cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Proper method to install tie down anchors on roof?

juggledog
Explorer
Explorer
I need to install some tie down anchors on the edge of my RV roof. Here are the ones I'm thinking of purchasing:

https://www.amazon.com/Aluminum-Cleat-Cargo-Anchor-Trailer/dp/B00R57781U/

I'm nervous to drill into the roof, this is my first RV. It's a 2005 Class C Fourwinds 5000.

Can someone please explain the proper step by step method I need to follow to properly install these (like how do I find the side frame on the roof to make sure I'm drilling into the proper place?), and make sure the holes don't end up leaking (what product to use for sealant, etc). I'm a complete newbie.

thank you
15 REPLIES 15

agesilaus
Explorer III
Explorer III
Link to cleats: Amazon

You would want to use Dicor sealant under the cleats: Dicor

I'd use the largest self tapping screw that fits into the holes on the cleats. Maybe 1 1/2" long but you don't want to go thru the roof so that may be too long. Something like this: Screw

However my concern is just what do you plan to carry up there, how much does it weigh. That roof is not designed to be load bearing. And I have my doubts about how strong those cleats will be. Don't forget you are going to have the wind load to deal with besides the weight of whatever you carry. At 60 mph that wind load can be substantial.

If I was installing them on a boat I would drill thru the roof and put a metal backing plate in on the ceiling side with machine screws passing thru the roof. Not practical in this case.
Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2018 RAM 2500 6.7L 4WD shortbed
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper