cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Repairing soft spot in RV roof

Frankandbeans
Explorer
Explorer
OK, first off I apologize as I know this is not a new topic. However, the standard "search, it's been covered x amount of times" is rather quite useless when the links are 5+ years old and none of the pictures work. I have roughly a 1.5' square foot soft spot in the corner of my toy hauler. I can tell it leaked right at one of the seams, as there is undoubtedly a clear, straight line where the roof is solid then gets soft. I did find a small tear in the EDPM roof (branch or something must have tore it since I checked it in the beginning of the year).

So my question is:

How exactly do I make the cut into the roof to access the rotten wood to replace it? Should I cut a "H" pattern? I can probably figure out how to replace the wood once I get to that point, but my question is how/what do I use to glue/repair the EDPM roof? Is it acceptable to use Eternabond and just "seal" the roof back together? I am still trying to figure out what the "good" products are out there and what route I should go with.
9 REPLIES 9

MdMike1007
Explorer
Explorer
http://s1221.photobucket.com/user/fd1007/library/RV%20Roof?sort=3&page=1

Shows the rubber roof removed, water damage to sheathing and framework, repaired framing and new sheathing panel.

Sorry for the order of the pics but it is late and photo bucket has changed since I last used it!

I will post more pics as the work progresses and the company sends the updated pics!

MdMike1007
Explorer
Explorer
I have a similar issue but will be repairing it this week and tearing off the entire rubber roof and replacing it with a spray on beeliner like roof. My soft spot is in a corner like yours but there is no tear. These guys will replace the rotted wood, inspect for further damage and over lap spray the seams in sides and ends of camper. 20 year warranty and no more caulking! Will post pics as job progresses and is completed.

Frankandbeans
Explorer
Explorer
bobbyclobber wrote:
Frankandbeans wrote:
Thanks for the reply. So it is on the edge of the membrane (Where the rain channel on the side is). How far off would my plan be in this case?

- Remove that rain channel to remove the screws/staples on the side holding the EDPM down.

- Cut two slits in the rubber roof so that I can peel up, starting from the edge obviously, the roof allowing me to access the rotted wood.

- Repair wood and use whatever EDPM glue to adhere roof to the new repaired wood.

Now the big question - what about the seams from the cuts? Obviously it should be mostly sealed from the glue that I would imagine would overflow out of the cuts, but just to verify, I can just use the Eternabond tape to seal that seam, right?

I have the exact same problem , soft area , similar size and scope , and was wondering how you made out. I'll probably do the same procedure with mine, thanks, Bob

Getting too cold to work on it...put a tarp covering the entire roof so it's covered for the winter and will mess with it in the spring.

I believe I did find the cause of the leak, a very small (1/2" or so) tear in the EDPM, probably from a tree branch or something. I used some Eternabond and that Flex-seal stuff ("as seen on TV") to patch in the mean time.

Maybe if I'm really lucky, a Shark-nado will hit the area and I can file a total loss claim with my insurance company, claiming the trailer got destroyed by flying sharks. Then I'll go back to an enclosed trailer and not have to deal with this stuff anymore.

RVcircus
Explorer II
Explorer II
Be sure to inspect for additional rot/water damage beneath the plywood. When I went to fix my roof corners it turned into an entire roof, the rear half of the trailers walls, and 6' of floor joists. It's amazing what secrets siding can hide if you don't look closely.
2000 KZ Sportsman 2505 (overhauled & upgraded 2014)
2016 Chevy Express 3500 15 passanger van
6 humans, 2 cats, and a dog
Visit our blog at www.ROWLESmade.com
Our trailer re-build thread

bobbyclobber
Explorer
Explorer
Frankandbeans wrote:
Thanks for the reply. So it is on the edge of the membrane (Where the rain channel on the side is). How far off would my plan be in this case?

- Remove that rain channel to remove the screws/staples on the side holding the EDPM down.

- Cut two slits in the rubber roof so that I can peel up, starting from the edge obviously, the roof allowing me to access the rotted wood.

- Repair wood and use whatever EDPM glue to adhere roof to the new repaired wood.

Now the big question - what about the seams from the cuts? Obviously it should be mostly sealed from the glue that I would imagine would overflow out of the cuts, but just to verify, I can just use the Eternabond tape to seal that seam, right?

I have the exact same problem , soft area , similar size and scope , and was wondering how you made out. I'll probably do the same procedure with mine, thanks, Bob
2008,Victory Lane 36rv toyhauler reese pro series, voyageur
2011 LTZ Silverado 3500HD doolley, 20k reese, line-x

westend
Explorer
Explorer
I think you have it but it may not be necessary to cut any slits in the membrane. A lot depends on where the repair needs to be done. The metal trim edge on the roof and the adhesive is what holds the membrane in place.

when you reattach the trim edge use stainless fasteners and/or seal the fasteners in the holes. Fastening through Eternabond tapes seals the fasteners, too.
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

BarneyS
Explorer III
Explorer III
Frankandbeans wrote:
Snip...

That is exactly what I would do. The Eternabond tape will seal up the cuts. If you want to make absolutely sure, just put a bead of Dicor self leveling caulk on the edge of the tape after you put it down and rub it in.

That step is probably not necessary however. I used Eternabond tape on all the seams of my trailer 8 or 9 years ago and it still looks like new and does not leak. I did not put caulk on the edges. Your plan looks good to me. ๐Ÿ™‚
Barney
2004 Sunnybrook Titan 30FKS TT
Hensley "Arrow" 1400# hitch (Sold)
Not towing now.
Former tow vehicles were 2016 Ram 2500 CTD, 2002 Ford F250, 7.3 PSD, 1997 Ram 2500 5.9 gas engine

Frankandbeans
Explorer
Explorer

westend
Explorer
Explorer
Usually. you can lift the EPDM membrane off the rotten roof sheathing if the damage is towards the edge of the membrane. Some rotten wood may stick to the underside but is easy to remove. After completing the wood repair, glue the membrane back down with EPDM adhesive.

Tears or cuts can be repaired with Eternabond tape.
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton