Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Roof Coating - Finally applied bedliner to my roof & pics

Golden_HVAC
Explorer
Explorer
Hi,
10-12-14 edit.

I really liked the idea of the herculiner roof, and many have asked how it worked out for me. Well it is peeling off in some sections, and that I was not to happy about. So I just got finished with cleaning the whole roof, and recoating it with some two part roof coating (second link in the original post).

Where I had taken the time and cleaned the roof really well, and applied a thick coat of Herculiner, it seems to be holding up. But then I got lazy and put on 4 more gallons to the rest of the roof, and did not clean it well, and in many locations it went on really thin. The thick herculiner is still there, and will not pull off the roof. Some thinner areas, I was able to scrub it off with a washcloth. I do know the first area I did around my bathroom skylight and towards the rearward solar panels, and I covered the side of the RV with plastic, and washed it really well. That area, and where it was applied thick is still in great shape.

However it was so much easier to apply the two part roof coating tonight. And I did have to scrub and dry each square foot of the roof really well. The coating was put on thick. I only bought 5 gallons, and think that I will need another 5 to finish the project.

Because my RV has been in covered RV storage for a year, I can not really walk around on the roof, but have about 3' clearance between the roof and some bird screen to keep birds out of the attic area of the storage place. So it is really difficult on my knees to work on it. But next weekend I should be able to finish the whole roof again. Sad that it only lasted a few years, I was very hopeful about it.

I have been talking about applying white bedliner to my roof for the past year or so, and collecting opinions of what to use, how it worked, ect. Even talked with a couple of people who had Rino Liner installed on their roof. White color is optional, and takes about 2 weeks to arrive. Cost for Rino Liner installed is around $3,000 - $4,250. Part of the high cost involves washing the old roof well, and having to remove the A/C covers, and roof vents. Masking anything that you don't want coated with the rino liner, and getting it into a huge spray booth with proper ventilation. It is a 3 day process too.

I decided to use Herculiner, do it yourself roll on white bedliner material. As the time got closer, and I started to collect the required equipment, I chickened out - two weekends in a row! Herculiner is rubber pellets disolved in Xyelene, and like acetone, will disolve normal govles, so special ones from Graingers that will last 16 hours when exposed to Acetone or Xyelene where ordered, along with a chemical carbon gas respirator. Chemical resistant coveralls and some other painting supplys from Home Depot (blue masking tape, .7 mil plastic to protect the sides of the RV, extra paint brushes, and metal paint stir for a drill to keep the rubber in suspension in the chemicals). These extra where about $150 in supplies.

Acetone is nothing to play around with, neither is Xyelene. Here is the website for Herculiner. I ordered white bedliner.

http://www.herculiner.com/product_info.html

My 14 year old rubber roof had almost all the white parts of the EPDM roof flake off, leaving behind large black areas, that all the white came off when scrubbed with some TSP soap. Instructions call for cleaning with TSP (Tri Sodioum Phosphate) a mild and great soap, then clean with acetone, then wait for that to evaperate, and apply the bed liner material.

The installation went really well. My fears where not founded, and it applied well, thick, and I was able to pour some material directly on the roof, move it around with a paint brush, then direct it over the side, to the masking tape line, and get it even and to the edge that I wanted, without any going down the side of the RV onto the plastic.

I put extra material around each solar panel mount, and covered those extra well. And also coated well around each roof vent, and the shower skylight. The skylight had been leaking, and there had been places where the old roof had shrunk, and hairline cracks up to 1/8" wide where in places.

I really should have done this 2-3 years ago, when the roof was in much better shape.

My friend did a similar roof repair, yet he used something else. His was much easier to apply, and took about 3 gallons to complete his 30' fifth wheel. It is also a bright white finish, and looks like it will last for years. Probably a lot thicker than the original roofing, and should be quiet in the rain, as well as better insulation, and no white streaks.

http://www.epdmcoatings.com/rv_roof_repair.html

By using a two part roof material, he has a roof that will not disolve in the rain. I had put a single part product on my old camper roof back in 1995, and it did disolve in the rain after sitting in Washington for a few years. It was a white roof coating sold by Home Depot at that time. Don't recall the brand name though.

So I wanted to use something a little harder, and I think the bedliner coating will be difficult to cut with a knife! All I need to do now is get 3 more gallons of the stuff, and apply it to the roof. The first gallon covered an area about 4' x 12' long, and around most of my roof vents, skylights, and solar panel mounts. Now I just have to cover the rest of the roof. It should go well, and take about 40 minutes per gallon, not including time to wash the roof, and relocate the solar panels.

IF I had known about the EPDM coating, and it does not require a chemical mask to install it, I might have used that. Yet I had already ordered the bedliner material, and I have my heart set on that super tough bedliner material now.

For those with white streaks on the RV sidewall, and wanting to get rid of them, the EPDM coating in the link above will not cause white streaks! For that, it is worth it. It would have been great to install the EPDM coating when my RV was only 8 - 9 years old, when the roof was still in great condition, because it makes the roof totally 1 peice, with no seams anymore. The same coating covers all the joints, right to the side of the roof vent, or to a certain part of the skylight. You protect the area you don't want coated with masking tape, and remove the masking tape while the product is still not fully cured, so it will come off cleanly.

Yet the EPDM coating is going to be slippery when wet. Not a problem for my friend, who does not get on his RV roof (until that plant was growing out of the roof material). With my solar panels, I wanted something a little more non-slip, and the Herculiner is non-slip, should be very quiet in the rain, and very durable.

And no more white streaks - Priiceless!

Fred.
Money can't buy happiness but somehow it's more comfortable to cry in a

Porsche or Country Coach!

If there's a WILL, I want to be in it!

I havn't been everywhere, but it's on my list.

Kangen.com Alkaline water

Escapees.com
76 REPLIES 76

kutch2001
Explorer
Explorer
I'm about to start this similar project as have a 35' class A, about 20 years old, and it's the original roof on there, so it's barely holding on. Purchased the RV back in August and have been doing odd things here and there, but need to focus on roof now.

Couple questions which didn't see addressed here.

Around the shower skylight I have an excessive amount of caulk, it looks to be the roof leveling sealant used for patching these rubber roofs. Did you remove any of your existing caulking prior to putting HercuLiner on your roof? I was gonna strip it off and put some caulking around the seam, let it dry for a day or two, and then coat the roof, see any problems?

Looks like can't get HercuLiner in white anymore, not that my searching could find. Found a similar product, Grizzly Grip http://grizzlygrip.com/. Emailed them and they said that some of their customers use it for RV roofs and generally lasts 8 years or so before have to refresh it with one coat. Does this ring a bell at all? Seems to be the same type of mixture, and can get in white.

Golden_HVAC
Explorer
Explorer
John&Joey wrote:
Any reason why you didn't use this product Clicky.

Seems to be common where I'm currently located, and it is much cheaper and easier to apply.

I used a gallon of one part water based roof coating on my 1972 camper with a aluminum roof. It had seams that where leaking and the crimp was coming apart in 1995, when I coated it. In 1996, I sold the camper and truck to my sister in Washington, where the camper was able to sit with standing water on the roof. The roof sealant disolved, and water leaked inside, destroying the camper, it ended up in a junkyard.

The Herculiner is only one part, but actually is two. The plastic and the chemical it is disolved in. Once the Zeylene is evaporated, the plastic roof coating it leaves behind will not simply disolve by being underwater, or out in the rain or bright sun.

The other link that I have on the first post is a two part roof coating. Also that once the catalysist is disolved and mixed into the coating, then applied, dried, it will not disolve when left underwater. Even rain soon after application will not cause white stuff to run off the roof.

Best part about the Herculiner is no more white streaks on the side of the RV!

Fred.

Escapees.com

Golden_HVAC
Explorer
Explorer
PennyPA wrote:
I'd like to know how much weight the rhino-liner stuff added to the roof?

The weight should be less than 30 pounds once dried.

Fred.

Escapees.com

RVUSA
Explorer
Explorer
64thunderbolt wrote:
I'm in Az and is why I want to apply something. The sun is taking it's toll.

You can get this as ACE Hardware, around $105/pail. I put it on almost 2 years ago and still no leaks. a 5 gallon pail was enough to do 4 coats on a 39 foot class A. The roof itself was 10 years old, and had sat in Phx. for a year and a half. It was beat up from the sun.

It is EPDM compatible.

clicky

spoon059
Explorer II
Explorer II
In a recent RV magazine I noticed an ad for Rhino Lining the roof. First time I have seen it advertised as such! Way to be a trendsetter Golden!!!
2015 Ram CTD
2015 Jayco 29QBS

PennyPA
Explorer
Explorer
I'd like to know how much weight the rhino-liner stuff added to the roof?
COPD and LVRS
On the Road Again

My Home - 2002 Glendale Titanium, 32/37DS with a basement slide.
Our Home's Leader - Dodge Ram 3500 Cummins Turbo Diesel Dually

Our Leaders - Sam(Bird), Chirp(Bird), Nellie(FAT cat), Lucy(Kitten), Willie(Dog) & Daisy(Dog)

westend
Explorer
Explorer
John&Joey wrote:
westend wrote:
... Freds coating is miles better and you won't have to repaint every few years.

Do you mean Henry's? I've never heard of Freds.

westend wrote:
... Note: the elastomeric paint has very low sealing qualities, in fact, IMO, none.

Could you please explain this. Do you mean as in seams? or an overall roof application?

Fred, as in the guy who started this thread and is referenced in the two posts at the top of the previous page, AKA Golden HVAC.

The elastomeric roof coatings are basically latex paint with added compatible filler (I would assume that is additional latex). I added my opinion into the overall description of the product so anyone using it won't hope that it seals leaks or affords any real protection against an existing water problem. It does not, IMO. It's most important benefit is to reflect light and lower roof temps (also makes the roof look clean and newish).

FWIW, my roof is standing seam aluminum. I spent a lot of time removing old sealers, installing Eternabond tape to all possible water intrusion areas, and cleaning, prior to using the elastomeric roof product. I sprayed the coating on in two coats, using a conventional airless sprayer. Rolling and/or brushing would be another method of application. It took me longer to mask off the roof than it took to apply the coating, three hours of work, in total.
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
John&Joey wrote:
westend wrote:
... Freds coating is miles better and you won't have to repaint every few years.

?

Fred is Golden. ๐Ÿ™‚
bumpy

John_Joey
Explorer
Explorer
64thunderbolt wrote:
John&Joey wrote:

Seems to be common where I'm currently located, and it is much cheaper and easier to apply.

I'm retired and work @ HD and have looked at this product. Has anyone personally used it?

After much digging this is what I found

"Not for use on EPDM or some single ply membrane."

Last paragraph on this Spec Sheet Clicky.
Thereโ€™s no fool, like an old fool.

John_Joey
Explorer
Explorer
westend wrote:

westend wrote:
... Note: the elastomeric paint has very low sealing qualities, in fact, IMO, none.

Could you please explain this. Do you mean as in seams? or an overall roof application?

westend
Explorer
Explorer
Yup, I used elastomeric roof paint, it is painless to apply. Freds coating is miles better and you won't have to repaint every few years. Note: the elastomeric paint has very low sealing qualities, in fact, IMO, none.

'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

64thunderbolt
Explorer II
Explorer II
I'm in Az and is why I want to apply something. The sun is taking it's toll.
Glen
04 Tail gator XT 34' 5th wheel garage model
200w solar 2 GC2's 800w inv
Truma tankless WH
99 F350 CC DRW 7.3 ais intake, adrenaline hpop, JW valve body,
cooling mist water inj, DP tunes, 4" exh sys
trucool trans cooler added
2011 RZR 900xp

John_Joey
Explorer
Explorer
64thunderbolt wrote:
John&Joey wrote:

I'm retired and work @ HD and have looked at this product. Has anyone personally used it?

I plan on using it this winter. Several in this snowbird park use the product and have no complaints. They seem to re-apply it after 3-5 years, but down here the sun is brutal and the owners are very particular (and retired with time.)

Only thing is they tell me the roof has to very clean. Which would be true with just about any product.

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
John&Joey wrote:

looks sorta like koolseal which I used on my mobile home about45 years ago.
bumpy

64thunderbolt
Explorer II
Explorer II
John&Joey wrote:

Glen
04 Tail gator XT 34' 5th wheel garage model
200w solar 2 GC2's 800w inv
Truma tankless WH
99 F350 CC DRW 7.3 ais intake, adrenaline hpop, JW valve body,
cooling mist water inj, DP tunes, 4" exh sys
trucool trans cooler added
2011 RZR 900xp