bbq grill takes the small propane cans, so you're saying I would be better off tapping that one in directly from the propane canister...

GASMAN6674
Explorer
Explorer
Jim & Debbie England
Do you have Gas? Propane Exceptional Energy
2015 F350 CCLB 6.2L/4:30 Vermilion Red
2020 Cougar 364BHLGone but not forgotten 2012 Ridgeline 34RLT fifth wheel/2012 V27FK V-Cross TT

pennstaterv
Explorer
Explorer
Gene&Ginny wrote:
pennstaterv wrote:

thanks... that was my next question --- this is exactly what I want to do

Gene_Ginny
Explorer
Explorer
pennstaterv wrote:
Gene and DW Ginny
[purple] 2008 Toyota 4Runner 4.7L V8 w/factory towing option
2002 Sunline Solaris Lite T2363[/purple]

Reese Dual Cam Straight Line HP Sway Control

Proud member of the Sunline Club

pennstaterv
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the quick responses... Sounds like either option would work.

I think I'm going to try tee-ing off with some shut off valves and give it a whirl.

Thanks!

WyoTraveler
Explorer
Explorer
The low pressure hose take off is after the regulator. Camco sells an adapter kit. Remove your BBQ regulator add the Camco valve and quick connect. Suggest Camco because althougb any propane sells hoses and connectors they are not universal. Stick with Camco.

jasult
Explorer
Explorer
i use the extended stay and yes at mercy of one tank but no big deal. It only takes few minutes to switch over to other tank. I use the weber baby q
Jim & Georgeanne + Lucie the beagle
"excavator" on the DieselStop.Com
1999 F350 CC LB Hydra chip
1996 F250 Powerstroke, Tony tunes, BTS trans
1995 Fleetwood Wildness 30 ft 5ver

Our Camping Pics and 5ver Album here
Our Gettysburg trip 2010
Williamsburg, Va

DennisG9
Explorer
Explorer
I have 3 taps on mine.

1 for when I am set up for long stays I have 3 #100 tanks. Cable them up to the rear ladder and run 2 on auto switch over regulators.

2 & 3 are under side below water heater where I hook up my BBQ.

All are on 1/2 in. tee's and equipped with shut off valves. BBQ works very well on this set up.