cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Questions before I start removing the carpet

RnTBnB
Explorer
Explorer
I'm thinking of replacing the carpet down the center of the living area of our 5er with some type of vinyl product. Before I start this project I would like to know how the carpet is attached to the floor at the rear of the trailer, under the overlapping slide carpet and around the cabinetry. Since my trailer is stored about an hour from home I would also like to know what tools I will need to remove the carpet. Thanks in advance for your help.
Robert, Teri, Buddy, & Bitsy
2014 Infinity 3610RL 5th Wheel
2007 Chevy 2500HD Classic Duramax/Allison
15 REPLIES 15

DennisG9
Explorer
Explorer
carpetguy2 wrote:
DennisG9 wrote:
Carpyouy2,

What is the trick to wrapping thaof the slide? Other than removing it.

Mine is 2 in tall so I figured on spitting the difference and run a wood trim piece across the front of the nose leaving the underrap in place.

So many trim pieces you can use.Some stair noses we use are aluminum with a wood grain that covers about 2"

Thank you !

carpetguy2
Explorer
Explorer
DennisG9 wrote:
Carpyouy2,

What is the trick to wrapping thaof the slide? Other than removing it.

Mine is 2 in tall so I figured on spitting the difference and run a wood trim piece across the front of the nose leaving the underrap in place.

So many trim pieces you can use.Some stair noses we use are aluminum with a wood grain that covers about 2"
2007.5 chevy 3500 ltz CC LB Duramax
2016 Open range 3x378
Some other toys too

carpetguy2
Explorer
Explorer
RnTBnB wrote:
Carpetguy2, do you mean an ice scraper like I use all winter to get frost off my windshield?! I never would have thought of that! Thanks for the tip.

No.Like you would use on your drive way or sidewalk
Get one at menards. Etc.
try to get the dullest one you can find too.
2016 Open range 3x378
Some other toys too

DennisG9
Explorer
Explorer
Carpetguy2,

What is the trick to wrapping the nose of the slide? Other than removing it.

RnTBnB
Explorer
Explorer
That's really a good-looking floor and it goes great with the color scheme! I hope my project turns out as well. Thanks for the pictures.

old_idaho_guy
Explorer
Explorer
New floor
Here is the link to what I did and some pictures

old_idaho_guy
Explorer
Explorer
X2 on the number of staples. We replaced the carpet with Allure vinal from Home Depot. I just did it a few weeks ago so I haven't had time to see if there are any problems.

RnTBnB
Explorer
Explorer
Carpetguy2, do you mean an ice scraper like I use all winter to get frost off my windshield?! I never would have thought of that! Thanks for the tip.

carpetguy2
Explorer
Explorer
Slice the carpet in sections .Easier to carry.
if carpet is under cabinets.Keep a sharp blade cut along the edges on a angle .
Get your self a ice scraper and use that to pop up staples I do it every day.
laugh at people that they said spent hours to pull staples when it only takes minutes.
2016 Open range 3x378
Some other toys too

donn0128
Explorer II
Explorer II
RnTBnB wrote:
Thanks, donn0128! I love the part about the installer getting paid by the number of staples he uses! What did you replace your carpet with?

Still living with carpet. I don't mind cleaning it a few time a year. One of these days I might have to tear the old out and replace it, but binding around the front of the living room slide is going to cost me a bundle, so I will enjoy what I have for as long as I can.
Did re-carpet a Holiday Rambler trailer a few years back. Took two of us two full days to get it done with all the cutting and fitting. And that was pre-slide out days.

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
No vinyl flooring under our carpet except for about 1 foot overrun from kitchen flooring.

We replaced kitchen linoleum with new linoleum
We recarpeted the living room and both slides.
We had an independent flooring guy lay the new stuff.
Slide out carpet was cut to fit plus 2" extra then taken to shop where leading edges were bound for a clean edge. Then they came back couple days later to install.

Stairs/hallway/bedroom carpet wasn't changed.
The flooring replacement in kitchen/living room was done due to MAJOR water leak. Hot water line blew off back of water heater (under kitchen cabinet) during the night. Flooded the rig....water pouring out under slides and 2" standing (flowing) water when dog woke us BARKING.

I ripped out the carpet/padding and linoleum to SAVE the subfloor
Only took me 10 minutes as I wasn't being too 'gentle' about it. Utility knife and had at it :B
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

RnTBnB
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks, donn0128! I love the part about the installer getting paid by the number of staples he uses! What did you replace your carpet with?

RnTBnB
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks, Old-Biscuit. I was afraid the cabinets were set on top of the carpet, because that would greatly simplify the original build. What did you replace the carpet with? Did you only replace the main floor area, or did you do something with the slides, too? Can you give me an idea of how long to plan for the whole job, from ripping out the carpet to finish putting down the vinyl? Are your steps carpeted, or are they wood? Mine are carpeted, but I'm considering installing wood treads.

donn0128
Explorer II
Explorer II
Typically there is a layer of vinyl flooring laid down first. Then it there is carpet over part of the area. Then base cabinets are installed right over everything. Carpet is generally laid by somebody with an air stapler who gets paid by the number of staples he uses per day. There will be literally thousands of staples everywhere. A pair of side cutters, a 3 inch wide putty knife, a good razor knife, and a straight blade screwdriver and hammer should be all you will need. Don't forget your knee pads. Use the putty knife to slide across the entire floor and the screwdriver and side cutters to pull all staples found.