cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Question about leveling trailer

SuperDuty6_0
Explorer
Explorer
New to forum...hoping someone can answer my questions. So, I just completed a spring over axle conversion on my fifth wheel (converted to gooseneck) and wondering if I can move one end of each leaf spring, higher up into the hanger, by drilling new holes. I realize that would only lower the trailer one half of the distance...I plan on moving the holes 1 3/4" higher, effectively lowering the trailer 7/8". Will this have any adverse consequences? I can't mover the center shackle up any higher. I'm scared of screwing something up. Lol. Thanks for any insight.
2001 Travelaire TW248...converted to gooseneck
2005 F-350 4x4 cc/lb dually...tow vehicle
7 REPLIES 7

SuperDuty6_0
Explorer
Explorer
Trying a pic here...

SuperDuty6_0
Explorer
Explorer
BarneyS wrote:
I am not a tire engineer or any kind of engineer but I do know that the ends of the springs work in concert with each other and the hight of the ends relationship with each other has an effect on how the wheels act - something to do with "rake and trail" or something like that. I would check with a frame shop or trailer builder to find out before making any kind of change like you propose.
Barney

Something to think about. Thanks for that. More than likely, I will leave things the way they are.

SCClockDr
Explorer
Explorer
Lengthen the gooseneck the appropriate amount. Be sure to load the trailer and truck prior to taking your measurements. The shackle brackets have a 2 or 2.5" pipe welded between the flats for stiffening that will interfere with your plan.
George & Cathy
08 Titanium 28E33SA, XM, Honda EU 3000is, Trimetric, RotoChocks, LP Reg. Mod, 2 Gal Accum., WiFiRanger GO2/Mobile
04 Ram 3500 5.9 DRW, PAC PRXB E/B, 4" MBRP SS Exhaust, Gauges, Aux Tank/box, BrakeSmart.
ETCS (ss) USN Ret

BarneyS
Explorer III
Explorer III
I am not a tire engineer or any kind of engineer but I do know that the ends of the springs work in concert with each other and the hight of the ends relationship with each other has an effect on how the wheels act - something to do with "rake and trail" or something like that. I would check with a frame shop or trailer builder to find out before making any kind of change like you propose.
Barney
2004 Sunnybrook Titan 30FKS TT
Hensley "Arrow" 1400# hitch (Sold)
Not towing now.
Former tow vehicles were 2016 Ram 2500 CTD, 2002 Ford F250, 7.3 PSD, 1997 Ram 2500 5.9 gas engine

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
let the air out of the tires? put on smaller tires.
bumpy

SuperDuty6_0
Explorer
Explorer
That's something I keep asking myself...pain being a perfectionist. Lol

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
why all the trouble to lower the TT less than one inch?
bumpy